Questions, Answers, Tips, Advice, Ramble Ramble...

stef2009

Gold Member
Ok so i have a few little niggly questions and stuff so thought it best make a new thread than ask in the middle of ppls diarys!!

First of all does any1 know how many cals are in stawberrys and bananas??

If you go to a gym or have a wii or wotever.. how many cals do u hope 2 burn in each session...?

A FEW TIPS

I have tried 'superdrugs' meal replacment shakes today, there ok, not too bad, i am thinking of replacing 1 meal a day with a shake as im fussy at eating and get bored so that will fill me nicely up till my next meal, incase any1 is interested its £5 for a tub which u get 12 shakes out of!

Also went to asda today and theres this new biscuit breakfast thingy out called 'belvita' basically it has 56 cals per biscuits ( theres 4 in each pack ) and there made to fill u up right up until your next meal and there really yummy i got 3 boxes as there on offer at the moment £1 each but originally prices at £2.20!

Thats all for now....
Please do Share your questions and tips..

Stef x x

(p.s) got weighed 2day im 16.11, thought i was just over 17stone, so thats a bonus!

thans for the tips hunni, i use tesco meal replacement a few times a week too very handy when i need to do a food shop! i have seen that belvita advertised and thought about trying it.. will have to go to asda monday!

i use the wii fit and try to do an hour but try to get the intensity high so i burn a choc bar which the wii says is around 380 cals so aim to do that each time! i usually do 30mins free step on the fastest pace 15-20mins boxing and some jogging and hula hooping..
i will join a gym when i can afford to!

strawberries 28cals per 100g
banana medium size approx 115g is 105cals

nic x

Yeah 380 cals makes sence! I've only been doing 200 on the treadmill then doin some weights, ive been going the gym 4 ages but dont have a clue what i should be using, the treadmills my best friend and thats about it!. Think i need 2 slowly work my way up to about 400 cals a time! Really dont think 200 is enough and only going 3 times a week x x

Actually aswell, my phone has got a calorie counter on, I'm going to keep it in my pocket all the time n see how many calories i burn through the day cause the only time i'm still is on this laptop!

Oh god sorry im goin to have to rant again!!!
Has any1 noticed that everything says different weights and bmi's!??
My gym scales says 1 thing, Food focus says another, even minimims says different!! How annoyin!!
I've entered the exact details off the scales in the gym and it tells me my BMI is 44.5 YET minimins says 43.7 and food focus says 46.1?
How the hell am i suppose to know which to go off :-|

thats odd will have to check my food focus and minimins.. u puttin them all in as lbs or some as KGs?

yeah food focus says 42.9 and minimins says 42.6 ODD!

How can it be different when your entering the same weight and height? lol very silly! x x

Your gym should have trainers/instructors who can help you devise a programme that will help you achieve your goals.

I only joined the gym a few weeks ago but my trainer set me up with a basic cardio programme (cross trainer, bike, rower & treadmill) which I can build on to keep challenging myself. He recommends at least 30 mins of cardio a day - doesn't have to be at the gym...can be a good brisk walk or an aerobics class or whatever. This week, he added in a weights/resistance programme which I have to do alongside the cardio 3 times per week. I'll have another review in 2 weeks time.

I do a cardio session at the gym at least 5-6 times a week...each session burns 500-600 calories. I have no idea what the weights sessions burn but weight training makes you burn more calories for longer (ie. you keep burning calories at an enhanced rate after you've finished the session). Just as well that there's some benefit to them as I'm in such pain after my first 2 sessions that I can barely lift my handbag!

lol at the handbag! yeah what ive been told is the more muscle you have the quicker you burn fat so although muscle is heavier than fat the more muscle you build the more efficient yur cardio becomes at burning fat :)

Oh christ i am doing no where near enough with burnin 200 cals 3 times a week ha!
i can only go 3 times a week though due to childcare arrangments so when i do go i better bloody make sure im doin 500 cals a time atleast!!!

BMI is not a suitable indicator of your fitness or health. It's a guideline, nothing more. Really not worth getting worried about.

