Rant about GP's and the NHS!

Chellywelly

Silver Member
Ok so i've never had a rant before on here lol

Basically I was just reading at how someone has started WW which is fantastic, but she also said her GP has been bugging her to get surgery! (shes over 20st but not by that much!) this has made me so furious! I'm sick to death of GP's jumping on the gastric band wagon and basically making people feel that they can never loose weight the healthy and proper way, instead they have to get cut open and remove part of there own stomach, a hugely vital organ, live off mush for months and then slowly go onto tiny arse portions and never be able to eat like a normal person again! it DOESNT SOLVE THE FOOD ISSUES IN THE MIND! ive been on every diet going, i've gone through bulimia, anorexia and basically starving myself to a size 6 and then all the sizes in between i put the weight back on during pregnancy, food fears and weight gain are still all in my mind, ive never got help for it and i never will! why? because you have to be dangerously underweight to be taken seriously with 90% of GP's it infuriates me because as a want-to-be doctor the amount of GP's that have the intelligence, common sense and all the rest of it are so rare it's like trying to find a needle in a very messy and prejudice hay-stack! I've come across sexism, ignorance and utter disrespect (all by male GP's but thats another story all together!) in my own doctors surgery alone, and dont even get me started on the mess of a maternity ward they have in my area! When will they learn that this whole "obesity" epidemic is all a giant load of crap! NOT because alot of people arnt over weight, because they are! its because there not acknowledging the shear amount of weight people loose every year on amazing sites like this and you know what reaction and attention we get from the media? if you havent lost a staggering amount of weight? *pat on the head* well done! now please dont go putting it all back on like we think you will! and doctors ofc think the same! if you put so much on as 3lb these days (god forbid!) your branded as a stranded whale who needs to loose weight because you WILL keel over and die! do you know why i think that? well personally at 11st age 16 and a size 10/12 trousers! i was very fit and did high intensity workouts 6 days a week i was told i was obese on the BMI scale, and was told to loose 2 stone, i did by eating balls all and thinking i was repulsive and hating myself, it was evident i wasnt fat in the slightest, yet a chart designed decades ago put me into the category of someone who is not only over weight but very very "fat", not only that, did they take responsibility for the effect that a bullshit diagnosis of utter incompetence cost me? nope! because even at a size 6 and eating 300 cals a day i was still in the OVER WEIGHT category of the BMI chart at 9st 8lb! i mean WTF!

dont get me wrong BMI is right most of the time! im over weight now i know that! but at the time? no way! and as for "fixing" fat people, they have it so wrong, 90% of gastric band patients put some if not all the weight back on after sergery and greatly increase there risk of everything from cancer to heart attacks and strokes, for gods sake it all stems from something else! it's not because were greedy! or eat for the sake of it, it needs addressing mentally, my relationship with food is shocking, i HATE food but i love food also, i hate the fact it can make me fat if i eat too much of it, i also hate the arguments about food i have with myself inside of my head! a mental problem? of course not! im just a fat ba@#ard right! i cant wait to finally get my PHD so i can at least have a relevant and respected argument in the field of medicine without been dismissed as an uneducated member of the public!

*breathe* rant over! lol :D

Hello :)

The BMI rant is mine too!

So right now I'm not thin. I'm a comfortable size 14, I've got curves and I look 'ok' I'd say I was probably overweight, I'm very active and have muscles but I'm classed as OBESE. Now I don't think I'm obese. To me I think of the word obese and think of very large people. It's not nice being in that category. I've only a few pounds till I'm in the overweight bracket but on my medical notes I am officially an OBESE patient.

Now going back ten years in my late teens I was also this size and it would of destroyed me to be told I'm obese. I can cope with overweight lol, not sure why! For me to get to a healthy BMI I need to lose 2.5 stone. It's going to be a struggle! And to be at the bottom end of it I could lose another 5 stone and still be considered healthy. Believe me I'd look absurd losing another 5 stone. I think my limit is around 11 and if that leaves me with a bmi of 26 overweight then so be it! I think the bmi chart needs be be individual. I'm fitter and much more active than most of my slimmer friends who have shockingly poor diets. It's crazy xx

