psyllium husk: urgent

llydaw

sorry for the urgent request. Desperate to try and make porridge from the husk for my breakfast but not sure if I've bought the right stuff. It's pure psyllium husk but the nutrients for a 250g bag say:
energy: 235kcal
protein 2.0g
carbs 4.0g
of which sugars 1.0
fat nil
fibre 88.0g

I'm worried about the carbs. Is it supposed to have carbs?

sorry I haven't got a clue on things like this.

Hi LLydaw as long as it is pure PH that's the right stuff. Unless you are planning on having the whole bag at once I'd say you're ok. Mine says to take a level tablespoon a day and that is less than 6g so your bag will last a while.

Thanks for coming to my rescue. I took a chance in the end and put 2 level tablespoons in as I saw fibre 89 had a carb content.

The packet just says psylium husk and I've looked on it and it doesn't say anywhere that anything has been added to it. It looks like really fine ready break. Does yours look like this?

It's just nice to be able to try something a little different to the shakes and soups. I have to say I was really full after eating though. Not a bad thing:)

mine looks like ready brek make my vanilla shake very filling for breckie nice .I use 200ml hot/warm water 2 teaspoons husks and vanilla shake whisk for 1 min make sure you have water before during after they work better then xxx

Yes, that's what they look like. I didn't like the porridge - mine was really sweet but I add the husks to muffins and crisps when I have them.

phew. I am now relieved. Bought and ate the right stuff. I didn't have hot water before and after though, but did have 1 litre of water before and drank my 2nd litre after though, so should be fine.

Thank you both for your help, I love all the ideas and get so carried away being eager to try them. It's great being able to log onto here to ask someone as the shops usually haven't got a clue. You've both been soooo helpful. Cheers:)

Hi Tracy, they are psyllium husks. Some people use them instead of the fibre stuff from their CDC. You can get them online or in healthfood shops.

i have the tablets - but I started to get hunger pains!! Or, what I think were hunger pains... but had one CD bar - Cranberry.. and it worked much better!!!

I love my psyllium porridge and have it every day with some cinnamon... mmmmm yum! And I find it really filling!!:) I have been using a good two teaspoons of the pure stuff and had bars and I have been testing positive for ketosis all week.:)

I've ordered some, hope they come soon!

I hate to rain on your parade but pure husks have NO carbs or cals or ANYTHING except fibre.
The ones you bought MUST have something added ... probiotics or prebiotics or something.

This is where I get mine

Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

Can I ask where you bought your husks from? Is there anything else written in the contents box other than psyllium husks?

Back