Worry more about your weight and getting fit. The BMI will take care of itself :)

Yeah bmi who needs that anyway lol
Been the gym today, did 380cals on the treadmill then lots of step exercises with them little weight thingys, hopfully ive managed burn 500cals! I am inagony already and shattered haha, possibly 1 of the most unfittest people ever!! i think my 3 yr old son will have 2 drag me out of bed 2morro at his 5.30am wake-up call!!

A lil tip for any1 using a treadmill, cover the screen with ur towel!
I was always constantly looking at the calories and time and never did much, but i covered it 2day ( cos i saw some1 else do it ) and it works u do loads more x x

Yeah bmi who needs that anyway lol
Been the gym today, did 380cals on the treadmill then lots of step exercises with them little weight thingys, hopfully ive managed burn 500cals! I am inagony already and shattered haha, possibly 1 of the most unfittest people ever!! i think my 3 yr old son will have 2 drag me out of bed 2morro at his 5.30am wake-up call!!

A lil tip for any1 using a treadmill, cover the screen with ur towel!
I was always constantly looking at the calories and time and never did much, but i covered it 2day ( cos i saw some1 else do it ) and it works u do loads more x x

I've seen people cove rthe dispay on the exercise machines too. I either have my ipod on to take my mind off what I'm doing (very dangerous...I've caught myself almost singing out loud a few times and I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!) or tune into to something on TV and focus on that.

Sometimes I find myself fixated on the display, though...working out how many seconds it takes to burn one calorie or trying to get to the next round number (225? Sure I might as well do 250...). Maybe I'm weird? (You don't have to answer that!) :D

well done on your gym! desparately need to jpoin one but wondering if id have time to go etc.. question is city council or total fitness?? where do u go?

nic x

iPod is definitely the way forward :D
500 calories? Crikey! Were you plugging away at it for an hour and a half? If so, you're far fitter than me ;)

well done on your gym! desparately need to jpoin one but wondering if id have time to go etc.. question is city council or total fitness?? where do u go?

nic x

If that question's for me? I go to Esporta. Have a look at your city council one and Total Fitness and see which you like the look of best.

It doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you go :D

iPod is definitely the way forward :D
500 calories? Crikey! Were you plugging away at it for an hour and a half? If so, you're far fitter than me ;)

Blimey...no! Not that long at all. Let's see, I do:
7 minutes on the cross trainer = 115 cals approx.
10 minutes on the bike = 80ish cals
5 minutes on the rower = a paltry 50ish cals - so not worth it for the amount of effort it requires :rolleyes: But it's on my training programme for now so I'll perservere with it.
25-30 minutes on the treadmill (at a brisk pace and an incline) = 250-300cals

So that's 45-50 minutes or thereabouts.

On the days when I have to do weights as well (3 times a week), then it takes more like an hour and a half (and hurts 10 times more! :eek: )

Oooh yes ive been known 2 blast a tune out listening to the ipod haha!
I go to total fitness gym, I only use treadmill and do step ups with weights though as im limited cos i have a bad back :-|
I'm aiming for 350-400 cals on the treadmill and 100-150cals with my step ups!
Its amazing how much better i do on the treadmill with that towel covering the screen!!
Only join the gym if ur going to use it cos it aint exactly cheap! Unless u go 2 one where u can pay as u go, thats not too bad, theres plenty of ways 2 exercise rather than sign into a gym contract and dont have time 2 go!! x x

Blimey...no! Not that long at all. Let's see, I do:
7 minutes on the cross trainer = 115 cals approx.
10 minutes on the bike = 80ish cals
5 minutes on the rower = a paltry 50ish cals - so not worth it for the amount of effort it requires :rolleyes: But it's on my training programme for now so I'll perservere with it.
25-30 minutes on the treadmill (at a brisk pace and an incline) = 250-300cals

So that's 45-50 minutes or thereabouts.

On the days when I have to do weights as well (3 times a week), then it takes more like an hour and a half (and hurts 10 times more! :eek: )

Ah hah, you're a lot faster than me, then. That and I'm terrible at maths and forgot I only really do about 30 minutes :D

Back