Question about bread on Conso

AnnTeak

It says you can have 2 slices of bread in conso but my question is does it have to be bread? TBH I have been low carbing for quite a while and if I am allowed to reintroduce some form of carbs bread wouldn't always be my first choice. For instance could I choose porridge oats instead?

I was kind of thinking this about the cheese because I'm not a very big fan of cheese. I'd rather have 40g of chocolate haha

I'm not a great fan of bread as it gives me bloat, so if I have it, it's usually soda bread which is yeast free and sort of rustic. But when I was conso particularly at first I had crispbread - Finn crisp or similar- instead of bread cos I was so worried about bloat or putting on weight. Even now I don't often have sandwiches for lunch cos of the bread thing, it's just i know now to avoid it if I want to feel ok

Cheese I like, so I do have it but I don't have that much as I find the taste is enough. The point about the weighed cheese is that it is a set potion of fat, but also protein, so important to include.
I like chocolate too...!

There's one cheese I really do like and that's halloumi which has quite a bit of protein in it. The problem is I only like one particular brand of it that I found in Istanbul and cannot find anything similar over here :( I basically lived off that and bread when I was there it was sooo fattening but sooo lush xD Looks like i'll just have to stick to a bit of melted cheese on toast when I finally manage to get to conso!

Don't get me wrong a slice of bread with some soup for lunch or with my boiled eggs in the morning would be great or even ryvita/crisp bread but not everyday somedays I would much prefer porridge for breakfast and no bread during the day

surely this is a personal thing, i know it says we are allowed to include these items, but if someone doesnt eat it, or in fact never did, it can't be forced. I must admit the idea of bread does make me feel a bit nervous, but I loved crispbreads esp with light philly on them and afew chopped olives LOL. So yum!!!

I don't eat bread, or fruit. I stay low carb all the time, I believe it to be healthier. Carbs also make me feel dreadful. I do like cheese and alcohol though!

So I guess it is just taking what we can introduce and swapping it like for like for what we do want/like and seeing what happens to the scales

The idea in Conso is to introduce gradually the food groups we've removed in phases 1 and 2, thus consolidating and stabilising one's loss, thereby hopefully avoiding wildly fluctuating when one does eat more carby and/or fatty foods...

In France, we were advised to eat two tiny slices totaling 40g-50g of wholewheat bread bought at the baker's - you don't get a lot. I personally can't abide cheese (unless in a sauce or gratinée on top of something) so I was skipping the cheese portion until an adviser suggested I have a scraping of butter on my bread to have a small amount of daily fat in my Conso day.

but no one's forcing you of course!

But is one's weight consolidated or indeed stabilised if we continue low carb in Conso / Stab? Surely only if one never goes back to eating them regularly?

A good subject for discussion really because most of us returners always put the blame on our food behaviour around sugar, fat and carbs, so if we stayed away for life? (Wouldn't that be dieting for life? Perhaps what we are condemned to!)

The idea in Conso is to introduce gradually the food groups we've removed in phases 1 and 2, thus consolidating and stabilising one's loss, thereby hopefully avoiding wildly fluctuating when one does eat more carby and/or fatty foods...

In France, we were advised to eat two tiny slices totaling 40g-50g of wholewheat bread bought at the baker's - you don't get a lot. I personally can't abide cheese (unless in a sauce or gratinée on top of something) so I was skipping the cheese portion until an adviser suggested I have a scraping of butter on my bread to have a small amount of daily fat in my Conso day.

But is one's weight consolidated or indeed stabilised if we continue low carb in Conso / Stab? Surely only if one never goes back to eating them regularly?

A good subject for discussion really because most of us returners always put the blame on our food behaviour around sugar, fat and carbs, so if we stayed away for life? (Wouldn't that be dieting for life? Perhaps what we are condemned to!)

Thought provoking post Jo but I know, in whatever guise it takes, I will absolutely be dieting for life. Best just get on with it, I suppose! ;)

P z

Maintainer said:

I think even with the intro of bread/cheese we're still low carb. I've always had the 2 small slices around 55-60g total during conso and feel its an important aspect to reintroduce as I want it back in! If you didn't want it in the first place I guess you could substitute it!

As maintainer said, if we don't reintroduce surely we're forever in cruise?

And I was terrified originally btw!

Dieting for life? Well, every slim/skinny person I know over the age of thirty admits to some degree of food restriction, whether its carbs, fats or meals themselves (a friend who is 55 and a size six says she is permanently hungry and has been her entire adult life). Some eat very small meals, some miss meals entirely.... I don't know anyone slim (except for my friends toddlers) who eats 'everything' they want. Tell a lie, I did. But she used to vomit it back up.

I'll stick with low carb, I dislike carbs anyway. And I'll stick specifically with Dukan, it works for me. Cheese and booze instead of bread and fruit...I can live with that! The recipe thread here is pure genius for inspiration, which really does make all the difference.

if we stayed away for life? (Wouldn't that be dieting for life? Perhaps what we are condemned to!)

Totally agree, and a very though provoking post. I know for one I will always be on some form of diet but then if its permanent is it not a diet more a way of eating?? I know for one if I don't want to be overweight I will always have to watch my carb intake.

Yup that's a given. Plus keeping an eye on the fats and sugars, not to mention the protein high-ish, and the sugars pretty dang low. So much for eating what you like- yeah, in your dreams!
It's not really going to happen so worth remembering what works and what doesn't Xxxx

Back