Private maternity

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
Hi guys, does anyone know anything about private maternity services in London/UK? Also what kind of health insurance is available for maternity cover and how much it covers etc? Just wondering. Thanks!

I had an Independent Midwife when I had my son. If you want to know anything about how that works, please ask away :)

If you want a private Obstetrician and private hospital birth, you'll have to pay full price for it as pregnancy/birth is excluded from medical insurance.

Is there something u want 2 tell us? lmao :8855:

Personally I wouldnt bother, unless money is no issue. I have had 4 babies with the NHS 3 of which were born between 12 and 6 weeks early, and the care that both they and myself had was fantastic x

Thanks for the info guys! I'll let you knoe if there's any "news", will find out on Thursday! Eeeee!!!!!

Oh babe fingers & everything crossed 4 u X

Ohhh good luck Honeyoc, our little girl is the best thing that's ever happened to us :D

I agree with Snuggle69 though, I went through the NHS and my daughter was born 7 weeks early and I really doubt that I or my daughter could have got better care privately, but maybe that's just me?

Let us know ;) I am excited for you!!

I agree with Snuggle69 though, I went through the NHS and my daughter was born 7 weeks early and I really doubt that I or my daughter could have got better care privately, but maybe that's just me?
The NHS offer a very high level of care for premature babies or where there are serious medical issues and if I were in that situation I would definitely be happy to be with the NHS. If you have private care and a complication arises, it's very easy to switch over to NHS - it doesn't mean you can't if you need to.

The NHS have some fantastic midwives working for them, however for an uncomplicated full-term pregnancy and delivery, I think independent midwives have many advantages.

I do agree about the whole NHS thing (and not just cos I work for them! :)) I had both my boys on the NHS, one elective C section and one emergency, and I couldn't praise the care we had anymore. Still, it's entirely up to the individual, and if someone had paid for me to have them at the Portland, I would have jumped at the chance! Ha ha!

Fingers crossed for Thursday! :D

Back