Quorn mince .... Yay or nay??

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by wannabefitatthirty, 8 January 2013.

1. wannabefitatthirty

wannabefitatthirty Well-Known Member

M thinking of trying quorn mince to make a chilli (with pasatta , chilli powder, peppers,mushrooms & kidney beans) but find extra lean mince SO expensive - and only comes in small packs & we're a family of 7 .... So was thinking of trying quorn mince but wondered what it's like?? My partner wouldn't touch it but hoping kids will like it.... And me lol

Opinions please x
  2. Emma07825

Emma07825 Well-Known Member

Do it!!! It's like anything, cook it up with good flavors and it will taste lovely, bit of cheeses...yum. I think you should feed it to your man, with extra cheese and not tell him untill after. Hehe.:)
  3. Emma07825

Emma07825 Well-Known Member

Oooops, I was thinking spaghetti Bol with the cheese!!:)
  4. Starlight

Starlight Well-Known Member

Id recommend it too and Id serve it up and not tell him what it is see if he eats it not knowing what it is ;)
    Its ideal for chilli/bolognese etc
  5. Baby_Cakes

Baby_Cakes Dave's little girl

I find it more brittle than normal minced beef. Although like the others say, if its mixed up it wouldnt make much difference
  6. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Well-Known Member

I love quorn mince, it's definately worth a try, but don't tell OH. I've given it to my MiL & she won't touch 'quorn' & turns her nose up at it all the time, so I made shepherds pie & didn't tell her it was quorn, she ate the lot without a grumble.
  7. EmmaB

EmmaB Well-Known Member

The first time I cooked with quorn my hubby was VERY reluctant to eat it, but he's pretty supportive and as I love spaghetti bolognese and needed a low fat version he tried it. He said he was surprised, it tastes different but not awful like he thought, just a bit of a different texture. Be careful you don't over cook it, easily done, and then it goes a bit tough.
    We nearly always have a bag of quorn mince in the freezer for when I don't have fresh mince and fancy bolognese as you can cook from frozen! Super quick.
    Bet your kids won't notice at all!
    Good luck x
  8. ceebeee

ceebeee Well-Known Member

I cook meals that call for mince using half quorn and half extra lean mince meat. It means I can make a huge batch for lunches, leftovers, etc.

But beware the dreaded quorn farts!
  9. toofatkat

toofatkat Not such a fat kat now :)

I do the same thing. 1/2 quorn mince and half extra lean beef. You can't tell the difference and is obviously cheaper but also better for you

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
  10. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

I don't use quorn (I'm lacto-vegetarian) but I did in the past. I liked it, but when I switched to own brand Tesco (which at the time was made by Tivali) I found it took in flavour much better (plus was cheaper). I don't know who makes it now, but I reckon all the supermarkets own brand veggie mince is fairly similar (perhaps not asda's - it tastes....like something not meant to be eaten). I made some spag bol for my friend, and she didn't know the difference (she's an avid meat eater). I did tell her after, and she tried it out on her partner with the same effect :)
  11. Perpleo

Perpleo Well-Known Member

i bought some quorn mince today with the exact same idea to make a chilli with it lol
  12. Lisa-Lisa

Lisa-Lisa Well-Known Member

I always make whatever it is I'm making with Quorn mince the day before. It tastes so much better because its had time to soak up all the flavours. :)
  13. Perpleo

finally made my quorn mince chilli and loved it, so did my mum =]
  14. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Well-Known Member

Yay, that's good news, it's brill. Iceland do quorn mince & it's really cheap, I've tried it but it made me really bloated, so I'm sticking to Quorn brand next time.
  15. EmmaB

EmmaB Well-Known Member

I cooked dinner Wednesday night for family. Threw it together, half quorn and half low fat beef, left it to simmer for maybe an hour, maybe but longer, my mum was really impressed, asked if I'd had it cooking all day. Clear plates all round, it went down a storm! :) xx
  16. Perpleo

glad yours turned out well :D

my brother wasnt too impressed with mine lol , shouldnt have told him it was quorn mince
  17. Brookesx

Brookesx Well-Known Member

Thought I'd pop in, I have quorn mince all the time throw in a few chillis peppers herbs mushrooms whatever you want and it taste delicious! And free on its own! I usually make loaaaaads of it so I can take it into work, good option! I think my mum also puts tomatoe puree in it as well to give it more of a flavour which is also free! x
  18. kazz43

kazz43 Well-Known Member

i use quorn mince all the time now as i eat a mainly veggie diet, i havent touched meat for about 3 weeks and it doesnt appeal to me, their sliced 'meat' alternatives are nice too and its low fat and high in protein, perfect for weight loss!!
  19. Perpleo

just had some vegetable burgers from iceland soo nice :D
  20. EmmaB

EmmaB Well-Known Member

Where they Iceland brand quorn type or vegetable? Ill have to try x