Pre school

Cakey

What age do you think is best for kids to start pre-school, 2 or 3? I'm asking because I'm trying to decide whether to put My little boy in pre school this September or next. If he starts this September he'll be going to an independant pre school but if he starts next year he'll be going to the one attached to the school he'll hopefully be going to.

I think I'd prefer him to go to the one attached to the school but on the other hand I think it'd be good for him to start earlier to try and improve his speech (he's 2 in June and still can't talk).

I'm useless at making decisions :confused::confused:

He is gorgeous, what a lovely looking little man.

I would do it now........can you do a trial period to see if he settles well and if you are happy with it.

If he likes it it will do him the world of good and stand him in good stead for when he starts *big* school.

Personally, and it is a personal decision, I think 3 is well young enough. They develop different skills and different rated, and it's not unsuaual to ahve very little speech at this age. You can still go to toddler groups and stuff. But I think 3 is early enough, then he can go where you want, and move up to school with his new litytle pals.

Personally, and it is a personal decision, I think 3 is well young enough. They develop different skills and different rated, and it's not unsuaual to ahve very little speech at this age. You can still go to toddler groups and stuff. But I think 3 is early enough, then he can go where you want, and move up to school with his new litytle pals.

This right here. What she said. Yes. That. :D

Definitely 3 years old. It upsets me when you see these tiny 2 year olds going off to pre-school (sometimes in uniform) with with 16 years of school in front of them. The best education you can give your little one is to keep them at home with you, do activities at home, trips to other places and just be part of everyday life. I don't mean fill everyday with things to do as I think that is unrealistic. You can make going to the supermarket educational if you want. I think just being part of a household is an education in itself and being with his mummy is all he would want anyway.

My little girl, will be 3 in july. She has just started going to play group, its only 1 day a week for 2 1/2 hours.
I could not let her do anymore than this because I wont to make the most of the time we have before she starts school. But it helps me, im so attached to her, i miss her more then she misses me.
I will be lost without her (when she starts school) I have to let go a little, but to me she is still my little baby.
But she is very grown up, talks well and likes to mother everyone!

Feel like my son has grown up so much now he is at school and he likes to do after school clubs, so I dont feel we have much time together in the week.

I think it very much depends on your child. My daughter went for an hour and a half a week as soon as she was 2. She was very independent, confident, an excellent communicator and was keen to go. She really enjoyed it and has never looked back! My son on the other hand is just 2 and I couldn't imagine him going yet. He is less confident, nowhere near her level at communicating and is much more sensitive and needy. He definitely still needs me at the moment and I wouldn't dream of leaving him at pre-school for a good while yet, I think it would utterly traumatise him! You know your lovely little lad best and you should trust your judgement. Good luck whatever you decide.

My little boy had been doing nursery for a school day once a week for almost a year and is due to start pre-school in september when he is free, 15 free, don't know how we are going to break this down, maybe a few mornings a week for a few hours....

I agree 3 i think is young enoth
I think for the first few yrs they are better off with you learning things at home
Dont worry about your sons speech my son was exactly the same i blamed the fact on his oder sister speaking for him now he dosent shut up altho he is 14 now
The yrs really do fly by every minute is precious lesley

Its a very personal decision & only you know whats best for your little one. For me being a mum of a 2 and 3 year old I think 3 is young enough to be sending them off to school of any kind. They are tiny for such a short time that I want to savour every minute of it

Back