Questions about starting LL - mainly the cost?

My weight has always gone up and down. I'm 5'4 and 4 years ago I weighed 129lbs (sorry don't know what that is in stone) on my wedding day. Now I've got a 5 month old and weigh a disgusting 194lbs (I think that's around 14 stone). I've always been able to loose weight fairly easily if I tried, but I've been eating healthy and going to the gym a few days a week for the past 6 weeks and have only lost 4lbs!!! How depressing! I've also got PCOS which I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'm really interested in Lighter Life, but didn't find the website that informative, other than I'd be only 4 replacement shake meals a day. I didn't see any info on how much the program is to join, how much each food package is, the flavours, or anything. I know a few people who have had good success with LL, but I think they gain the weight back pretty quickly after they stop. I'm looking to loose about 60lbs or 70lbs, and then maintain the weight loss with regular food.

Is this realistic? How long would it take me to loose?

LighterLife is an amazing weight loss programme, as for putting the weight back on afterwards, that will of course happen if you go back and continue the way you were eating beforehand. The good thing with LighterLife is that after reaching your weight loss goal, you do a follow on programme in which you cut back on foodpacks and re-introduce food.
There are 2 versions of LL, theres LighterLife total which consists of 4 daily foodpacks, they come in a variety of flavours, or bars that total 500kcals a day but contain 100% of your RDA's. Thats £74 a week, and then LighterLife lite, which is what im on, it consists of 3 foodpacks and 1 meal from a list of carefully selected ingredients. That costs £54 a week, and the weight loss is roughly the same. Ive lost 2 stone in the first month alone.
I would say you should average 1 stone a month, so with 70lbs to loose it will only take you 5 months, pretty outstanding really/ You could nice and slim by summer x

You'll get lots of answers here. regards the cost. At the moment it is £72 for all your food each week. This is changing at some point in the future and you will be able to buy your food packs separately for anywhere from around £1.25 to £2.10 (I think). This still works out at about £72 a week with the counselling sessions at £15. So no real change there.

The counselling is an essential part of the process and should not be missed. You will benefit from them and those of us who attend each and every week manage to stick to things pretty well.

You can expect to lose around 10 -14 pounds a month pretty much throughout the whole process.. This is much better than any other weight loss method and providing you stick to it 100% you will see losses every week. With PCOS you may lose more slowly, but you will still lose.

You need to drink at least 2-3 litres of water every day or your losses will slow down. This is also an essential part of the plan. But you can buy water flavourings as an extra on top of the £72 if you don't like water much.

Lots of people gain the weight back after LL, but all of them went off track and off the diet. This is a lifetime commitment and you will be able to keep attending forever if you want for free once you reach your goal.

You will go through a maintenance program which helps you introduce food really slowly and carefully. Those people who do this to the letter tend to keep the weight off. Those people who think they can do it themselves are usually wrong.

The packs consist of shakes: choc, strawberry, vanilla and banana - soups: minestrone, pea and ham, vegetable, mushroom - meals: carbonara, shepherds pie, chilli - bars: cereal and chocolate based - porridge: plain and cinnamon and apple

You need to see your doctor (if you are on meds) or a superdrug trained pharmacist to get the starting physical (BP check). This is ongoing (once a month) and a required part of the program if you are doing total.

I started out at the same weight as you are now and never thought I would get so far. But I have now lost close to 2 stone (28 pounds) and feel amazing. it has taken me just 10 weeks. I have stuck to it 100% and will do until I am free from maintenance and able to stand on my own two feet. Even then the plan is there for me to fall back on if required.

remember that pregnancy is hard on your body and hard to recover from. Your self esteem can take a bashing and from your comments about how you feel disgusting, I think you will benefit from the counselling. it will teach you to love yourself again and put yourself first.

Give it a go.

Lighter life is a great solution and I can't exagerate how impoertant the councilling is in my weight loss. However, if £72 per week is too expensive for you there are other options for similar diets. First of all though think about how much you sepnd each week on food - including alcohol, take aways, sandwiches/cakes when in a coffee shop. You won't be doing any of those things so you need to include it in your current costs to see whether it really is that expensive.

If having looked at the costs LL is still too expensive then there are other options. The Camridge diet is cheaper and works in the same way. You still see someone every week to weigh but you won't get any councilling. I think it's about £55 per week. Alternatively you could go the completely no councillor route by doing one of the online programmes which works in the same way - such as Slim and Save. That would cost you around £120 for 4 weeks supply but you would get no face to face support and would need to do your own weigh in etc.

I started lighterlife in October my little boy was 5 months I was 18.8lbs now 20 weeks on I'm just under 14st. I also suffer pcos. I still have a bit to loose but I'm more than half way there! I have managed to do ll on smp pay also. It's been the best thing I have could have done for myself I was miserable with my weight and feel so much better for it!

I was feeling guilty at the amount I was spending on LL but I calculated the following:

24 weeks on LL @ £72 = £1728 :eek:

Less 24 x £50 which I would
have prob spent on my 'normal' food = £1200

Cost for me to stay on LL = £528
& lose my flab

Would I be happy to pay £528 to get back to a normal weight, feel 100% better and wear nice clothes -YES I would.

Lighter life is a great solution and I can't exagerate how impoertant the councilling is in my weight loss. However, if £72 per week is too expensive for you there are other options for similar diets. First of all though think about how much you sepnd each week on food - including alcohol, take aways, sandwiches/cakes when in a coffee shop. You won't be doing any of those things so you need to include it in your current costs to see whether it really is that expensive.

If having looked at the costs LL is still too expensive then there are other options. The Camridge diet is cheaper and works in the same way. You still see someone every week to weigh but you won't get any councilling. I think it's about £55 per week. Alternatively you could go the completely no councillor route by doing one of the online programmes which works in the same way - such as Slim and Save. That would cost you around £120 for 4 weeks supply but you would get no face to face support and would need to do your own weigh in etc.
it varies, but the average CD cost for a woman under 5'8" is £42. £56 would be for men or taller women, who need an extra pack.

heh - thanks. and i'm a slow loser. most people lose faster than me!

I don't have anything to add about the prices, how great the counselling is etc but I have PCOS too and I lost 10lbs in my first week which is more than the other 2 ladies who started at the same time as me, so I don't think it will hold you back. Low carb/GI diets are recommended for PCOS anyway because of the possible insullin resistance you can have with it, so this diet seems to be great for it.

Back