Pregnant on a VLCD

Ivy

Silver Member
Hi All

I have a quick question, i have a friend who wants to do a VLCD...well CD actually but i know she is trying to concieve also...but wants to shed a coupla lbs in the hopes this will improve the chances

what would happen if someone found out they were pregnant whilst on a VLCD...i know that they will certainly have to stop, but is there a chance being of the Ketosis or the fact that its a VLCD there may have been any harm done...

i know that at least some people are bound to at some stage fall pregnant on a VLCD

Please advise

Thanking you all in advance

Ivy

I think that as soon as a woman find out she is pregnant she has to stop CD all together. Not quite sure on the trying to conceive whilst following VLCD's but I know lots of people do get pregnant quite easily when on one!!

Hope this helps for now, but hopefully a CDC will answer officially.

If it helps my CDC (they are hubby and wife) stopped cd after loosing 5 st and she still had 2 to go when she found out she was preg.

Thanks

I know it seems very premediated but the question would of course still stand in case a get a client who DOES fall pregnant and i would like to a definite answer...

Forwarned is forarmed

I will watch this thread...hopefully more will reply with similar answers

Ivy

I am 99% sure if you are pregnant you can not do a VLCD.

Thanks for the replies, mucho appreiciated, but i am asking really if you wind up pregnant whilst on a VLCD rather than being already pregnant...what would happen

Ivy

You would have to stop Ivy.

would any harm already be done?

i know when people say 'friend' haha but its true...a pal.

Ivy

I fell pregnant in 2005 while on LL and I just had to stop immediately, no harm done. My little boy was born in Feb last year and he is perfect. I was only on the diet 2 weeks before I fell for him too lol.

LOL bendigoblue- awww am pleased for ya!!! glad the lad was fine!

thanks betty - nothing to tell girl! and is that 'no' you pharmacist said no problems would occur? plus did you get my PM missis?

Ivy

There is a lady on another Forum who fell pregnany while on CD. When she lost the baby the doctors told her that her being in ketosis during the time before she found out she was pregnant was very much probably the cause of her loss.
I wouldnt take the chance, plenty of ways to drop some lbs that arent going to endanger a pregnancy.

There is a lady on another Forum who fell pregnany while on CD. When she lost the baby the doctors told her that her being in ketosis during the time before she found out she was pregnant was very much probably the cause of her loss.
I wouldnt take the chance, plenty of ways to drop some lbs that arent going to endanger a pregnancy.

Not to deny any risk or anything like that, but there are so many reasons why people lose babies, sometimes there is no obvious reason so how can the Dr's pin it on being in ketosis?

I was ill when pregnant with my twins and couldn't eat, was in ketosis (had to wee on sticks then too) then but it didn't affect them other than when they were born they were small and had low blood sugar for a while.

I would have thought it was the reduced amount of calories that was more of a risk than being in ketosis. Surely since you're getting all the vitamins you need from the packs, if you take the folic acid etc and start eating properly as soon as you know (or maybe suspect) you're pregnant then it wont make any difference if you were in ketosis or not?

But I'm no dr or cdc or whatever so ignore my ramblings lol, just I think it was awful of that Dr to tell someone the diet would have caused her to lose a baby when there could have been any number of reasons. I went to see my dr cos I found out I was pregnant and he said to wait to do anything more (I was only about a day late) because more pregnancies miscarry than go full term for no particular reason.

I think its a hard one to call, but as Nikki said, we lose babies for tonnes of reasons....I remember being told that lots of pregnancies end in mc's, but a lot of the time people dont actually know they are pregnant at the time...

Can kind of understand considering a VLCD to improve chances of conceiving....glad I dont need to make a decision on it!!!

If I got pregnant on CD I would stop immediately but not be unduly worried. However, I wouldn't try to get pregnant until I was ready to come of. I would feel so much happier going into pregnancy without a weight issue in the beginning. CD is so quick it would certainly be worth the short wait and also an extra reason to do it 100% and not mess around and take longer than necessary to lose the weight.

When I was my heaviest I was the weight I was at full time with my third child. I definitely wouldn't have considered pregnancy at that time I wouldn't have put my body through it.

I hope there is a happy outcome down the line somewhere!

Dizzy x

Many women who have been on VLCD's fall pregnant. During their time on a VLCD they receive all the vitamins, minerals, trace elements etc they need to keep themselves fit and well including folic acid.

As soon as someone becomes pregnant all dieting ceases and sensible healthy eating is introduced.

Thats why i love this forum!!! Where else can you get the honest answers!!!!

Thanks a million!

I am so pleased i started this thread

Oh one quick - if on a CD is there a need to take more folic acid? That question is bound to arise.

Thanks

Ivy

Is there any way CD can be done whilst pregnant?

Obviously not ssing, but perhaps 2 shakes and a small meal plus fruit when hungry?

Or is CD completely banned while pregnant?

Thanks

It's completely banned, hun, for weightloss purposes. Although, I believe that I've heard that you might be able to have say a bar a day, for nutritional purposes, with your doctor's permission.

xxxx

Back