Pre Christmas blues

jaylou

Gold Member
It is just me who gets the pre Christmas blues?
I am so busy, I have such a huge list of things to do and it really really gets me down :sigh:
It's all stuff hubby doesn't quite get too.
I want to get the house tidied up (all the stuff that shouldn't be lying around needs putting away) I have a stack of ironing to do, I want the kitchen cleaned before I start the cooking (properly cleaned - including the oven)
I want the washbaskets empty.
I have to wrap presents and get them hidden, I haven't finished shopping yet, I haven't written cards.....

Oh dear me. I love Christmas so much and really look forward to a week off relaxing and enjoying the company of my family but the run up to it is so stressful.

I know I should chill out a bit and hide the ironing etc but.......

Anyone else get super stressed out by the run up?

That could have been written by me!!! And just to throw a further spanner in the works we all have flu so am struggling to keep on top of anything at all.

I have so much to do, the girls have been off school all week and don't look likely to go back before they break up, so I won't have any child-free opportunities in the day time to get things done, and the house would probably look better if a bomb did hit it.

I have learnt my lesson. I was always the same rushing round, having so many high expectations and planning, shopping, cleaning you name it.

However for 3 years running I made myself ill and I always became unwell on boxing day it was as if my body just shut down and I had to go to bed. One year I got flu and I was practically delirious for 3 days it was awful I even missed the newcastle match :eek: we were all due to go for a family day out :D my FIL went.

So now its all calm, I started my shopping in August when we had some extra cash and i'm just doing bits and pieces now and looking forward to going to Prague on the 27th (OH xmas present :D he doesn't know)

So lesson definitely learnt.

Have a good one Jay.

I buy Christmas pressies all year round & put them away in my Christmas box. I started making my Christmas cards in August, but now I just feel Christmas is upon us all too quickly.

I think my problem is I've done so much but over a long period I really just don't know what I have done & what is left to do:(

So note to self, make a list January what needs to be done & tick it off when I've done it.

Tonight I'm wrapping pressies & writing cards, this MUST be done with a glass of mulled wine:D

I just feel 'out of control' at the mo. Another thing which gets me stressed is food shopping, I hate with a passion shopping round this time of year, when there are so many people in the shops, but I think I maybe on to a winner. We have an Asda a few mins from work, so next Monday morning, before work, I'm doing my Christmas shop :DThen all Christmas preparations will be done.

Phew, thanks Jaylou, I now feel better putting it all down.

oh jaylou im another that could have written that post!!!
im exactly the same......and i swear if my hubby tells me to relax/chill/doesnt matter etc once more i will have the concealment of a body to add to my very long list!!!!!!!

Me too !!!! Though I am trying so hard to be a bit more relaxed this year.

I have nagged Paul like mad today to take the bedroom curtains down and the curtains over the bed head as I want to wash them............now why do I have to do that for Christmas? They are done now and tomorrow I want to do the sitting room curtains.

Today I have cleaned all the kitchen units and the appliances......again why........it's Christmas and not some inspection parade.

Jaylou, I am with you all the way !!

Ah this is such good catharsis.
Knowing I'm not the only neurotic one and knowing it helps to write it down!

That was me!!! However, I learnt two important lessons about me and everything else.

1. The world will not end and Christmas will not be ruined if the house isn't 'perfect'.

2. Delegation is not a four-letter word.

I know that it's hard to let go. I know that nobody else will do things exactly as you like. However - Christmas is coming!!!!

Out of everything that you have listed, I think that the most important ones are:

Christmas cards
Christmas presents (not the wrapping, just the buying)
then
Cleaning the kitchen (but only because you wont enjoy the cooking if it isn't)

Delegation is the key. I used to do everything too. Although I didn't cook the Christmas dinner, I had to buy presents for 13 people, and wrap them, and write the cards, and write the cards that we sent to the relatives etc. Plus I had the 'pressure' that in my stitch and craft group, nearly everyone sent handmade cards....(another 13 people!!). One year I had a mini meltdown.... My husband said that he would have done more to help but that I seemed able to cope!!!

For you, I would syn a LARGE sherry/tipple of your choice, take a deep breath, sit down with a paper and pen, and make lists.

For YOU - What bothers you the most??

