Quick meals for students

CDavies

I go back to university in September and this creates an obstacle for me. My free time will be reduced dramatically due to all the studying and paper writing, as well working a 20 hour a week job. Normally i will get a sushi or something to go if I'm out or make a small pasta box. But some of these foods are getting repetitive and boring. Can anyone suggest any quick fix meals?

Hey I'm a student and I find that if you need food on the go-check out your student's union. If it's anything like mine, they actively encourage healthy eating amongst students and there is a plethora of healthy food available, like salad bars. Hopefully yours will have the same and it will become very useful if you're on the go studying in the library etc xx

I'll do that thanks! :D

Because there isn't a village for a good 2 miles I'm normally resorted to using the on-campus shops. But they don't offer anything healthy in there apart from cereal bars. I actually saw a Tuna Pasta box that had 21grams of fat in today! I mean, how do they manage that?! 'contains Tuna, Pasta, Sweetcorn, Mayo, oh, and a chod of lard.

My friend bought one and said it tasted of feet. So a wise investment to avoid for me.

as a student myself, I tend to make soups a lot as a large pan lasts a few meals, also a curry I do with low fat coconut milk, if you want the recipie drop me a pm il send it over, works well with frozen quorn pieces, chicken or even beef... x

How about eating more vegetables and protein? You can get frozen fish in Aldi for relatively cheap (most people like cod or salmon:) ) Wrap it in tin foil and put dried dill (fresh dill would obviously be better but I'm thinking of a student budget :) ) and lemon juice on the fillet. Wrap the tin foil around and put in the oven. It should take about half an hour. Serve with baby potatoes, peas, carrots. You can buy mixed frozen vegetables, frozen carrots, frozen broccoli, sweetcorn in Tesco which are pretty cheap too. Why not try making your own sandwiches or soup or salad and bringing to lunch with you? If you buy lean ham, lettuce, tomato and skip the spread, it's pretty healthy.

Oh those tuna pasta box things are desperate! They just have loads of mayo in them, which of course bumps up the calories. Mayo is not your friend on a diet lol!!

Baked potato and beans..you can bake your potato in the microwave in two min, just put a cross on the potato at the top and then wrap it in kitchen paper (one sheet is okay).

Making your own salad is really nice-get slices of ham or chicken or turkey and put with lettuce, sweetcorn, beetroot, tomato, peppers, red onion. That sounds like a lot and it is but it's so low fat and will really fill you up :)

Back