Question for you Horsey folks!

callysplace

Hi question for you horse owners out there.
I have a 11 yr old saint of a pony, Tiny, that has not only taught my two girls to ride but tons of other littles one, Hes the pony on the yard that the kids fight tooth and nail to ride. He would take the littlest one off the lead rein and give them tons of confidence, win them stack of rossettes etc
So after been totaly outgrown by the girls I made the horrible decision to sell him, a lady contacted me and was desperate to have him, she asked for a trial with him and paid the full amount in cash, Tiny travelled down to Devon from South Yorkshire and we got a phone call that night to say that he was wonderful and they has already ridden him (I was not happy and told them so!) he was sent with a list of dos and donts and lots of phone calls with lots of advice. Two days later I get a call that he has bucked off her kids, then Im subjected to calls nightly about how naughty he is and how appauling his behaviour is! Tiny was sent down with glowing recomendation from dc of pony club as well as my instructor, both putting their reputations on the line to give me these!
So Tiny came home and since then has been a nightmare when ridden, the minute he is taken off the lead rein his head goes down and he bucks until the little one comes off, he only does this in the field not on the road, but its devistating to see this change in him. He bucked today and caught me on the leg not badly but enough is enough. I have contacted the cretin that had him and in her own words "he was treated like a prince" and it was my fault!!!! I really dont know where to go from here with him, I know he will be 100% as a leadrein pony but it seems like such a waste of a nice pony that has given so many so much confidence.

ANY IDEAS ANY ONE PLEASE!!!!!! :cry:

What the heck did they do to him?
My only experience is from years ago I'm afraid, I stopped riding at about age 16 or so, so can't really advise you, but what a bloomin' shame.
Maybe with a bit of time and patience, if you keep him a little longer he'll settle back to being the lovely pony he clearly once was.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Good luck.

What the heck did they do to him?
My only experience is from years ago I'm afraid, I stopped riding at about age 16 or so, so can't really advise you, but what a bloomin' shame.
Maybe with a bit of time and patience, if you keep him a little longer he'll settle back to being the lovely pony he clearly once was.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Good luck.

Thanks melanie,
Thats my thought exactly! He followed me around the field today like a little lamb lost, going to try him at the weekend again and see how he goes.

I wonder if they used a different saddle which hurt his back or a heavy rider rode him or they did the girth up too tight - just a couple of thoughts xx

I wonder if they used a different saddle which hurt his back or a heavy rider rode him or they did the girth up too tight - just a couple of thoughts xx

Hiya sus, been on the phone tonight to a lovely lady whos on here, she does bhs judging. She thinks it could be steming from a back problem with traveling down and then been rode straight away. She is putting me onto a physio and has given me lots of exercises to do with him but the saddle was one thing that could be troubling him. Im hoping that this will do the trick!

Hiya sus, been on the phone tonight to a lovely lady whos on here, she does bhs judging. She thinks it could be steming from a back problem with traveling down and then been rode straight away. She is putting me onto a physio and has given me lots of exercises to do with him but the saddle was one thing that could be troubling him. Im hoping that this will do the trick!

I hope you sort it out soon - it such a problem when they seem to alter personality - trouble is some people dont look after them like we do. I have an ex-racehorse who during the summer rides like a donkey but when she is on hard feed she goes off her head and thinks she is back on the race course - I seem to always have one thing after another ie mud fever, lame, back, teeth - but who cares I love them to bits. Good luck - keep us posted xx

Ive been watching this thread dying for something good to happn for the little horsey.. so glad that people have been able to help..!

x x

Great news!!! Tiny is going to live at an eventing yard, the chap who is looking after him competes at international level and knows all about the little ones problems. He phoned about him a few months ago when tiny was away on the trial and called again a few days ago to see if he was still available. I explained to him everything that has happened and he was totaly confident that with the right work and exercise the pain problem will soon go. He agreed with perissia that the problems stem from riding the pony too soon after traveling and thinks some physio with his wife will soon put him right. I wouldnt have let him go but this fella forgots more info on horses than I can ever learn in a life time, and the facitities at the yard are totaly out of this world, hes moving to the horse equivilant of the ritz, I asked if I could come and live there but he said the pony would be less trouble lol. Hes keeping in close contact with me about his progress and we get to have weekly visits, so Im totaly confident that this is the right place for him they all fell in love with him and he behaved himself wonderfully so I have all my fingers and toes crossed that this is going to work out!!!

Wonderful news - sounds as if you/Tiny have fallen on your feet there - I am sure Tiny will be back to his normal self soon - it must be a great weight off your mind knowing he is going somewhere so knowledgeable - keep us posted on his progress xx

Back