potatoe question

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by nettleboo, 15 September 2011 Social URL.

1. nettleboo

nettleboo Full Member

im doing salad pots oven cooked tonight like roasties and the weight per cals is on the front of the packet now my question is do i weigh them before cooking for the cals or after cos the weight changes with being cooked when i do a jacket pot i always weigh the cooked weight to get the cals.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    I weigh them before cooking, in my experience a jacket potato shrinks by between 25% and 30% when you bake it because the water evaporates, that's a lot of variance and calories right there, and because every cooked potato is going to be slightly different (a few minutes more or less + diff in size = different percentage of water lost) I would never use estimates for cooked potato from a book... ditto rice and pasta actually.

(Full disclosure - I'm naturally quite an obsessive person, I happily calculate my calories to point ten of a single calorie for example, so this might not be the best approach for everyone, by a long way. :8855:)

4. Bostik

Bostik Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12.2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st9lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1.8lb(36.05%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I'd weigh before cooking.

5. thatlittlebit

thatlittlebit Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(36.76%)
    I'm obsessive but not to a tenth but I do weigh before

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.