Quorn

carrick

Does anyone else have adverse reactions to quorn? I used to eat it quite a lot but now I find it gives me awful stomach cramps and looking on the internet it seems im not alone?? :confused:

I have to admit to having felt ill after eating it quite often. I dont really bother with it any more. I like Soya Mince though, thats well nice in a chilli or bolognaise and works just as well as Quorn.

There was a thread about this before, a lot of people seemed to have trouble with it!! Lucky for me I am ok since I would be stuck without it as I HATE meat!

I have to admit to having felt ill after eating it quite often. I dont really bother with it any more. I like Soya Mince though, thats well nice in a chilli or bolognaise and works just as well as Quorn.

Is that the stuff you buy dried?? never used it before.

I eat loads of Quorn and I've never had any reaction from it - fingers crossed!!!

I get tummy cramps everytime I eat it. Usually starts a couple of hours after eating it but is worse the next day. i feel really awful with crampy tummy, and just generally unwell. I've had the worst reaction after eating the quorn meatballs! I don't know why i carry on eating it really....must be stupid :rolleyes:

I can't eat it.

I can eat absolutely anything else at all, with no adverse reactions - I have the digestion of an ostrich!!!

BUT I just can't eat Quorn without getting terrible indigestion.

There was a thread about this before, a lot of people seemed to have trouble with it!! Lucky for me I am ok since I would be stuck without it as I HATE meat!

Can you tell me why it is, if you hate meat, you can eat something like Quorn that is pretending to be meat?

This is a genuine enquiry, not a criticism - I have often wondered this about vegetarians.

I get tummy cramps everytime I eat it. Usually starts a couple of hours after eating it but is worse the next day. i feel really awful with crampy tummy, and just generally unwell. I've had the worst reaction after eating the quorn meatballs! I don't know why i carry on eating it really....must be stupid :rolleyes:

My worst reaction was from the bacon style pieces, I'm wondering if I should try any other style again as I didn't have a reaction to the meatballs??

Yes. You basically just put boiling water on it and it puffs up. Then you drain off the excess and use as ordinary mince. Its ace.

I might try it as I like the Beanfeast stuff and that's soya I think?btw I'm not vegetarian I just like to try other options :)

Can you tell me why it is, if you hate meat, you can eat something like Quorn that is pretending to be meat?

This is a genuine enquiry, not a criticism - I have often wondered this about vegetarians.

I'm gonna jump in here and throw in my tuppence worth...

I was a vegetarian for 14/15 years and I have only in the past year or so started to re-introduce meat to my diet. My reasons for being not eating meat, was that my father cooked some lamb which didn't agree with me, when I was 10. After that, I couldn't actually put the food near my mouth, and I stopped eating meat. I managed fish once in a while, if it was very well disguised... When I was a vegetarian, I was young, and my mum used TVP and Quorn as a way of getting me to take a good level of protein.

As I grew up and started cooking for myself properly, I used quorn for convenience, it comes in them little lumps for stir-fries and stews and stuff, and ground up for mincey dishes. It's ace stuff! I never used the bacon-style things though, but then, I never craved bacon sandwiches. I do now that I eat meat again haha.

Obviously, everyone's different, and everyone has their own reasons for eating x and not y, or whatever, but that's me and my story :)

While I'm on the topic, it used to pee me off when my mates said "Does it taste like meat?" I didn't bloody know, I hadn't had meat for several years :p!

My worst reaction was from the bacon style pieces, I'm wondering if I should try any other style again as I didn't have a reaction to the meatballs??

It might be the fake-flavourings that are in the bacon bits, I can't stand the smell of fake-bacon, to be honest, quorn or otherwise, and those frazzle crisps are the worst, the thought of them alone makes me gag...!
It could be worth trying the mince again, or the pieces, they are usually as unflavoured as you can get. :)

To me, Quorn tastes absolutely nothing like meat!!! Luckily for me lol. I love the taste of quorn, thats why I eat it. I hate the taste of meat, thats why I don't eat it!

I am NOY a veggie, I eat fish. I ate chicken until I read a thread on here about rotisserie chicken and how they inject it with fat and other rubbish - that disgusted me so I haven't touched any chicken since.

In many cases, people choose to become vegetarian, not because they dislike the taste of meat, but for ethical reasons, because they don't like the idea of eating the flesh of what was once a living animal. So, finding something that does taste like meat, but isn't, is a happy medium for them.

OK, that's two reasons, and I understand both of them. Thank you both.

Purple Star, it's a pity you are put off chicken by what they do to rotisserie chicken - I couldn't manage without chicken as a low-fat form of protein, but I always buy free-range and cook it myself.

I've eaten Quorn almost daily for almost 20 years. Can't say I've ever had a bad reaction to it, but I do hear it mooted from time to time.

On the point of eating a food that's 'pretending' to be meat, I often wonder the same about meat-eaters who eat pies, burgers, and fast and processed food in general. Not my place to question them though :-/

Last edited:
I actually find quorn mince easier to digest than real mince, but I'm not keen on the texture and even with oxo and chilli I find the taste abit lacking. Can't do the pieces, it's a texture thing again. One of my friends has tried it twice and was as sick as a dog both times.

Back