portion sizes?

assj

Silver Member
i am a little confused, i am used to having quite large portions at dinner, i am trying to make them smaller however i am wondering that if a large proportion of my dinner is vegetables am i right in thinking that portion size doesnt matter?

i bet that sounds confusing but hope you get the gist and an answer cause i am confused. :confused::confused:

Not confusing at all :)

It's pretty hard to have too many vegetables.

As a rough guide, your protein needs to be about the size of your palm and the thickness of a deck of cards. Vegetables about 1/2 fists. Potatoes or other starches about the size of a computer mouse :)

Last edited:
I also am used to having quiet big dinners so this is something that i have been thinking alot about. I do think the smaller plate is a good idea and i too will try that one, i did want to buy the diet plate but money is a bit tight at mo. I went to the dietician last week and asked about portion size for healthy things like veg and never got an answer and the subject was changed ( she was a trainee ) but in my opinion wasn't very helpful at all.

Also my problem is that when i have dinner on a small plate i tend to feel hungry even though calorie wise i have had enough. Like last night for example, i cooked curry so i normally dish it up in bowl for the kids so that i don't fill their plates with rice which is easy done with a curry so anyway i thought i would have the same but a smaller portion so i also had a small bowl with a tiny amount of rice but after i was still very hungry and then had something else which would have taken me over my calories for the day.

Its very hard to get it right when it comes to portion sizes, calories and feeling like you have eaten enough, all these words don't really fit together very well.

I also am used to having quiet big dinners so this is something that i have been thinking alot about. I do think the smaller plate is a good idea and i too will try that one, i did want to buy the diet plate but money is a bit tight at mo. I went to the dietician last week and asked about portion size for healthy things like veg and never got an answer and the subject was changed ( she was a trainee ) but in my opinion wasn't very helpful at all.

Also my problem is that when i have dinner on a small plate i tend to feel hungry even though calorie wise i have had enough. Like last night for example, i cooked curry so i normally dish it up in bowl for the kids so that i don't fill their plates with rice which is easy done with a curry so anyway i thought i would have the same but a smaller portion so i also had a small bowl with a tiny amount of rice but after i was still very hungry and then had something else which would have taken me over my calories for the day.

Its very hard to get it right when it comes to portion sizes, calories and feeling like you have eaten enough, all these words don't really fit together very well.

hi hayley, i understand your difficulties, curry isnt a filling satisfying meal, try something a bit more filling, like a jacket potatoe with beans or a tuna/lowfat mayo filling and a side salad if desired, its more filling and satisfying, less calories as well so the idea is being fuller of something more healthy.

If you're hungry between meals, try this really low calorie, really filling snack (i often have it for lunch). 100g mushrooms fried in a little stock and garlic - no oil (15-20 cals). One poached egg (80 cals). One slice WW bread (50 cals).

I love this because the egg is so filling, the mushrooms are low cal and the toast adds some substance. It is lovely and i often add a sliced tomato too for flavour!

Lemony - what a fantastic snack. I will have to try that one.

If you're hungry between meals, try this really low calorie, really filling snack (i often have it for lunch). 100g mushrooms fried in a little stock and garlic - no oil (15-20 cals). One poached egg (80 cals). One slice WW bread (50 cals).

I love this because the egg is so filling, the mushrooms are low cal and the toast adds some substance. It is lovely and i often add a sliced tomato too for flavour!

That sound fantastic!

hi hayley, i understand your difficulties, curry isnt a filling satisfying meal, try something a bit more filling, like a jacket potatoe with beans or a tuna/lowfat mayo filling and a side salad if desired, its more filling and satisfying, less calories as well so the idea is being fuller of something more healthy.

Funny you should mention jacket spud as i had one for dinner last night and felt fine all evening. I wont be having curry with the family again in fear of filling up on something else after, thx for you advice. Sorry to have hijacked someone else's thread a little there.

Funny you should mention jacket spud as i had one for dinner last night and felt fine all evening. I wont be having curry with the family again in fear of filling up on something else after, thx for you advice. Sorry to have hijacked someone else's thread a little there.

just an idea, you could still have the curry, on a jacket spud, you wont need as much of it but can have some curry as well with your family and it will fill you up more.

this sounds really really nice im going to try this.

As a curry fan, if it is homemade you can control what goes into it. A great tip from many moons ago was, instead of having rice or nan, cook a large portion of cauliflower, until firm not mushy. Lighty break it up and use as a bed for your curry instead of rice. Delicious, heathlier and positively virtuous !

As a curry fan, if it is homemade you can control what goes into it. A great tip from many moons ago was, instead of having rice or nan, cook a large portion of cauliflower, until firm not mushy. Lighty break it up and use as a bed for your curry instead of rice. Delicious, heathlier and positively virtuous !

sounds nice but i think my bottom would burp rather loudly off that 1 :D

Back