Quorn and mushrooms - a warning!!

On average I probably have Quorn 4-5 times a week, and though I'm no mushroom lover they inevitably find their way into meals every now and then.

Never had a problem, touch wood.

Perhaps all those years I spent eating total crap non-stop has made my stomach stronger lol

There is an interesting Wikipedia page on Quorn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

It explains how it came about, and the various arguments about it, with links to other information if you are interested in pursuing it.

I find that Quorn gives me terrible indigestion, and I don't like the texture or the taste, so I don't use it. I am fine with any kind of mushrooms.

But - mushrooms are a fungus, Quorn is made from a fungus, but Quorn is not made from mushrooms! The implication on their packaging that it is, is most misleading.

I used to eat a lot of Quorn and never had a problem with it, though I don't now with Extra Easy.

My mum on the other hand, would be very violently sick a couple of hours after eating quorn without fail!

Thanks for this great post. :D
My sister is veggie and eats quorn all the time and has no problems with it, I tried it and it made me violently ill. My sister thought I was making it up as she hadn't had any problems and hadn't heard of it making anyone ill before.
I shall show her all your replies so she can see I'm not mad after all. :p

I should never've read this thread! I eat heaps of mushrooms and Quorn - have done for years with no problems at all - but I'm a terrible hypochondriac so I'm convinced I'll be desperately ill now! Doh! x

This is really useful info. I guess its maybe related to candida?

I have been very bloated and uncomfortable the last few weeks. I have been eating A LOT of mushrooms after getting a few cheap bags of frozen mushrooms, so am wondering if theres a connection. Will definitely experiment.

Really appreciate the info.

This is really useful info. I guess its maybe related to candida?

I have been very bloated and uncomfortable the last few weeks. I have been eating A LOT of mushrooms after getting a few cheap bags of frozen mushrooms, so am wondering if theres a connection. Will definitely experiment.

Really appreciate the info.

Hi Purple Star,

Yes, when I looked up my symtoms online, I found a website about Candida, which listed various foods that included Quorn and mushrooms. It was only then that the penny dropped, and I was able to identify the 'offensive' foods in my diet.

Why don't you try monitoring your food diary, to see if the mushrooms are causing your problems.

I was worried when I read about Candida that I would have to give up all the foods they listed. But luckily giving up Quorn and mushrooms has done the trick for me, and once again I have a happy tummy!

xx

Kevnandju5 - exactly the same thing has happened to me! Changed diet plan for a couple of months and didn't eat any quorn. Ate some yesterday and I felt AWFUL .. had the leftovers today and same again, sat here feeling crap with a banging headache. I used to think I was short or iron when I felt like this and couldn't believe how fab I felt over the past couple of months - little did I know all the quoin products were what was causing it =/

Done some reading on it today and I am never eating it again! It seems that a lot of people can eat it and have no problems, but I must not be one of them! They should have more info on the pack, stupid me always thought it was made naturally ....

This is such an interesting thread, when I did S W many years ago I had some quorn pieces and as soon as I put my knife and fork down after eating my meal I was violently sick, then again about an hr later. Never touched it since, and the same thing happened to my brother in law! But I can eat mushrooms with no problem

Hey guys, in relation to candida, there is an interesting article about it in this weeks that's life magazine in the health section: issue 2, it's definitely worth reading

Back