Extra Easy Question re Weekly Weigh-In/Image Therapy

I agree! I stay to the meeting in the hope of picking up good tips etc, but it is mainly going through a long list of who has lost/gained what! If it doesnt start changing soon I may stop staying to group as I have other things I could be doing for that hour like a nice long walk or preparing/planning meals for the rest of the week! One thing (prob the only thing) I preferred about WW was in the meetings it was 10 mins of losses/gains and the rest spent talking about ideas / recipes / exercises / tips etc. The WW leader would ask at the start 'anyone want to brag about their loss' A few people would put hands up and say 3lb here, 2lb there followed by the obligatory clapping, then she would ask if anyone wasnt happy, do they know why, if not see her at the end. Then she would just get on with meeting. She would talk about new recipes in the book, ask if anyone wanting to share anything they had had that week, sometimes would talk about portion sizes, sometimes she even brough in a little camping heater and cooked something quick and easy to show us! We would also talk about things and how to improve them without ruining weighloss (i.e. mashed potato - how to make it taste nice without adding butter, what else can we use etc) I found that much more useful than just hearing what each person has and hasnt lost! Our leader is really nice and motivating, and I have picked up some good tips, but its a big group and takes ages to get through everyone. Its quite boring after the first 10 people and then I feel rude as I struggle paying attention and end up switching off. Definiately think they could improve the use of time at image therapy! Surely we dont need to know what EVERY person has lost/gained??!!

We seem to kinda do both! Admittedly I've only had 2 meetings, my new member one and the one last week where the C split us into 2 teams and announced each persons weight loss (or mentioned if they'd had a gain but didn't give an amount there) Each lb that was lost was worth 100 points for the team and the team with the most points at the end won, then she chose a person at random from the winning team and gave them a box of hi fi bars!!! We also chatted about new recipes, tips or if anyone had seen anything on offer at the supermarkets etc. I'm really glad I decided to actually go to meetings this time round even though it is a little difficult for me, I'm hoping it will give me the push I need!

I agree! I stay to the meeting in the hope of picking up good tips etc, but it is mainly going through a long list of who has lost/gained what! If it doesnt start changing soon I may stop staying to group as I have other things I could be doing for that hour like a nice long walk or preparing/planning meals for the rest of the week! One thing (prob the only thing) I preferred about WW was in the meetings it was 10 mins of losses/gains and the rest spent talking about ideas / recipes / exercises / tips etc. The WW leader would ask at the start 'anyone want to brag about their loss' A few people would put hands up and say 3lb here, 2lb there followed by the obligatory clapping, then she would ask if anyone wasnt happy, do they know why, if not see her at the end. Then she would just get on with meeting. She would talk about new recipes in the book, ask if anyone wanting to share anything they had had that week, sometimes would talk about portion sizes, sometimes she even brough in a little camping heater and cooked something quick and easy to show us! We would also talk about things and how to improve them without ruining weighloss (i.e. mashed potato - how to make it taste nice without adding butter, what else can we use etc) I found that much more useful than just hearing what each person has and hasnt lost! Our leader is really nice and motivating, and I have picked up some good tips, but its a big group and takes ages to get through everyone. Its quite boring after the first 10 people and then I feel rude as I struggle paying attention and end up switching off. Definiately think they could improve the use of time at image therapy! Surely we dont need to know what EVERY person has lost/gained??!!

Image therapy means every single person gets their turn. Not just a few. Everyone. Each person has a chance to share an idea or recipe if they choose to do so.

Individual motivation and group experience is the IMAGE bit.

I don't know why people find it boring, share and support each other.

Some people would never speak if it was done the weight watchers way and anyway, it's Slimming Worlds way, it's been the same for years and I doubt Margaret would change it!!!!

Mine does it all a bit different the way she gets through everyone ....she gets told off for it by her bosses but her class Is way better as a result .....ive had 3 consultants and she Is only one that has done it quicker and better ..... But she gets told off as its not sw protocol .....ridiculous

I don't enjoy group very much, although I try to stay as much as I can as I do sometimes pick up useful information. Our group has a clique of chatty women which makes image therapy very uncomfortable. They chat through everyone else's turns, and the C is constantly having to tell them to be quiet. It stresses me out, and I can see the C getting more stressed! It feels like being at school. The C is very knowledgeable, and has been very helpful to me, but as our group expands she always seem to be rushing to get through each person to the point where she sometimes doesn't seem to take on board what is being said. She seems under a fair bit of pressure, and I do wish the group was more laid back. I also enjoyed WW meetings more, although I much prefer the SW plan. I agree that WW seemed to be more useful. I understand that SW is all about individual Image Therapy, but our poor C doesn't seem to have the time and it just turns out to be us saying whether we are happy or not and promising to send her our food diaries. I have considered attending another group, but my nearest is about 20 minutes away by car, down country lanes which I don't fancy in the winter. Anyway, our C is lovely and I don't want to leave. i just give myself a week off every few weeks, and make sure DH has a glass of wine ready for me after every meeting!

I think it's a lot to do with the people in your group. I swapped to a Saturday morning group about 18 months ago, with the same consultant & tbh, it wasn't the best for my weight loss. The group was nicer, but it felt more like people were there for the social side and ween't that serious about their weight loss. I struggled to feel motivated when I left each week.

Conversely, I swapped back to my old Tuesday evening group in the new year & they are all seriously motivated & focused about their weight loss & it helps keep me motivated as well. They are full of tips ( ones which aren't just 'make sure you plan' and 'batch cook' ), and they have all been successful at losing.

One woman really inspired me - and anyone eho has been on here a while knows i don't say that very often at all. When I started at the group 2 years ago she was much larger than she is now, and she wasn't following plan at all. She was going to group each week but not really being involved. She's lost 6 stone since I moved to the other group & looks amazing!

My c starts off with company news, then total loss of group...shr then gives out certificates - we then do image therapy, which I find amazing even though all thr tips/recipes are irrelevant to me. I am so happy when people lose and love cheering them on :) also hearing people talk about gains - really helpful stuff comes out of it. We then do raffle etc at the end. We have a massive group and my c manages to read every person well, some don't want to talk much and she knows when this is so moves on to next person. I can't fault her as we have such a diverse group and it can get quite boisterous at times!!

I would feel gutted if I couldn't stay to group, even if its with a bunch of strangers I'm so happy when people lose and I don't imagine ever finding other people's happiness boring :)

I would feel gutted if I couldn't stay to group, even if its with a bunch of strangers I'm so happy when people lose and I don't imagine ever finding other people's happiness boring :)

Couldn't have said it better. My group all know why I'm there and I know they're all cheering me on so I want to do the same for them. Why wouldn't I want for them what I want for myself? It's lovely to see someone who has been struggling have a massive loss, especially if you've been able to help them though it. :)

Our C is great, does the gain/lose bit then straight into Q&A from the members.

Great opportunity to get loads of tip about the plan. I think also a great C is half the battle to SW

Thanks so much for feedback guys, I will definitely stay. I've met some really lovely people so far who I encourage and encourage me, I think the main problem is that there are 60 + people in the Group so perhaps I might suggest to our leader to put on another session to reduce session size and that way we might get more out of it.

AbFab

the group size fluctuates all the time. Stick with it and you will find that this is peak season and come February things will start to improve. I think consultants are really encouraged to have big groups - I am sure mine has some sort of award for a 100 member group (not the one I go to thank goodness).

Back