Problems finding a counsellor

After spending a few weeks reading up on Cambridge and weighing the pros and cons, I decided to take the plunge and contact a counsellor. The first one I chose did not visit client's homes and only offered appointments at her home. It's a wee bit away from where I live and I don't drive so I'd have to sort out some kind of public transport which would a)be costly b)be a bit of a convoluted hassle to get there and c)be nerve-racking since I don't know the area at all. So onto counsellor two. This one does appointments in a location which is a lot more accessible for me, but unfortunately only on Saturdays - a day I really can't do. She also does all her appointments with her husband, another certified CDC, but (and I apologise for being sexist!) I don't know if I would feel comfortable discussing certain things/being weighed & measured in front of a man.

Soooo....I have emailed the two remaining counsellors (and according to the Cambridge website, these two do not even cover my postcode - I found them by entering a postcode of a nearby street!) and asked if they did appointments on the days I am available. However, almost 24 hours have passed and no reply from either of them! I know I am being impatient but I'm getting really anxious that I won't be able to find a counsellor and not be able to do this diet. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable in my expectations - I am available three (and at a push four) evenings through the week, and it's not like I live in the back of beyond - indeed, I live in a very busy and well-known part of Glasgow and I can travel into the centre in less than 10 minutes!

I guess I'm just letting off some steam. Those two counsellors might get back to me, and maybe one or even both of them will be able to give me a suitable appointment. But if they don't.....I don't know what i'll do. I have considered LighterLife but as a student, I really can't afford £66 a week. Even if I managed it somehow, I expect I'd have to wait until October to start, and I don't want to wait that long, not while I'm all motivated and fired-up NOW.

Fingers-crossed that this works out :sigh:

It's really worth phoning the Cambridge hotline on 0800 161412 as not all CDCs are listed on the website.

Hope you find one that gets back to you soon. Otherwise, move to Bournemouth and come to me :D

Thanks KD! Well, I expect the weather in Bournemouth might be a little bit better than in Glasgow...:gen125:

I have just filled out the Counsellor Referral form on the website, which I think is the equivalent to ringing that number :)

Here's hoping!

I have the same problem, i used to see a lady who was local however her prices were a bit steep (£60 per week) so i decided to try the other 2 ladies that cover my area and have no response (ive even tried calling)....what do I do? I really want to do this diet, but i just cant find any one to help. It would be so great if i could purchase directly from Cambridge...

I agree: I wish the option was there to buy straight from Cambridge too. I understand you're supposed to have a counsellor for advice / expertise / support but maybe they could develop some sort of alternative email/online counsellor system for those of us who have awkward schedules, don't drive or live out of the way.

I agree its awkward for some people :( but the system would be open to abuse from people with healthy bmi's or below wanting to lose alot of weight :( we all know this goes on if it were available online :(

It is holiday time so maybe the counsellor's you contacted are not around at the moment. It would be well worth phoning the helpline as suggested before - at least speaking to someone will give you instant information rather than relying on emails etc. Good luck and here's hoping you get started soon - don't be disheartened and let it put you off, the best things come to those who wait!:)

Hiya, try ringing the number KD suggests as some CDCs are not on the website.

Good luck with finding somebody suitable :)

So onto counsellor two. This one does appointments in a location which is a lot more accessible for me, but unfortunately only on Saturdays - a day I really can't do. She also does all her appointments with her husband, another certified CDC, but (and I apologise for being sexist!) I don't know if I would feel comfortable discussing certain things/being weighed & measured in front of a man.

Hi, just emailing to recommend J to you, she is a great counsellor and if you explain your concerns you will not need to worry about weighing in with anyone else there. Please speak to her about it - she is a great counsellor (she learned from the best lol) xx

Thanks for your advice everyone (and thanks for emailing me, Miss Piggy!) :)

Think i'll be able to work something out -- I might have to travel a wee bit, but on reflection, I really want to do this diet so it might just be worth going out of my way a bit.

Re: Mrsessex - I guess you're right about an online system being subject to abuse. At least if you have to meet up with someone to get your foodpacks and to be weighed then counsellors can ensure that only those who need to lose a lot of weight are on the diet.

Diet Girl: I really hope you find a way to do Cambridge :(

Back