Psyllium Porridge

I got some stuff from Holland and Barrett with the delightful name of "Colon Care" sounds yum, right?:D Well I've tried this porridge business using this stuff several times and have now given up - I end up with a gloopy slime which makes me boke ..... :(
Is it because this is the wrong stuff or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

I got some stuff from Holland and Barrett with the delightful name of "Colon Care" sounds yum, right?:D Well I've tried this porridge business using this stuff several times and have now given up - I end up with a gloopy slime which makes me boke ..... :(
Is it because this is the wrong stuff or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

That's exactly the one I used.
I made the shake up in the blender with hot water first then manually stirred in 2 tsps of powder then whirled it up again in the blender.
It did have a sort of gloopiness to is but it reminded me of Oatso Simple.....how have you been making it?

PS I just love the name Colon Care lololol :D

Have just ordered myself some husks. So do you just use it once a day, or do you add husks to all your shakes?? Am on day 4, no constipation probs yet, but I do like to keep regular :)

Have just ordered myself some husks. So do you just use it once a day, or do you add husks to all your shakes?? Am on day 4, no constipation probs yet, but I do like to keep regular :)

I am VERY full up afterward so i don't think I'll use it everyday, just a couple of days a week I think. This is the first time I've tried it so I'll need to wait and see ;)

Hi Miss Piggy
I just threw a couple of tsps in with the powder then added water then whizzed with braun hand blender ....?

You can only have 10g a day which is about 4 tsp in my house ,you should also take a break from them every 10 weeks.I have 2 tsp a day and find this ample .Got this info from the net please check out the max dose a day for the product you have bought .enjoy your very enjoyable porridge,some peeps put them in the soups too never done it tho hate the soup xx

Hi Miss Piggy
I just threw a couple of tsps in with the powder then added water then whizzed with braun hand blender ....?

From what I have read (and what I tried) was to make the shake up separately and then hand blend the husks in, this prevents that slimey end. Look a bit further back in this thread and there are some good instructions there.

you don't have to stress too much about the dose when on a VLCD ... the recommended dose is assuming you're eating food and so getting additional fibre. I have PH whenever I want (usually ends up around the recommended 4tsp) and have it every day with no adverse effects.

It 'looks' like the right stuff but to be honest, I'd stick with a reputable health food supplier like Healthspan

Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

As for cost, the ebay one is £1.88 + £1.10 postage = £2.98 per 100g

The Healthspan one is £6.95 and I think it's £1 postage = £7.95 per 300g = £2.65 per 100g so it's actually cheaper.

I use 2 tsp in 300ml of hot water, but I mix the husks in with the powder before mixing. OK its a bit slimy, definately not Quaker, but you can EAT it! I add 1 tsp to cold shakes to make them thicker too, cos sometimes I just don't want to grind down ice, or it's too cold. The best flavours for me are the toffee and walnut and vanilla, but I do have to add 2 sweeteners.

I have a teaspoon in cold shakes too BB. I like the thicker texture and psychologically, I can imagine them 'swelling' inside so I feel instantly satisfied.

Just a tip - if you add the PH powder AFTER you've made your hot shake and put it in a bowl (stirring them in briskly with a fork or balloon whisk) then you're much less likely to get gloop.

I've had gloop once or twice (that's how I've found out what works and what doesn't). I've eaten it regardless though - I'm tight and can't stand the thought of chucking over a quid away! lol

Thanks RD and Miss Piggy - I'll try it that way later - fingers crossed!

Back