Protein shakes

Siqua

I have been sort of doing a protein shake diet since November. Long story short, I'm back at my start weight again.

I am ready to get back to it. My main foe is nighttime snacking. I can make it all day up till 7pm all within an awesome amount of calories, even leaving me 300-400 for a snack, but I end up eating a whole nother meal most nights. Ugh.

My DH is also snacking at this time and it drives me nuts because he is not interested in being on a diet or snacking healthy at all right now.

Anyone else doing protein shakes or meal replacements? Have any suggestions on some ways to deal with the nighttime hunger? Any ideas for good snacks for nighttime?

Hi Siqua

I have the exact same problem! I am only on day 3 of S&S but after reading posts on here about similar problems I decided to not start my packs until later in the day. The first day I had my first meal at 5pm and struggled a bit in the evening but didn't cave in :)

Yesterday I had a pack (4 in total) every two hours up until I went to bed which went well, didn't feel the munchie madness so much, still had a few thoughts about food, but felt fairly full and knew it was just my head, glugged some water and got through it. Doing the same thing today, started packs at 3pm and will have something every 2 hours until I goto bed at 11pm.

Alot of this is the mental side of it, willpower and finding a way to retrain your brain somehow!!

Don't know how you feel about not eating during the day?

Others use exercise when they get hungry, find something to distract themselves with until it passes, others drink more water, everyone copes with it differently, it's just finding a way that works for you!

Luckily I don't don't feel too hungry during the day anyway so this is ideal for me and so far is working!

Hope you find a way to manage!

Good luck

Lisa x

Last edited:
Starting later is a great approach....I had brekkie at 8.30 and lunch at 12.30 so feeling soooooo hungry now....it might be a 4 pack day for me.

You can split your food packs when they are powder so have half for breakfast and full one for lunch and full one for tea then you will still have half a pack for later on you could do that with all your packs :)

X

Such great ideas. I had not thought of starting later, though I think I might get too hungry with nothing at all, but I sure could split it up. I am so much better at restricting calories in the daytime.

Maybe if I just give myself more calories to play with at night, it won't matter so much if I have a whole sandwich at 9pm. LOL.

Hi sisqua.

The diets covered here are all official, nutritionally complete, ketogenic VLCDs. The reason they work is that once you get into ketosis, you don't feel properly hungry anymore. There's two things that concern me about what you're saying: firstly, protein shakes are not meant to be the exclusive basis of your diet and you might make yourself ill, and secondly, if you do choose to eat a small meal of conventional food, it needs to be carb free (as far as possible), not a sandwich, or you'll forever be feeling hungry.

Spangles is right about protein shakes, they shouldn't be sole source and on a true vlcd you're not hungry, its habits that make you want to snack. If you dont have regular packs through the day you also risk gallstones, docs told me that when i had stones. Also your body is likely to go into starvation mode if you wait too long between packs. Far better to do 4 a day or split one and hsve half breakkie and half evening :)

I have my packs around midday, 5pm and 9pm.

I have my first at 7-8am then 12 and 4pm and a bar at 7 :)

Back