Puffed Rice

Woops, I thought whole grain wheat berries were free. Bulgar wheat and cous cous are and they contain nothing but wheat. Note to self, don't assume, check the book :) Good night.

I didn't ask if it could be a HEB I asked why it wasn't free like rice is?!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Because breakfast cereals are on the list of foods that don't qualify for a free food allowance even though they have free foods in the main ingredients. Without the allowance it is a straight 1 syn for every 20 calories.

Here is the list of foods that don't qualify, presumably because if they were free it would be too easy to overconsume them and take in a lot of calories to the point where it might affect losses.

Alcoholic drinks
Biscuits, including cereal bars and savoury crackers
Bread & crispbreads
Breakfast cereals
Cakes & bakery items, e.g. carrot cake
Crisps & snacks
Dressings & dips, e.g. salsa, salad dressing
Fruit - canned, dried and stewed
Pastry products (sweet & savoury), e.g. salmon en croute, apple pie
Pizza
Puddings & desserts
Sandwich/deli fillers
Sandwiches and wraps
Sauces, e.g. jars of tomato-based pasta sauce
Soft drinks, including yogurt drinks fruit/vegetable juice and fruit smoothies
Soups, all varieties
Sweets & chocolates

Think of the cereal portion you would have had before SW - probably a big bowlful and that adds up to a lot of calories.

Except all items on that list are items containing other ingredients where as the puffed rice is just that, and is essentially the same as regular rice

I understand that but the propensity to overconsume is still the same. 28g of breakfast cereal is a very small amount, a lot less than most people would put in their bowls.

And them's the rules. You can either choose to follow them or not. If you are looking for a definitive answer then drop SW HQ an email and see what they have to say.

So your argument is, it can't be free as you're going too have too much !!!

Kallo do a Natural puffed rice cereal that contains just wholegrain brown rice, and this is listed on syns online at 5.5 per 28g, is this similar?

ginlin said:
Kallo do a Natural puffed rice cereal that contains just wholegrain brown rice, and this is listed on syns online at 5.5 per 28g, is this similar?

It's the same. I only question the whole thing as it's the same syn value as all the sugary cereals and that seems wrong in so many ways!!!

I will do as suggested and ask my consultant to get an answer for me x

am watching this thread with interest.... as i know of a savoury recipe which would make a lovely indian style 'snack'

am watching this thread with interest.... as i know of a savoury recipe which would make a lovely indian style 'snack'

Could you share the recipe please? If you did it with puffed rice I would count it as low syn and work it out like rice cakes weight for weight

The sugary ones will each weigh a little more so you get less of them for the 28g, so then volume wise it will be less but the syn value the same.

Thanks Shrimpy, that's the best explanation by far. I could believe that.

No probs. :) Its the one that makes most sense, which is why regular bitesize shredded wheat looks more for 28g than frosted shredded wheat. :)

So your argument is, it can't be free as you're going too have too much !!!

I'm saying it's a possibilty. There are several foods that SW say we have to syn because it is easy to overeat and take in a lot of calories eg cous cous, polenta, pasta and sauces, tofu, lasagne sheets, and chickpeas which are all free foods under normal circumstances but need to be synned when used in a particular way. Also rice when it is ground to flour now I come to think about it.

Rice is only free on a GREEN day or EXTRA EASY day, puffed rice much different to just rice. Sugar Puffs (cereal) are 5.5 syns for 28g and whatever the syn calculator says for puffed rice, then im afraid thats what it is. xx

SaintKimi said:
Rice is only free on a GREEN day or EXTRA EASY day, puffed rice much different to just rice. Sugar Puffs (cereal) are 5.5 syns for 28g and whatever the syn calculator says for puffed rice, then im afraid thats what it is. xx

Sugar puffs are not rice and have sugar - tons of it.

Puffed rice has only rice with no added sugar (or anything) hence my original query.

Circes said:
I'm saying it's a possibilty. There are several foods that SW say we have to syn because it is easy to overeat and take in a lot of calories eg cous cous, polenta, pasta and sauces, tofu, lasagne sheets, and chickpeas which are all free foods under normal circumstances but need to be synned when used in a particular way. Also rice when it is ground to flour now I come to think about it.

Do you know what. Rice flour is the first explanation that makes sense to me!

It's a way of having flour which is synned and so it too must be synned! I think I'll leave it there.

Thanks x

that has sugar and fat in it hence the 5.5 syns per 28g as most cereals

The sugar is 0.7g for 100g, very little! The sugar in the portion indicated is from a bowl with semi-skimmed milk...

I know this is an old thread but as I'm doing gluten free I looked for an alternative cereal. I'm counting this as free: what difference if I eat boiled rice or puffed rice? This is brown rice, it is free on EE and Green, there is nothing added! Sure, not as a HexB as it's less fibre, but there is no way this should be a synned item. If the calculator said 5.5 syns it's because it counted only the calories and didn't take into consideration the free food and lack of sugar added.

Back