Psyllium husks as breakfast?!

Discussion in 'WeMITTS (We Mean It This Time)' started by DQ, 15 September 2006 Social URL.

1. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Can someone help me - I could have sworn I read somewhere of someone having the psyllium husks like porridge in the morning, but I (a) can't find the post so (b) can't see if it would work for me!! :eek:

Any help much appreciated :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Found it!!!

Chicken, do you add sweetener at all? :confused:

4. westhills

westhills I STILL mean it!

Start Weight:
    21st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    8st13lb(41.25%)
    Be careful - I have never had any success with psyllium husk (and I've tried allsorts!) and HOT water, make sure it's not boiling anyway. If you take about a mugful of cold water and add a teasp. of shake mix and about 3 tsp PH, blend, and leave it for about 10 mins, that can work. Warm in microwave afterwards if you like. Ann

5. Libbie

Libbie Silver Member

Diet:
    CD
    my best bud just mixes 2 teaspoon husks with water plus a spoon shake and has it cold or ppops it in mike for min

6. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Thanks peeps - you are fab!! Just wondered about the sweetener thing?

7. lardass

lardass Silver Member

Diet:
    seefood
    I tried and texture reminded me of wallpaper paste

8. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Don't forget though that psyllium husks do contain calories and carbs. Don't know how many get digested though, but just be warned. If it takes you out of ketosis, stop thaking it.

9. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    I think it's the whole seed thingies that contain the cals and carbs karion .... I've checked my PH tub and the husks themselves contain zero carbs and cals so can be taken with confidence. As they're the indigestible outer husk, the body doesn't actually absorb ANY of them. :)

10. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Will have to give it a go. How small can you crush a tablet sweetener?! :rolleyes:

11. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

I can see some experimentation coming on! ;)

12. chicken on a mission

chicken on a mission Restarting to lose 4stone

Diet:
    LighterLife then CD
    Sorry, only just spotted this :rolleyes:

I start by drinking a big glass of water and whilst doing this I combine the PH's in with my chosen shake in a bowl and then divide the mixture in half so I get another portion later :D

Then I add a little boiling water from the kettle to the bowl and mix with a fork. I keep adding water until I get the consistency I want and then leave it for a minute just to make sure that the PH's don't absorb any more of the water and add more water after this if required.

I don't add any sweeteners to any of my packs because I am taking the oportunity to try and retrain my tastebuds :)

I hope this helps.

BTW, some people might want to use less than 2 tsp but I find this right for me. You must drink extra water if you take PH's.

Tahnks a million to russiandoll for putting me onto this.

13. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Thanks Chicken! :D

14. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

They've arrived today, so will be having some 'cereal' later on - will let you know how it goes!! :p

15. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Hmmm, yes experiment one did have this consistency - will try again tomorrow!! :p

16. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    Oh dear! lol

Unfortunately, it's never going to be 'Scotts Porage Oats' but if you play around with it, you'll get something 'acceptable'. It's amazing what we can find 'acceptable' on a VLCD! ;)

17. chicken on a mission

chicken on a mission Restarting to lose 4stone

Diet:
    LighterLife then CD

Oh yes! :D

See how you go, we all have different tastes so experimenting with how you make it and the consistencey will be beneficial :)

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

Register an account for free to disable ads in threads!
  19. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Lol, am hoping so!! :p

20. dizzy-n-mizzy

dizzy-n-mizzy Not dieting ATM!

Diet:
    Together we lost 8 stone on CD.
    Here is the thread!!!!!

21. Slim at heart

Slim at heart Skinny girls r 4 wimps!!

Start Weight:
    21st9lb
    Current Weight:
    19st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(10.89%)
    Diet:
    Slimpod, Low GL, Healthy eating
    I find that if I use ANY type of blender even for a very short time I just get gloop & I can't eat it!!!
    Have tried with lots of different packets but haven't managed to get anything that I could actually eat yet...
    I tried with chocolate yesterday morning & the texture disgusted me so I had to throw it away...
    Chicken soup last night & it was a bowl of glue...
    My favourite way of taking it is to make a large bowl of hot Marigold Boullion (less than 1 tspn) & 'sprinkle' on 2 or 3 tspns of PHs & mix in gently ontherwise they get the texture of frog spawn imo!!!
    It tastes really nice like that almost like Scotch broth (as Russian Doll said!)
    Must try the porridge tomorrow though as it would be nice to actually 'eat' something in the mornings....hope it doesn't turn into gloop, these packets are far too expensive to be throwing away!!!

22. Heaven can wait

Heaven can wait Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Lighter Life Total
    Hi I know this is an old thread but I want to get my head around this sysillium husks thing. I have bought some but when it came it was a fine powder not a husk in sight! Does anyone know if this is the right stuff? An can I use as you have all suggested in this thread?
    Cheers C

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.