1. Clean the kitchen. - No-one else will EVER do it to your satisfaction.
2. Split writing the cards - His family and friends? - He writes the cards. Joint friends? - Split the list.
3. Presents - Do you trust ANYONE else to buy the right things? If you are buying on the fly (ie trying to find a 'something' that you don't quite know yet) you have to do it. If you have a list, send out hubby. You still have time to change things if they've messed it up!!!!
4. Wrapping presents - If you have the money, buy gift bags/boxes (I spent quite a lot on these one year and just asked people (Immediate family only!!) to return the bags/boxes. They are currently on their 4th year I think!!! Pound shops seem to have quite a few bags/boxes this year (I think that I'm going to refresh my supplies!!) The presents just need a quick loose, un-sellotaped wrap round of tissue paper (to stop people peeking in the bags!!!).
5. As for the house.... I am slightly ashamed to admit this.... I choose one room (usually our bedroom) as the 'dump-site'. I get some boxes from when shopping (wine boxes/fruit boxes etc) and just give one to hubby. That way, the whole 'I don't know where this/anything should go so I left it' or the 'I know that I tidied up, but I can't remember where I put it, how was I supposed to know that it went there...' conversations don't need to happen. Anything that isn't where I thought it would be, is now in a box (marked XX room).
6. Clothes (and washing/ironing). Decide NOW what everyone will be wearing over Christmas/Boxing day. Make sure that they are cleaned and ironed. Everything else? As it comes!!! Split the washing into loads. Every night, program the machine, add the powder/conditioner, set the temperature. Before bed, leave a note on one load... All hubby then has to do, is put it in the machine and push the 'on' button. It's only a small thing, but it's the first rung on the ladder of delegation and domestication of the male!!!!
As for the ironing (a job I loathe!!) how about an early present from hubby - send it out/get someone in to do it for you???

Whatever happens....TRY TO ENJOY IT - You've only got a year until the next one!!!!!!

Happy Christmas Jaylou!!!!

P.S. Happy Holidays - I do ALL my shopping around Christmas time (both presents and food) with my MP3/ipod on. For me, heavy metal/rap and not 'Christmas songs' are the instrumental to my shop. I do love 'Christmas songs' but I always seem to be hearing the same ones (especially when I'm stuck in a queue and can't escape!!!)

Oooo this thread is just how I have been thinking...although mine is even worse this year, I was rushed into hospital 2 weeks ago, and am still unable to do anything but rest! So I have had to do all the remaining xmas shopping online...and pray that it all arrives in time.
The house to me is a total tip....with 4 kids aged 13, 16, 18 and 22 in the house its always a nightmare although to be fair they are trying far more than normal.
I cant give the house the normal pre xmas clean which is stressing me out, but beyond my control so have to try to accept it.
The only thing that will be clean is the new cooker which is being delivered on friday...although my latest stress is the fact I have always had gas and this one has an electric fan oven....burnt xmas dinner all round!
As you can tell I am bored...and have nothing to do but stress and worry about trivial things lol

^^^ what a fantastic post! I would rep you but I need to spread the love.

Thank you so much. xx

Done !!!! It is a fabulous post. I thought I was the only one that shoved things in boxes and dumped them in the spare room.

Oooo this thread is just how I have been thinking...although mine is even worse this year, I was rushed into hospital 2 weeks ago, and am still unable to do anything but rest! So I have had to do all the remaining xmas shopping online...and pray that it all arrives in time.
The house to me is a total tip....with 4 kids aged 13, 16, 18 and 22 in the house its always a nightmare although to be fair they are trying far more than normal.
I cant give the house the normal pre xmas clean which is stressing me out, but beyond my control so have to try to accept it.
The only thing that will be clean is the new cooker which is being delivered on friday...although my latest stress is the fact I have always had gas and this one has an electric fan oven....burnt xmas dinner all round!
As you can tell I am bored...and have nothing to do but stress and worry about trivial things lol

Sorry you have been in hospital Snuggles.....I think once again the key is delegation.
I changed from gas to electricity with a fan assisted oven a few years ago and must say I much prefer it even though I had always had gas. If the oven is arriving Friday you have time for a practice run. Things do cook faster so adjust the temp. or the time accordingly.

Get well, get strong and let everyone help you. It is only one day after all.

hugs xxxxxx

I've done absolutely nothing for Xmas.

With having Eryn, then my son's birthday last week I just haven't thought about it. I've no presents/cards even bought (apart from the kids pressies) I've not even got anything for xmas dinner.

My H works right up to Xmas eve & is doing nights & overtime so he works from 3pm-8am & when he comes home he sleeps so I can't even get him to do things.

It's difficult to go to the shops as it would be too much with a 2 year old & baby especially as I'd need to go on the bus.

We're also pretty skint as all the bills seem to come at once & they're priority. I think I'm just going to speak to my family & send them stuff in January (all in Ireland) which i'm sure they'll understand.

As for cleaning the house I've got a cleaner which I needed in the last few months I was preggers so she's coming on Monday so at least the house will be spotless.

I'm trying not to worry or get stressed but life goes on & it's to short to worry about it. At least I'll be with my 2 babies & H that's the priority.

XXX

Well today I feel a little better.
All the washing is done and some of the ironing was done by my daughter (her pile!). Cards were written last night whilst watching TV and I've started to "dump" stuff in the spare bedroom (I can always shut the door right?? Even though I know the mess will shout at me from through the door!!).
Last presents will be bought tonight, after that it's tough, no more buying.
Food shopping is planned in for Thursday next week.
Ahhhhh........

Cards tonight.........shopping tomorrow and Tuesday and then bring it on anything that is forgotten or not done.........tough.

Back