post 100%

Dahlia Rose

Silver Member
i was just wondering has anyone given any thought to what diet they are going to follow (if any) after refeeding? i've heard good things about the GL diet! i've another 2 or 3 months to go on TFR but im gonna try do as much research into the best plan for me any suggestions? i think its best to be prepared well in advance!

hi hun i was thinking about that gi/gl too. im not sure about atkins everyone seems to be going on to that but personally i dont think that it helps you with regards to healthy options and i thought it was dangerous didnt they try to ban it cos it gives people heart problems?

what is that gl/gi i havnt looked in to to be honest just heard it was good

i havent really wrapped my head around it yet but ive just been searching on the net!

i found this on GL for DUMMIES
"if you’re sick of no-carb diets, or just looking for a healthy eating plan, then the GL Diet is for you. No more calculations, no calorie-counting and no more cravings for carbs – as long as you stick to foods that are low in GL, you can stay healthy and lose weight without having to go without"

sounds good to me

aparently patrick holford is suppose to be really good to i have a few friends who have recommended it.

me too i think i might need that gl for dummies as i had 2 books here but just didnt get it they were too complicated lol

I think i might join weight watchers for a while and eat their meals (usually £1 in Iceland).. I won't go to the meetings though.. Hubby is doing it now so i will just use his books, trackers etc.

Good luck to you all, whichever one you choose x x

i did weight watchers about 10 years ago lol and it worked but its getting into it again without going to meetings.

Have a look in my diary (last couple of pages) for a long, drawn out (and probably boring!!) explanation of exactly what I'm going to do. It'll take me about 3 months to transfer from TFR to eating what I hope will be my 'maintenance' diet for the rest of my life - that coupled with the 3.5 TFR I hope will be enough to have broken bad habits and set up good ones. Scientists say it takes 1000 reptitions of doing something for it to become habit (including habitually buying chocolate in petrol stations and so on!) so I figure it'll also take at least 1000 repetitions of NOT doing something to break the habit. That's why I personally don't think the 1 week LT refeed is effective at all. The TFR is easy - it's forming new GOOD habits when actually eating again that is the tricky bit!

Have a look in my diary (last couple of pages) for a long, drawn out (and probably boring!!) explanation of exactly what I'm going to do. It'll take me about 3 months to transfer from TFR to eating what I hope will be my 'maintenance' diet for the rest of my life - that coupled with the 3.5 TFR I hope will be enough to have broken bad habits and set up good ones. Scientists say it takes 1000 reptitions of doing something for it to become habit (including habitually buying chocolate in petrol stations and so on!) so I figure it'll also take at least 1000 repetitions of NOT doing something to break the habit. That's why I personally don't think the 1 week LT refeed is effective at all. The TFR is easy - it's forming new GOOD habits when actually eating again that is the tricky bit!

Hear Hear......it would be interesting to know just how many of us have lost weight before, perhaps several times, only to put it back on again! and each time we tell ourselves that we won't do it again.........why do we do it to ourselves:confused:

i was just wondering has anyone given any thought to what diet they are going to follow (if any) after refeeding? i've heard good things about the GL diet! i've another 2 or 3 months to go on TFR but im gonna try do as much research into the best plan for me any suggestions? i think its best to be prepared well in advance!

I've no diet devised at all, I'm just changing the way I eat and setting that trend for the coming years.

It sounds easy now and I'm sure it'll be tough but jumping from different diet to different diet may work for some (a very tiny percentage) but it seems most have tried them all and ended up here on this site. I can see exactly where I was going wrong and am putting plans and steps in place to make sure it doesn't happen again. I haven't felt this good about myself in years, no way am I letting this opportunity slip.

If you guys are planning on low gi/gl then hop over to the low gi forum on here and take a goose at IrishMollys diary. She came off TFR and lost lots more weight by following low gi/gl :)

Thanks tanya. What are you doing now

I'm thinking about this a lot just now as I have 2 weeks left of tfr. I think I am going to try general healthy eating with treats and wine sometimes but then cut back for the next few days. Keep an eye on my weight and not eat rubbish foods. Also plan to cook a bunch of healthy ready meals and soups for me to eat to keep the snacking at bay. x

It's great to start thinking about what to do after TFR. Planning is so important as anyone on the maintenance threads will tell you. It may be a bit of trial and error to find a plan that suits you and your lifestyle.
I lost 87lbs on TFR and then switched to GL to maintain that loss and lose a bit more. I've lost another 30lbs on GL.
All the GI/GL stuff is a bit confusing. Both are a way of maintaining the blood sugars at an even level throughout the day as it is dips in the levels that makes us feel starving.
Having a diet that includes carbs with a low GL means we can lose weight while enjoying our food.

I read Holford, Denby, Gallop and loads more. Some use traffic lights, some count GL points and it can be confusing.
I have not been obsessive about counting GLs and have adapted it to suit me.
I drastically cut back bread/potato/pasta/rice. I have mainly veg that grows above ground and almost cut out red meat.
Instead I have fish, chicken, beans, lentils, quinoa, rye crackers and oatcakes. In addition to having these low GL options I keep an eye to overall calorie intake, again not obsessively, but it helps keeps portion sizes in check.
I also think it is very easy to adapt to this following TFR as old habits and tastes have already been broken.
I am almost wheat free as well as it is high carb and makes me very sluggish.
It may not be a plan that suits everyone. Personally, I think it is fab as I never ever feel ravenous anymore. I enjoy what I eat, can have treats and a few drinks.
Adopt an 80/20 rule no matter what plan you follow. Be good for 80% of the time and allow yourself a little treat the other 20%.
You're doing great so keep it up.

Back