quit smoking and weight loss

princessria

is a pirate arrrgggghhhh
Well haven been around because i lost my father recently to heart disease so as a kind of chain reaction to this i have stopped smoking. I was doing really well with the weight loss but because of the stopping smoking i have put on 5lb even though i haven been eating anymore than usual was wondering if anyone else had tried to do this and if they had any tips.Exercise seems to be working to stop me putting on anymore but am really struggleing not to want to smoke , my dad was young and i know that if i carry on now i will probably get it as he wasn't over weight and i am so thats two things working against me.It has really paniced me into getting healthy even more so than before and changed my reasoning for losing weight , it's now less about looking nice as just looking after myself.

Well done you for taking the first steps to give up. I used to smoke and I think it affected both my appetite and my digestive habits, if you get my drift ;) As you're not snacking on the wrong things, which is often the danger when giving up smoking, I'd suggest you just give it time for your body to get used to not smoking.

I'm sure you will be fine - and you can only get healthier!

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear of your loss Hun.

Well done for giving up smoking. I dont smoke and never tried, but my parents did. I know how hard it is for you to start the journey of giving up, but it will get easier and the health benefits out weigh anything else.

xxx

Thanks v XXX and Leapfrog. I'm not missing it as much as i thought i would to be honest i read alot about what it does i always knew because of the job i do but seeing it first hand gives you a better perspective, i'm working on lowering my cholesterol levels and all the rest it's all been rather enlightening the more i read about it the more i realise the rubbish i have been shoveling into my body it's not good.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing isnt it Huni?!

xx

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, my thoughts are with you and your family.

I packed in last October and put on over a stone! I found that when i would normally smoke, after meals etc, i was occupying myself by having a snack. This was usually a piece of toast, a bowl of olives garlic bread etc. I started eating dessert when ive never been a dessert person before just to fill the void left by packing the cigs in.

I have stopped this now but only by snacking on fruit instead. I went for fiddly fruit that you have to peel or hadstones in so my hands were occupied at the same time.

When I stopped smoking I was told the body starts to absorb food better which is why most people put on weight. I have to admit I snacked which didnt help.
Well done with stopping and good luck with the diet

*hugs* sorry to hear about your father hun. Thats just awful.. but it really is fantastic that your seizing the moment to better your own health.
I quit smoking at the same time as i was doing sw and i found quitting cold turkey made it easier for me, and avoiding people who smoked alot for a while untill i was confident and strong within myself not to cave in 'just for one' LOL

i found drinking really light ribena and diet pepsi was sweet enough to distract my cravings.. but that might just be me. good for you for the exercise aswell.. will do you the world of good.
I expect once your body realises that your not going to smoke anymore itl start loosing regualry again, its just an ajustment xxxx

((Hugs)) Ria, so sorry to hear about losing your dad chick.

Hope you are coping okay. Well done on stopping the cigs, I've never smoked so can't offer any advice on that front but didn't want to read your post and run.

Take care and it's good to see you back on here babe. xxx

I'm sorry for your loss princessria, my condolences to you and your family.

Well done on giving up smoking - I haven't smoked in 30 years so I am not a lot of help from my own experience, but my son in law stopped smoking 3 years ago through using nicotine patches, and he was quite a heavy smoker, he put a little weight on to start with as he seemed to be craving sweet foods all the time, but once his body got used to having less and less nicotene his system gradually got back to normal and his weight stabilised - I have to say that he has never looked back, and he is healthier and fitter than he has been in years.

Good luck to you - I'm sure you will be alright, just think of all the health benefits you are gaining, well done to you. X

I'm also giving up, it's been nearly a month since i stopped, I put on 3lbs the first week i gave up, lost that the second week and on the 3rd put 2.5lbs back on. I think my body is still adjusting to me not smoking but it is really hard.
You said that exercise is helping, perhaps you could sign up for a charity walk/run and donate the money to a charity appropriate to you and your father. the training might take your mind off smoking and the exercise help your weight loss.
Well done for making the decision to give up i know how hard it is.
I am really sorry for the loss of your dad, i cant imagine how you feel but my thoughts are with you and your family.
Big hugs being sent your way xxxxxxx

Thank you all for your nice thoughts XX i am sure it will calm down am just sticking to the diet quite ridgidly hoping that that combats the slowing of my metabolism. I am now trying to combat the cholesterol thing too i had no idea how much damage you do just by being over weight i knew it took it's toll on your limbs but even if your thin and your eating bad stuff it just affects your body massively.

Hi Ria, I am so very sorry about your dad. It is great that you taking positive steps in your own life, however difficult. I am sure your body will adjust to your not smoking. It is true that smoking, cholesterol and being overweight affect your body, but a lot of these effects are reversible. Don't forget that we are always here on this forum for support. With hugs and best wishes, Tracy xx

Back