prices of food

If you can get to Lidl or Aldi there fruit and veg offers are brilliant. And there baked beans and canned tomatoes are just as good as supermarkets own brand and in some cases a lot better. I bought a couple of chickens from Lidl the other week and found when I roasted them, there was NO water come out at all, just good clean fat which made a lovely stock base for the others to have in there meals.

Does anyone else get fed up with how much water comes out of chickens and chicken breasts etc.

I find mine has dropped, I plan and buy what I need. I think on SW you have less take aways, less treats, less of the processed stuff. Most of this is bought on impulse and not during the weekly shop so it all adds up!
Plan the meals you will eat, shop accordingly.

It doesn't cost a lot to eat healthily, try tinned beans (different ones not just baked!), dried lentils and other pulses. These are not expensive and are super healthy.

Also when buying fruit, don't buy things like blueberries, peaches, nectarines etc. I've stopped doing this (unless they are on special offer) as they go off quickly and are expensive. Stick to bananas and apples etc especially now British apples are coming into season (yay!!).

Eating healthily doesn't have to cost the earth!

I read this thread with interest and picked up a few tips.
I have just done a weekly shop for hubby and me for £40 and that included some extras like fizzy pop and toilet rolls but did include 6 salmon fillets (special offer) a whole chicken, bag of frozen chicken breasts, potatoes, salad stuff, a melon, plums and clemetines and peppers so I think you can get affordable stuff if you look around.
I always buy the stuff from the bargain sections and freeze if necessary.
However we have a butchers right next door to us in work and I have only been in there to get there hot baguettes before work.
Never even crossed my mind to get my meat there but I am going to get some cash out and check the meat out on Tuesday and see whether I can get any good deals.

However we have a butchers right next door to us in work and I have only been in there to get there hot baguettes before work.

the thing I like about butchers, is because there are only the 2 of us here I can go in and buy only what I need, as I said before in supermarkets you have to buy more than what you need in prepacked stuff :rolleyes:

Anyone else tried Lakeland's "Stayfresh" bags for fruit, salad stuff & veg? I swear by them. You can keep stuff for ages in them, (up to 6 weeks) in the fridge. Great to take advantage of reduced prices or bogof deals...:)

Yes I use them and I agree they're great. I might need to invest in one of those pumps that you can use to suck the air out of the bag as well. At the moment I do it myself!

& me Circes! Atm I use one of DS drinking straws which does the job provided you have a good set of lungs!:D

Back