Pretty underwhelming first week WI

GetFitGirl

Well, I have been an angel this week, virtue oozing out of every pore.

:) I have had my shakes, bars, soups and about 3 litres of water each day;

:) I sat right next to two huge home-made sponge cakes at work and didn't even drool on them;

:) I resisted the beautifully wrapped piece of cake given to me by my neighbours to celebrate their golden wedding

..... and I lost 8lbs. Humph.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone else, but all you lovely people seem to have lost so much more on your first week, especially when I think of how much I have to lose.

So there's a big grey cloud round me and I'm sitting inside in a little cocoon of self pity!

Mind you, could be something to do with going back to work yesterday after six weeks holiday :)

Sorry but 8lbs seems bldy brilliant to me! Plus you have now moved into the 200's category -you can start seeing yourself as a 200's person and not a 300's. If I were you I'd give yourself a big pat on the back and look forwward to your next milestone. The more you celebrate and get excited about milestones like dropping below 300 then the more motivated you will be. Trying to compare to people who might have eaten a ton of carbs before starting or loads of salty things and had loads of water retention won't move you forward. Just keep going in a forward direction one step at a time.

8lbs is a great start :bliss:

Thanks Cannyscot. I hadn't thought about the eating carbs link. I must admit, I wasn't a hugely carby person - just a pig!

And, yes, I think I should sit down and work out some goals. It is a big deal to go down from 300s to 200s. And to the next stone. And losing 10%, 20%, 30%. I can see I need to put more effort into this goal setting.

Perhaps it is the return to the hated job that has caused the black mood after all!

8lbs is bloody brilliant, Well done!

Firstly WELL DONE!!! 8lbs is the weight of an average newborn baby, remember that next time u hold a baby...THATS what u lost this week :D

Secondly....i think its hard not to compare your losses to those of other people but bear in mind that some ppl with bigger losses may have had a worse diet than u before starting this. Ie, more carbs, drinking less, etc etc. Youve done great, keep it up and be proud of yourself xxxx

Yeah me too haha!

My carb withdrawals are always really bad cos i had quite a bit of carbs in my diet before this. And i have never drank enough. Suppose i can thank those habits for me being in this position eh lolxx

thats a really good loss, you should be proud of yourself! i know its disheartening to compare to other people and feel you've not done as well (i do it a lot too) but you know in your heart you've been 100% so keep your head held high, those are legitimate lbs off and next time you're in asda go pick up 4 blocks of vegetable fat and imagine you've melted that away...in ONE week!! x

That's great do not lose heart. I lost even less but I'm happy cos it is going in the right direction. We're all different but I know I'd be singing from the roof tops if I lost 8lbs in the month nevermind in the week. Keep up the great work. You can do it.

Well done! 8lbs is a great loss :D

To give you some favourible comparison check my sig out. My first weigh in on a VLCD I lost 7lb, I'm 5 10 and weighed over 330lbs. Like others have said week 1 big gains are mostly glycogen stores (from the carbs) and water loss. So people with big early losses just ate more carbs in their pre vlcd diet than the smaller ones :)

It's impossible to lose more fat than the maths allows, unless people are doing as much excercise as them poor ******* on the biggest loser program who "burn" up to 8000 calories a day :p

You can only lose calories burned - calories taken in and compare that to 3500 calories per lb and most of the calories burned comes from your BMR (Base metabolic rate) which depends on height, weight, sex and muscle mass. BMR is the rate at which your body burns calories keeping itself going (breathing, heart beating, other organs work etc). As an example my BMR is estimated at about 2500 calories a day.

I hope I havn't confused you and that actually helps hehe sorry if I rambled on :p

I was one of those who lost big the first week, but water retention, picking & totm mean I will be lucky to lose a couple of lb this week.. I am one of this people that have a biggish glycogen supply and propensity
To carry lots of water, but i know that after the first week I will be burning fat & as long as I lose about 3.5 lb a week, I'll lose a stone a month. I'll worry about refilling my glycogen stores when I get to goal!
In short, 8lb is no mean feet & as long as you keep to the meal packs, you'll be losing it week by week and see yourself shrink in no time ;-)

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't reply last night. Got the right hump and went to bed! But the positive thing is I didn't take the biscuit tin with me ...... or even want to.

And sorry for the moan. I think spending two days with 26 barely house-trained 7-year olds made the mood just a lot worse. Roll on the end of the school year - only ten months to go!

Back