quick question..fruit smoothies

Gemsy

Hello All,

I know this may sound silly but a quick question.. I make up smoothies for the children and they love them..If i make a smoothie with all 'Free' Fruit will this be ok.. or can the fruit only be 'Free' if i eat it raw like an apple etc.. as i would love a smoothie.. but just dont know..

If anyone could let me know i would be gratefull.

Many thanks, keep up the good work!

Gems xx

Fruit is always synned when pureed or cooked.

Reason is.... you can consume so much more fruit in a smoothie than if you ate it!

The minute you blend fruit it has syns ... the average banana has 4, apple 2.5, kiwi 1 etc ... so a smoothie can come very high in syns :(

better bet is to have a large bowl of mixed fruit with a yogurt poured over the top - free!

Fruit is only free if 'whole from the bowl' - chop/cook/blend/mash/puree and you have to syn it

Hi Gems,

A smoothie would be syns as you are blending the fruit. The idea behind that is like juice, you possibly wouldn't eat the quantity of fruit you add to a smoothie in one sitting.

Anything cooked or blended counts as syns I am afraid, just because you're likely to eat much more than if you ate them in their natural state.

They beat me to it!

You've got to syn it if it's cooked or blended - the reasoning behind that is when it's like that, it's much easier to have more of it.

Sorry!

Fruit is only free if 'whole from the bowl' - chop/cook/blend/mash/puree and you have to syn it

I mash a banana onto toast but it's one banana and I don't syn it! Not sure about the chopping though Angie, I think you can chop it and it's okay!!!

ahh brilliant, at least i know thank you ladies.. that was close!!

i have just been reading and i think i made a mistake yesterday, i did so well.. went out with the girls for dinner, had a jacked potato and beans.. and then when i got home had the munchies so had some super noodles but not the fat free ones.. i had no syns yesterday so hoping that it will cover it.. oops tesco run at the weekend for as many fat free ones as i can find.. xx

I hope you can chop it and not have to syn it :( :confused: Otherwise I am totally screwed! I made the mistake with the smoothies too hun. x

i was so close to having a smoothie today as the children that i look after love them.. it took me a while they always wasnted the milkshakes with the ice cream in it lol.. so thought would be better to get them on to fruit.. thank goodness for you guys otherwise i would have knocked a couple back lol xx

I chop without synning! Otherwise I'd be fooked...my fruit salads would be synned and then I'd be in trouble!

Surely if you syn it just because you chop it, that would make 90% of the SW recipes syn values wrong?

My consulant categorically said if you mash a banana you have to syn it!!! I can't agree!

I get the smoothie thing and the cooking thing (you eat more than the "raw" state). I fail to see how mashing a banana gives it a syn value.

You mash it in your mouth to swallow it, so what is the difference!
I took no notice!

Crazy!!! If I slice one banana onto toast then it's okay but if I mash that one banana, in my opinion, there's no difference!!!

right surely this is all pants if fruit is free it's free which means if i want to eat 5 bananas in a day i can so what difference does it make if i eat them mushed up with my health extra milk or does the food magic fairy come into play again is it like if you cut things into triangles they become healthy extras again , it's sooo wierd i am going to have a banana smoothy and not syn it out of principal

pmsl ria...you crack me up!!

pmsl - of course you can chop and slice fruit and it stays free - that was just one of my crazy moments - sorry ladies!

I can just imagine an unchopped fruit salad - whole apple, whole banana, whole orange etc hahahahaha :D

pmsl - of course you can chop and slice fruit and it stays free - that was just one of my crazy moments - sorry ladies!

I can just imagine an unchopped fruit salad - whole apple, whole banana, whole orange etc hahahahaha :D

Ha ha, see what you started Angie!!! This is a crazy thread!

Go Ria!! Revolt against the system!! (don't tell us off if you don't lose though!!)

:p

Back