Question about syns

Gingernut

Hi
I have noticed that all the nice trat foods have got higher syns than ww for instance a 2 finger kit kat has got 1.5 points on sw it has got 5.5 syns this seems alot
Same as other things ive noticed are really high this is where i will find it hard as all the thigs i like are high syns i like the odd steak kidney pie this is really high nearly your days syns so this means you cant have this
Makes me wonder if im doing the right thing going to join a sw meeting

Thanks

It's certainly true that SW syns are greater than WW points, but I think the main difference is that you could eat a very varied diet for a whole week, 3 meals a day + snacks, on SW without using a single syn.

Syns are then free to be used for treats like chocolate, pastry, crisps, whatever takes your fancy really. On that basis I think you end up having more choice and more to eat each day, but SW does encourage you to cook from 'scratch' more than WW does (so less things ready-made like pies)...

Yes ww is very point dependent, everything has points and you have a maximum to eat each day if i remember rightly. SW allows you to eat far more foods in abundance but also allows less healthy options which can be eaten as part of your syns

I think if you swop from one diet to another then you have to wipe the first clear from your mind and stick with the principles of the one you have chosen. Both WW and SW have good track records and obviously both work if you stick to them, so I guess its just a case of deciding which one suits your lifestyle best and sticking to that. I know WW would be useless for me - if I got told I could only have x amount of points a day I'd eat them all before lunch lol. At least with SW there is so much free food you never have to go hungry and can always find something to stuff your face with.
Good luck with whatever you decide

Sw Syns are TOTALLY DIFFERENT to WW points!

Sorry to shout...but they are!

In WW, everything has a points value from zero to a squillion.

In SW, you have all your free foods, which you can eat...freely! You don't have to count them. It's the syns you count, and they appear higher but that's because you've had all that free food, which is the stuff that's good for you. Does that make sense? It's all relative.

If you're doing SW, get out of the WW way of thinking. It's different!

:D

Well put Hellie, tried to rep ya but I need to spread it about a bit first!!

Completely agree with you and all the others, SW is so different. On WW you can eat whatever you want but when the points are gone, they're gone. On SW you can eat loads and loads of free foods, unlimited and then STILL have your treats!! If kit kats were 1.5 syns,you could have 10 a day!

Don't forget, your points in WW are for everything you eat. SW allows you milk and cheese (A choices), cereal and bread (B choices) and free food and syns!

For me, there's no comparison but I know WW works for some so I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just so very different!

A WW point is equivalent to 70 calories but a SW syn is equivalent to 20 calories

I wouldn't like to know what a normal days worth of "free" foods add up to in points!!! all I know is that on ww I ate hardly any real food and used my syns for junk and on sw I eat loads and still have my treats! think things like pasta n sauce etc would be really high in ww points so its all relative....

.....in addition to all the fantastic comments above I would just like to add that eating steak and kidney pies SHOULD be very limited on ANY diet.
Me, my best friend and my sister are all currently losing weight by completely different methods, but although each of our diets has its own 'rules' they all basically restrict fatty unhealthy foods - if we are trying to lose weight, this is always how it should be

I know you say all the foods you like are high in syns, like all of us here probably! But I guess that eating all my old favourite foods was the thing that made me overweight- I guess I have now realised that if I want to be thin, these foods are poor choices

Good luck with whatever you choose, gingernut xxx

I cant get the quote button to work but I have to comment on one comment by paperclip

but SW does encourage you to cook from 'scratch' more than WW does (so less things ready-made like pies)...

You clearly havent done WW for a long time. On WW the emphasis is totally on healthy meals now and cooking. Although WW has a huge range of food they are actively discouraging members to eat convenience food. The new Discover plan is very much focussed on cooking from scratch and making sensible choices.

I cant get the quote button to work but I have to comment on one comment by paperclip

but SW does encourage you to cook from 'scratch' more than WW does (so less things ready-made like pies)...

You clearly havent done WW for a long time. On WW the emphasis is totally on healthy meals now and cooking. Although WW has a huge range of food they are actively discouraging members to eat convenience food. The new Discover plan is very much focussed on cooking from scratch and making sensible choices.

Sorry Starlight! I've never done WW, but there's more than 20 WW followers at my office (I'm the only SW one) and apart from some soups, I've yet to see much stuff cooked from scratch. I hear all of them admit that since you can buy ready prepared, pointed food, that's what they eat (and the group leader seems to support that). Oh well - same as SW, every group is different even if the diet is the same. Sorry if I offended you (or WW).

No problem Paperclip I just hate the way WW is often portrayed as a way to just eat junk all day. Their leaders are clearly not doing their job properly if theyre okaying convenience food. I know my leaders said theyre seen as a necessary evil at times but they totally pushed the cooking and less snacking approach which is exactly what the new programme and WW is now all about :)

Gingernut another ting to look at is what are your getting for your daily syns allowance and compare it to what you had for 'snack' points on WW I bet food wise its more or less the same.

I lost 4 stone on WW - it does work! It's a different approach, that's all. I liked it, it worked for me, and I have to say, health and fresh food was encouraged by my class leader. But they did like to 'promote' the WW products, of which there seem to be many. We were definitely encouraged to buy ww branded products, including the ready meals.
I don't get that vibe with SW. Maybe it's just my class, but the books, HiFi and whatnot aren't pushed at us as much.

I have, out of curiosity, pointed up an average day on SW for me and it was literally 16 points! I thought I'd be on 20+ easily.

No problem Paperclip I just hate the way WW is often portrayed as a way to just eat junk all day. .

^^ sorry just wanted to add my pennys worth in..

I havnt ever had the impression that ww encorouges junk food.. but i think as a sw member never doing ww i too also had the impression that ww ate for ready meals etc apposed to the extensive home cooking approach to sw.. as ww have thier own brand of food.. alot being frozen meals and desserts! if you get what i mean??

I totally agree with whats said before.. no matter what diet suits you best (its all trial and error) you really must let go of the last one in order to move on to the next and give it the best chance of working for you

a clear and open mind is what you need!.. and as said before if you like your pies.. then eat one! but it is a treat.. we'd all love to lose weight eating the stuff we love most.. but its not how it works LOL

shame i know :( LOL .. i wish i could live of cheesecake and dominoes and be skinny.. :p hehe xxxxxx

WW's works, of course it does, but I eat far more healthily on SW, plus I'm losing far faster, on much more food! And I'm not continually calculating points all day, or weighing. Bliss!

Back