Quorn foods

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
Doing my Tesco shop and was thinking of getting the Quorn escalopes, Quorn mince and Quorn sausages (3 for £5) to see what they are like, does anyone eat them? Are they nice or am I wasting my time??

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Some of the Quorn products can be pretty high in syns, so I tend to just stick to the syn free ones.

I don't bother with the sausages, not since they changed the recipe and they became 1 syn per sausage - I'd rather have a proper sausage for 0.5 sysn from Morrisons.

I'm not all that fussed about the mince either, find it tastless so I'd rather have the extra lean beef mince from Tesco.

I do tend to use quite a lot of the plain fillets and the chicken style pieces. The fillets are great if I want something quick and easy to go with veg and cous cous, and the chicken style pieces I throw into stir fries, etc, usually with some chorizo to give it an extra bit of flavour. I also occasionally buy the family roasts when they are on offer, along with the peppered grill steaks and lamb grill steaks.

I have had the southern style burgers in the past as well, when mum bought some for me for when I was staying with them... they are 2.5 syns each, but were very nice and I think worth the syns.

I'm veggie so I eat a lot of Quorn to get the nutrients, personally I love all the Quorn products I've tried, I know a lot who say its horrible but as a veggie I know I need it.

Every person I know who tries the mince says once they have it once they used it instead of the usual lamb/beef as they love it. I don't find it tastless at all, I mix it with the usual sauce, passata or chopped toms & its exactly the same as meat!

If they're included in the offer (usually are) I recommend the chicken style pieces. They're delicious in a stir fry, I usually pour a little soy sauce over them.

The best product by far is the swiss style balls (meatballs). In spaghetti bolognaise they're the best! :)

I dont like the Quorn sausages since they changed the recipe and the Quorn, mince has been dire for years, AWFUL, just tasteless, wet, mingy stuff :jelous: I love the chicken pieces though, they go fab in a curry! The fillets were always quite nice although Ive not tried one in a while.

I used to lurrrrrrve the peppered beef slices but they changed the recipe on that an' all :mad: Less pepper now, and they're less salty and less juicy :( I still get them occasionally but I used to go through 3 or 4 packs a week, these days its about once a fortnight :(

Mmmm what else, the burgers are OK if you need something quick. The lamb grills and peppered steaks are quite nice. Dont like the bite things, yeuch. Mmm I think thats it, the other stuff is either too high in syns or doesnt appeal to me.

The pieces and the slices are the only fairly regular things for me these days, the others I only use as a last minute thing to grab outta the freezer when I've got nothing in for whatever reason. Damn you Quorn! :cry:

If you want to try some meatfree products I would go to Asda instead. Their mince is much better than the quorn stuff and the meatballs are amazing (3 syns for a 400g bag containing about 28 meatballs). You can also get Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages which are syns free and taste lovely, way better than the new quorn recipe. Tesco Lincolnshire meatfree sausages are the best of the sausage options, really big and 'meaty'. They used to be syn free but are now 1.5 syns which is a shame but worth it every now and then for something like a casserole where you need the sausage to be quite substantial.

I've used the chicken pieces for a SW sweet & sour, on the menu again this week!

Also have used the mince for a spag bol, best thing was that the kids didn't even realise that they were having it? Hee-hee.

I'd go for more meat-free stuff, but get a bit of mutiny from the kids when they don't have there meat fix!

I bought the escalopes too thinking they would be low in syns - then when I found out I served them to my other half how didn't like them!!
I hate the sausages and mince quite passionately!! Anyone that tells you the mince tastes like the real thing has not eaten minced beef for a VERY long time!! To me it tasted like the contents of a hoover bag.

Saying that I do love the quorn chicken style nuggets at 0.5 syns each. Great warming meal served with chips and beans!

My family like the quorn mince in shepherds pie on a green day (so we can you use our HEXB choice for cheesy potato topping!)
Also used mince for quorn bolognaise
Made a tagine with the quorn pieces

Always find with quorn, that is better to make the day before eating - it seems the longer its left the better it tastes.

BTW - thanks for whoever added about Asda meatfree meatballs - can't wait to try them (and there on offer at Asda at moment)

Anyone who wants the old style quorn sausages try the frozen lidl quorn sausages 99p. They are in orange and white boxes, 6 in a pack and to me they taste like the original syn free recipe, they are not at all slimy like the new ones. I'd be very surprised if they are not free as I'd say it was the same sausage. I need to take a box into my consultant.

To the OP, I love quorn products. The peppered steaks are great, the mince is excellent, quorn roast is great (better than the fillets and easy to pop in the fridge and slice when needed once cooked) and all are syn free. Quorn wafer thin ham is lovely and free. The quorn deli bacon (fridge section in sainsburys) is free and lovely!

I really feel like quorn lets me have the best of both worlds on a green day, I can have a pile of pasta and quorn and still lose weight.

Anyone who wants the old style quorn sausages try the frozen lidl quorn sausages 99p. They are in orange and white boxes, 6 in a pack and to me they taste like the original syn free recipe, they are not at all slimy like the new ones. I'd be very surprised if they are not free as I'd say it was the same sausage. I need to take a box into my consultant.

Sorry but I think the orange and white packaging is new (the whole range has been revamped) so these would not be the old recipe sausages. If in doubt put the nutritional info into the syn calculator, remembering to add the free food allowance at the start.

If you want to try some meatfree products I would go to Asda instead. Their mince is much better than the quorn stuff and the meatballs are amazing (3 syns for a 400g bag containing about 28 meatballs). You can also get Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages which are syns free and taste lovely, way better than the new quorn recipe. Tesco Lincolnshire meatfree sausages are the best of the sausage options, really big and 'meaty'. They used to be syn free but are now 1.5 syns which is a shame but worth it every now and then for something like a casserole where you need the sausage to be quite substantial.

Totally agree with you on the Asda mince, much nicer than the Quorn stuff.

I am a life long veggie and before I met my hubby I never bothered with meat substitutes, but I have to say they've all got a lot better and I use them a fair bit now.

If it looks like this it's just the new packaging like Patchwork says. Not free, sorry, still 1 syn each.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

IDShot_225x225.jpg

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Back