Question about bmi & getting pregnant

AnnieAnnie

Gold Member
Hello ladies, sorry if this has been asked before. OH & I are going to start ttc end if June when hopefully I'll be a bmi 30 or below. Do you think it'll be a problem if I get pregnant at this high a bmi? Appreciate it's unlikely to happen so quick & obviously I'll carry on dieting until I am. Just wondered if anyone had got pregnant at this sort of bmi or higher & if it'd been a problem with drs.

Thanks in advance.

AA x

Lots of people get pregnant with a much higher bmi, mine was 29.8 when I got pregnant and it's never been mentioned at all, iv kept an eye on my weight myself and I've only put 5lbs on and I'm 30 weeks, good luck x

My bmi was 38 when I conceived, and about the same the first time I conceived. It took about 3 months both times, the first time I'd been on pill injection for 8 years straight without a single period. The second I'd been on pill injection 14 months without a period. My first baby perfectly healthy, no high blood pressure or gestational diabetes or any concerns. My little boy was born 7lb.15oz and during pregnancy I'd gained over 3 and a half stone. This pregnancy going great hate managed to only gain 1st 3lb's at 25 weeks. Hope the info helps x

Ps because of my high bmi I'm under consultant so I get at least 3 extra scans and extra appointments so don't worry x

Wow, 5lbs is fab Mrs S, you must be really pleased!

Thanks Oasis, just paranoid that it'll be frowned upon & make me feel terrible! Good to know that they seem supportive.

Thanks for the advice x

They just give you extra care if there are risks because of your weight I was told I had to have consultant care because my bmi was over 30 and I'd had a c section previously but when my consultant went through the risks she never mentioned my weight at all it was all focused on on c section scar, and they don't weigh you or anything during pregnancy other than at your booking appointment around 8-10 weeks x

Ok good to know. Ideally I'd like to be a healthy bmi but time is not on my side! Doing Cambridge at the moment to get the weight off fast but will move to low carb when I find out I'm pg (if I still need to lose).

I wouldn't cut any food groups out when you are pregnant hun, most of us on here seem to either do slimming world, calorie counting or weightwatchers and you can eat balanced food groups on all of those,

I hope you lose your weight quick I can't imagine being on cd it seems like it would be a nightmare for me I just love eating too much hehe! x

Didn't realise you could follow 'proper' plans iykwim when pregnant. That's good to know! Cambridge is simultaneously the easiest & most difficult diet ever. Difficult because it destroys your social life & at the start you feel so deprived. But easy as it's so fast (stone per month) and liberating not having to think about food. After a while it's just normal! Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. I'm such a worrier!

You can't officially do weightwatchers but a few people I've tweaked it to fit with guidelines, slimming world you can and obviously calorie counting is fine as long as you make sure you eat enough x

Oh that's really interesting. Need some sort of guidelines I think. Definitely want to be strong enough to just eat sensibly & not pile it on :)

I have had weeks off or days off and had treats but on the whole I've kept in my mind how hard it was to lose weight after having my first LO and ive been healthy most of the time, it's fine to have a treat i mean you should enjoy being pregnant like I have full fat Mayo all the time now cus I feel like its only time I can justify it haha, I've tried to stick to between 2000 and 2300 cals a day and it's works for me and I've had odd times where I've ate more, the weightwatchers pp I did was 48 a day plus 49 weekly which with your free fruit and veg works out about 2200 a day which is what I do when I calorie count so the same really, there is another lady on here that does weightwatchers but she's changed her plan differently to what I did, think she does a maintenance plan x

My bmi was 30 when I had my booking appt at 10 weeks, they said Id need to be careful for geatational diabetes and think I had to have a blood test for something or other - but all was fine. They also asked of I'd like to be referred to a dietician so I said yes why not, then when my LO was a few months old I finally got my appt through and got free tokens for WW :) I didn't struggle to conceive - it wasn't planned though so we weren't actively trying

Oh that's cool, I didn't know that they did tokens, that's useful. Out of interest, who does the booking appointment? Hopefully if we start trying at bmi 30, even if I catch straight away, I'll be less than that after 10 weeks. Unless I'm being hugely optimistic!

My bmi was 38 when I got pregnant I'm now 15+5 weeks and I've lost 6lbs so far.

Losing weight in the first 12 weeks is very very hard because if you have terrible morning sickness like I did then you just eat anything you can keep down! The best time to lose is the second tri as sickness calms down and you have more energy and everything.

A midwife performs booking appointments.

Despite my size the midwife has registered me as low risk because I'm on slimming world which is healthy eating and I'm a very active person, I may have more appointments towards the end but for now I'm being treated like any other pregnancy.

X x x

Oh that's cool, I didn't know that they did tokens, that's useful. Out of interest, who does the booking appointment? Hopefully if we start trying at bmi 30, even if I catch straight away, I'll be less than that after 10 weeks. Unless I'm being hugely optimistic!

If your bmi is over 30 you can get doc referral to WW with 12 weeks free vouchers, if you achieve your 5% loss you get another 12 vouchers. It's a really good idea. I'd quite like to pay for monthly pass to get esource on my iPhone tho lol. I had my booking appt at the hospital with a midwife. Fingers crossed you do catch quickly :)

Back