Protein meals with no oven?

Caz

Repeat Offender
Our oven has just broken! :banghead: That means no more of my usual chicken and veg or swede chips ubtul they've ordered in the part and come to fit it. Probably be a week or two! Any ideas for other protein meals? Not keen on salad really! Only other thing I can think of that doesn't involve an oven is stir fry.

I never use the oven except for cooking a whole chicken. Always use the hob and microwave?

What about getting pre-cooked chicken chunks? Then you could microwave some veg or cook it on the hob or have some salad with it.

You can butterfly the breast and season (and fry like a steak - if the slab is quite thin to make sure it's cooked through) .. for the chips - you can either steam them in microwave or boil them and then fry lightly on one/two sprays of Fry-light on the pan as well to get the golden crust ... Boil the veg... No oven necessary ;)
In the most extreme scenario you can boil chicken too - make it into a soup (with some Boullion) and veg.
Casserole on hob or slow-cooker?

Spicy prawn salad? Tuna lettuce wraps with diced veg? Boiled peppers stuffed with quorn and cauliflower rice (+seasoning/or with a bolognese foodpack mixed in) ?

I really don't like salad! I like lettuce, well I tolerate lettuce, hate green pepper, cucumber, celery etc. so it's a boring salad on S&S lol

Amethyst - what do you cook using the hob and microwave?

Cherry I think that's what I might have to do, just have cooked chicken and boiled/steamed veg rather than roasted. I can have a stir fry or two, I just get a bit bored of them!

Minerva have you done chips in a pan? Wouldn't have thought it would work so well! Might give it a try though. Forgot about my slow cooker, could make a casserole with that too.

I know it's completely possible to do meals without the oven but I tend to use it for most meals so my mind drew a complete blank on what to do without it! Thank goodness for minimins :)

Caz - yes I've done thin potato slices fried in the pan for OH before, it works fine. The only thing you have to look out for is how much you've boiled the swede (though it's firmer than a potato and probably holds its shape for longer) and to make sure it doesn't stick to the pan. Or if it all fails - have swede crispy bits - equally as tasty with some seasoning.

Omg I'm going to have that when I have protein meals again =) Swede crispy bits... mmm. Then again I've never liked chips to begin with!

I cook fish on the hob in a grill pan with no oil - I'm particularly keen on seabass and salmon - but have lots of other fish that way too. I also have a small fillet steak cooked in the grill pan. I either have salad or steam veggies - such as brocolli, leek, carrots, asparagus etc.

I also like poached eggs and asparagus.

I boil all my veg on the hob. You can also grill on the hob if your clever enough lol, use a frying pan and fry your bits and bobs as if you were grilling if you get me? You can also use the microwave to cook your veg and stuff. ;)

I never use the oven either, except for swede chips. I dry fry fish, chicken breast, steak, omelet etc and then eat it with steamed, microwaved or boiled veg. I make soup, stew (chicken, bouillion, swede, mushrooms and cabbage usually) stir fry veg in chilli flakes and soy sauce. Hope this helps.

Back