Question - Does the weight stay off?????

Rosebud

I've been thinking of starting cambridge for a while but when my two aunts did it they both lost over 4 stone and then put the weight back on if not more.

Can anyone honsetly say that the weight stays off? I really don't want to waste my money. :(

I've been thinking of starting cambridge for a while but when my two aunts did it they both lost over 4 stone and then put the weight back on if not more.

Can anyone honsetly say that the weight stays off? I really don't want to waste my money. :(

Hi Rosebud, the weight will only stay off if we change our eating habits and leave behind the habits that made us overweight in the first place, I've been maintaining for 6 months now, having lost over 4 stone on a VLCD, I'm determinded to watch what I eat for the rest of my life to ensure I don't regain the weight. So it's down to you as to whether the weight stays off. Good luck x

to be honest you can say that about any diet..I did weight watchers and slimfast and put weight back on as went back to bad habits.

If you do cd properly, work through the stages then eat healthly and excercise then the weight should stay off, it's when you go back to bad eating the weight will come back on :eek:

As Vicki and Julie said, its more about you and if you choose to change your lifestyle than the diet. There are a number of folks who have maintained their weight for years but you'll need to make the decision to change your lifestyle and eating habits. I'm using my time on CD to not only detox the nasty chemicals that have built up in my fat cells but also to kind of purge myself mentally and emotionally. I'm trying to identify my trigger foods and think of healthy alternatives so one day when I'm off the diet, I can control my hunger and eating habits more effectively. Best of luck to you!

Sounds to me like you're already looking for a reason not to do the Cambridge Plan. Cambridge works - but you have to want it to work. And it works well, as scores of people here will tell you - the weight comes flying off, which is pretty damn motivating.

But it's up to you whether you want to keep the weight off. As others have already said, you can lose enormous amounts of weight on just about any diet - and pile it all back on.

If the question is actually, am I more likely to regain weight if I I do the Cambridge plan, I think that research has shown that statistically, you're slightly less likely to regain all the weight you lose. Can't remember who told me that or where I read it though, sorry. Speaking for myself, I lost around six stones on Cambridge more than 2 years ago and am currently two and half stones up on my lowest weight. So I for one definitely haven't piled it all back on and more.

Well ;) not yet, anyway. :D

Last edited:
Yep, as others have said, it's what you do after the diet, rather than the diet itself that determines whether you maintain your weight or not.

If the question is actually, am I more likely to regain weight if I I do the Cambridge plan, I think that research has shown that statistically, you're slightly less likely to regain all the weight you lose. Can't remember who told me that or where I read it though, sorry.

That appears to be the case aswell. A number of reports have shown that dieters using a properly balanced VLCD formula diets following guidelines with reintroduction of food etc, have maintained their weight better than alternative 'traditional' dieters. I have no idea why this is, since the diet doesn't determine your chances of keeping the weight off (IMO), but I guess it's possibly to do with the fact that you generally lose less lean, and perhaps because taking that time away from foods gives you good breathing space to work out what you need, and why we eat when we don't need.

Who knows.

Some people feel that they gain quickly after a VLCD, but they are usually referring to the gain of glycogen/water that can jump on suddenly after falling off the wagon. Unless they understand why this happens, it can easily be assumed that the diet has messed up their metabolism etc.

So, yes, there's research out their that says we have more chance of maintaining (with a proper VLCD), though it's probably just a 'little' more chance...or equal chance. I haven't seen any reports that say the opposite..not when compared to a structured VLCD such as cambridge

I'm determined I won't be restarting this time next year - the weight I've lost has cost me around £1000 with Cambridge so that's a big motivation to keep it off. I think it's been a break from food that has done me good and retrained my eating so that I know I don't need (or want) particularly the foods that I used to crave. I don't want to go back to eating 'normally' (for me) as it was that type of eating that piled 4 stones on in the first place so yes, I am going to watch what I eat for the rest of my life although I hope it will become less obvious and more of a habit before long.
Doing other diets has not cut out the trigger foods in the past, just reduced them - it's like telling an alcoholic they can have 3 small drinks a day, rather than a bender. When they finish the 'diet', they are more likely to go no the bender than someone who's done cold turkey and given up the booze (which is how I view CD from a food point of view)

As others have said, any diet you do you can put the weight back on..
I started CD in February and got to my goal in October. My weight changes by a couple of pounds but thats it and I for one definately wont be putting that weight back on.
Good luck with your journey whichever way you decide to go x

The cambridge part is the easy bit its the maintaining that is where the real work starts. I remember in a previous post that KD said that after you have lost your weight thats the part where you really have to work at it by changing your eating habits and making wise choices to maintain.

Back