Prayers And Positive Thoughts Needed Please

Mrs Depp

Gold Member
I'm asking a huge favour of all you lovely people on Minis.

A very good friend of mine, Lynn, has a young cousin in the Army, he's only 19 years old and stationed in Afghanistan. His name is Andrew.

Last week he stepped on a landmine.

He was flown back over here to be treated and has been in an induced coma ever since.

He's having an operation on his eye today to see if it can be saved.

On Tuesday they've scheduled a major operation on his leg, hopefully to save it, but it's 50/50 either way.

He's in an induced coma because the hospital have informed his dad that there's a very very high risk of infection and if that happens they'll have their work cut out trying to keep him alive.

I'm not religious person but I do believe in the power of prayer and positive thoughts, so all I'm asking is that whoever reads this, and feels that they can, please take five minutes out of your day to think of this poor young man because he needs all the help he can get.

Thank you xxxxxxx

Oh Mrs D what terribly sad news, rest assured this courageous young man is in my thoughts - please let us know how he is doing.

Sending lots of healing hugs

xx

Had a phone call from Lynn this afternoon, she says Andrew underwent a 9 hour operation yesterday and they've managed to save his legs. He's still sedated but seems to be more stable than he was. Obviously still in Intensive Care but they're thinking of taking him off sedation over the next couple of days to see if he can stay calm.

Good news!! :):)

Thanks ladies! I'm so pleased for Lynn, she was distraught when I spoke to her earlier this week as he's her favourite cousin and even though there's a bit age gap they're still really close. :D

Andrew was due to leave the Army in April this year too, he wanted to train as a Firefighter, don't know how possible that will be for him as I'm assuming that his legs took the brunt of the bomb before the other injuries and his eye. :(

It's a real nasty twist of fate but great news that they saved his legs. He has age on his side so recovery should be good so long as he keeps a PMA

I said much the same to Lynn today Taz, she was saying it's hard to stay positive and was wondering why he was being kept sedated, kept getting upset. But I told her that when I had septaecemia they sedated me for 3 days mainly because I kept trying to pull all the tubes out of my body and was fighting to get out of the bed. They do say that sleep is a great healer, and a positive attitude. :)

Spoken to Lynn again today and she says that there's still a 50-50 chance Andrew will lose a leg, but that they're looking on the positive side of the 50 not the negative. He's awake and Lynn tells me he's been flirting with one particular nurse (she said that's typical Andrew lol!) He's fully aware of what happened and has been having flashbacks and can remember everything that happened, but is coping with them better than expected. Lynn says he's always had a sensible head on his shoulders but they're prepared for the bad times when they arrive what with PTSD etc.

Apparently he was only 3 feet from the bomb and the doctors are surprised he's alive to be honest. They've commented on this fact and told him that he's very lucky indeed, Andrew told them "My mum was with me", his mum died (I think) 8 or 9 years ago from cancer.

Lynn can't wait to visit him but that won't be for another month or so due to the risk of infection etc, but I'm sure she'll at least manage to speak to him on the phone. I've passed all your good wishes on to her and she's so very grateful for all the positive vibes and prayers and sends love back to Minimins.

Back