Advice needed from those who have lost tons of weight

Flossiefloo

Hi Everyone

I am morbidly obese, I have about 130lb to lose and I am so worried about being left with lots of loose, sagging skin.

My question to you all is what is the best way to avoid this?

I am drinking plenty of water to hopefully help my skin to keep its elasticity, and am doing light, stretch exercises to try and stay toned, but I am concerned that this is not going to help much.

Can anyone who has been in this position and who managed to lose huge amount of weight possibly offer me any advice, helpful hints and tips?

(I am 43 years old and live a fairly sedentary life due to Fibromyalgia/CFS)

Thanks in advance x

Hi, at the start of my weightloss I was sedentary. After the first few weeks of losing weight, I attempted my first evening walk with my husband. I remember only getting to the top of my road (only about 50 yards), and I was out of breath, in pain, sweating and red in the face. I carried on (often taking painkillers before my walk). I consulted my GP who told me I was ok to carry on. The pain during walking gradually went over a couple of weeks. I would say it was in October/November last year when I started walking, and now we walk and cycle. Walking is supposed to be the best form of exercise for pulling things back in skinwise. (above gym exercise, and targeted exercise). My skin is ok. I'm not happy with the tops of my arms, as they have always been bad, so may have to consider corrective surgery on them when I reach my target weight.

I've exercised since day 1 of starting my weight loss journey. I don't know if it's helping or hindering with skin. I've noted the skin on my arms and belly has definitely gone looser since I started the diet but I'd rather have a bit of loose skin than be back to where I was before. I drink as much water as I can and I also use Palmers firming body lotion which does seem to help

Wow,

You're doing brilliantly, what you're doing seems to be the best for now, at some point exercise in the form of weight training which will strengthen your body and snap more skin back,

Finally option is surgery. But 120"lbs, I have a total of 6 stone plus to lose approx 90 odd pounds, I seem to be ok for now, yet early days!

Just keep doing what you are and I'm pretty sure things will go how you want them too

Xx

I had the same question. I am 48 now but I have to loose the weight due to health issues mainly, CFS being one of them. Looking like 20 years ago again will be a bonus but I am expecting loose skin. I have an online contact who exercised and she was left with some excess skin. But better to have that than diabetes.

Hey Agibee,

I can't say I've lost tons of weight, to date 3 stones and still another 3 to go, I'm 5.9" and started at 15s7lbs last weigh in 12.8 but have been naughty this week, so that's another story, I have noticed I am getting loose skin, btw, I'm 49, I have an under active thyroid, on 125mg a day, although I'm not sure if I can account my gains to this, it was pure gluttony, I was always slim when my thyroid was eventually detected.

My BP was 142/105 earlier this year until I started to lose the weight, I'm at the half way mark and I wasn't intending to exercise until nearer to goal, but I've noticed I'm getting slack with my plan and losses have stalled because of this, so shaking things up and including exercise now to hopefully not have excess skin as it will happen at some point I'm sure, but I can live with that and once I'm in maintenance for a year and have been exercising if at that point what I have is something I can't bare to live with I will look at surgery as an option.

But you've hit the nail on the head, health is priority.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but hoping you jump on the weight loss wagon

Xxx

I'm getting a saggy belly flap and baggy upper arms. I walk and swim and cycle which is helping the muscle tone but I am sure I will still be left with some excess skin. My bikini days are over and I'll just have to wear sleeves.

Hold that thought Tip,

The body can do some amazing things, stick with it, your body will reduce any excess it may take 6 months but it will manage a lot.

Increase muscle density and continue in the same vain, it will reduce and you will be wearing that bikini again.

That's my plan and am confident it will make a significant difference

Xx

Collagen supplements can help as can regular exfoliating and moisturizing. Obviously exercising and doing toning work will help to minimise any saggy skin but I think you have to go at it from all angles. Good luck hun. Xx

This does bother me, but I’m more focused on all the health benefits for now. I am trying to walk as much as I can (I have some mobility issues following a car accident) and I’m trying to do some light weights.
i often see the inspirational weight loss stories in magazines and I wonder what those people have done to help with loose skin as they never seem to have any from the photos or mention it in the stories.

has anyone any diet plans to loose weight quick?im wanting to shed 2 stone for the summer any advice will help thanks x

has anyone any diet plans to loose weight quick?im wanting to shed 2 stone for the summer any advice will help thanks x

Select Sedentary. Take away 500 calories from that total and stick to that calorie intake per day and you should find yourself losing 1lb per week. Take 1000 off that per day and you should lose 2lb per week.

If you exercise, you can add the calories burned to this total to allow yourself more food.

I mean you could go down the liquid meals method but all this is doing is giving you less calories for a meal but you might find yourself very hungry and not enjoying it so why not just limit your daily calorie intake and eat what you enjoy. Aim for filling healthy foods, particularly vegetables.

You have a while until Summer, you don't need to do anything drastic, just lose it steadily and slowly rather than a crash diet.

As for the loose skin question. Mine's dangling off me around the gut. Nothing but surgery is going to sort this out! The best I can really aim for now is to strengthen up in the areas where the loose skin is and hope muscle mass covers it up slightly, but it doesn't bother me that much, I'm comfortable with it and it's a sign of my achievement.

Back