portions of protein and fats

Diadeb

Banned
Hi Everyone, I am new to Atkins and am getting the books from library tomorrow. I have been counting the carbs on my nutritional scales and have been on around 20g per last 2 days. My question is, is there a limit on protein and fats ? as in Protein Power by Dr's Eades I should be only on 60g per day and sometimes I find this restricting. Also os there a limit on fats?, many thanks to everyone for the replies, Debra x

Hi Diadeb! :wavey:

As long as around 60-80% comes from fats and around 15-25% from protein, you shouldn't have to worry about quantities. Your body will naturally tell you that you're full and you'll eat less anyway. :)

I'm a special case, but I'm working on it. :rolleyes:

Welcome. :)

Special case! Hahaha, nice one Steve.

I don't really measure my protein or fats. Like Steve says my body just tells me when I've had enough, which never happened with carbs! It's just got to do they same with the booze :D

Hi Debra, welcome to our little forum.

Hello to everyone and thanks for the warm introductions and information. For the last week I have weighed everything that has gone into my body-trying to keep to 60g protein, 20g carbs and not sure about fats. I have just obtained from the library Robert Atkins books and so shall raed them. Thsi might sound silly Setanti but when you said 60-80% of fats and 15-25% protein, what exactly did you mean, how many cals am I supposed to have each day and is it a % of that?, thanks, Debra x

Debra, if memory serves Dr Atkins recommended a minimum daily intake of 1600-1800 kcals for women and 1800-2000 kcals for men. The percentages I quoted from rough memory should be from this amount. I use fatsecret.com to track my calorie intake.

You'll get a far better understanding from reading the book. You really don't have to be that precise, most people don't measure or weigh at all! :)

Debra I think you will find that most of us just count the carbs and don't worry about calculating the fat and protein.The thing to do is to eat until you feel full but not stuffed and don't worry about the calories unless you lose nothing after the first 2 weeks on induction.
Hope this helps.
lorna

Back