Red Day Question for those who have slow cooked a ham

maypole

loves to eat
I apologise if I am being a bit thick here but went to asda today & looked up & down for a piece of ham to cook. Could only find Gammon Joints & Bacon Joints :confused: Is that what I am meant to get or am I looking in the wrong place

HELP

Thanks in Advance

You were looking at the right cuts of ham.When I cook mine I usually boil it first ,for about 10 mins either put it in the slow cooker on low ,all day,or change the water ,bring back to the boil then simmer until it's cooked.As a cooking guide I cook for 20 mins/lb. Hope this helps

QUOTE=wendy in wales;2431881]You were looking at the right cuts of ham.When I cook mine I usually boil it first ,for about 10 mins either put it in the slow cooker on low ,all day,or change the water ,bring back to the boil then simmer until it's cooked.As a cooking guide I cook for 20 mins/lb. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Still a bit confused :confused: does a gammon/bacon joint become ham when you cook it?

I've only ever done this once (at Xmas). I'd intended to boil it first, but came home a bit tipsy on chistmas eve and couldn't be bothered. I rinsed it with boiling water, got the fat off, chucked it in the slow cooker and poured a can of cider over it, urned the slow cooker onto medium and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning (to a decidedly strange smell) I took it out and got off any last traces of fat and let it cool down ready for Xmas teatime and it was blooming marvellous. Everyone was very impressed.

There'd be a lot of happy people on here if we found a syn free alcoholic drink! But alas it is not to be.

Hi

I dont boil mine first i like it quite salty and if you cook it in diet coke and onion (adapted nigella recipe).

when cooked take most of fat off then score it and rub 1 tablespoon of treacle ( 2syns) on it and mustard powder on top and bake in oven its called blackened ham as it looks burnt on outside but its the treacle.

Very tasty

Carla

Back