I totally agree, my BMI atm is 33.7 and im almost a size 14 jeans (size 14 in everything else) and im classed as category 1 obese! i was category 2 a few weeks ago at a size 16! im sick and tired of it and ive always been "obese" im actually too fat to go on a certain type of contraceptive pill! at a size 14/16! i mean seriously wtf! i have a 32 inch waist and 42 inch hips according to hip to waist ratio im perfect and my measurements put me at 24% body fat which is considered ok! but im huge on the BMI im muscly also and build muscle quickly and too easily, its so infuriating that id have to be a size 6/8 to be "healthy" ill be a size 12 at 11 stone and still have a BMI of 30 ¬.¬ and obese! is there anything we can do to actually sort out the BMI thing on our medical records!? im sick of been obese and in normal shop bought clothes that all my mates can wear, for some reason i looked into celeb weights, Kat Slater from eastenders is same height as me! and at 10stone she was a size 16 and classed as over weight which is fair enough, at 10 stone i was a size 10 and "overweight" she was a size 10 at 8stone, i got to 9st 7lb and was a size 6/8 and fit in some size 0 dresses! but i was still only just in the healthy zone in BMI and practically still overweight! is there ANYTHING we can do!? shouldnt there be a different BMI for people who are obviously not overweight or obese according to measurements! cant we go by hip to waist? or body fat percentage? when i get down to a size 12 im actually going to the doctors and demanding they take me off the obese range, and if not im actually going to right a letter to the government its pissing me off that much lol! im a woman on the edge! XD

LOL I know what you mean hun... My BMI is high despite being a ten.
My to accepts I'm active and have a lot of muscle mass

As for contraception I think your gp sounds barmy!!. I've used the mini pill in the past, just take two a day.

It can be frustrating always being put in a category!!

Hugs Xx

ive got a gastric band, yet here i am heavier than before i got it!! its not a quick fix, the problems that come with it are unbelievable....ill be glad to see the back of mine slim and save wins hands down.

BMI charts are SO unreliable because they were designed to give an average indication of a WHOLE country, not an individual person!

I follow this guy called Brad Pilon who has written the book "Eat Stop Eat" which talks about the benefits of intermittent fasting, and he's an ex bodybuilder and he used to work in the supplement industry until he realised what a load of crock it was and went back to college, got a PHD in nutrition and stuff and ended up writing these books.
ANYWAY the point i'm getting to is is that that him and his friends designed this workout system called the Adonis Index and the Venus Indexwhich is based upon getting your body into the proportions that match your 'golden ratio'. Any of you who have read the Da Vinci code know what this is is, but it's basically this number (it's something like 3.423 or something) that equals the perfect ratio of measurement for most living things on the planet (the drawing of the Vitruvian Man is an example of this ratio put into practice regarding the perfect human body). Now my 'golden measurement' is 48.46 inch shoulders and 29.95 inch waist. This is what my goal is as I trust that my body will look good at this proportion, it's a definable end goal and it's no based on my weight on the scale or some BMI chart. Your waist measurement is probs the most important measurement in weight loss because fat around your internal organs is so damn dangerous, so as long as you can get your waist down to a healthy size and a size you want and your body is how you want it to look (because let's be honest, for most of us here, we want to lose weight so we can look better and be more confident) then that's all that matters!

I HATE BMI!!

I'm currently 12st 1 and in the red end of overeight, just came out of 'obese'

Now I'm a bit tubby yes and I want to loose eight yes

but ith BMI if i get to 10 stone 7 I ill still be classed as overweight!!

How the hell is that a healthy attitude?!?

According to the BMI scale, at my height (5'11) and with my stocky build (wide shoulders/hips etc.) then a healthy weight for me would be 10st but that is also the healthy weight for someone who is 5'4

I don't understand how that can really be possible yet so many people seem to treat BMI as the be all and end all.

Wisney - that sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing the info.

Completely agree girls BMI is ancient and out dated love the concept of that theory wisney! Very interesting :) and tbh we should write to the health administration, muscle is a damn heavy thing and BMI is also unhealthy in the sense that you can be fatter than an obese person in the healthy category depending where you carry fat! I bet you ladies a million quid that if we were all evaluated differently the amount of "obese" people would shoot downwards I'm not saying I'm healthy I'm overweight! But obese!? Please I can still touch my toes and wear shop bought clothes! Oh that rhymed lol xx

I got weighed in Boots yesterday and I was 12st10lbs, obese which I kinda guessed lol.. however it told me to be in the "normal" bracket I need to be 6 stone 12lbs! Surely that can't be healthy? I'm5ft 1 so that don't help me but surely 6stone12 can't be right? :/ I was going to aim for 9 stone, but according to the chart thats right at the top of the scale for my BMI in the "normal" range :/

BMI needs a kick up the bum.. I've read reports they're looking more at waist to hip ratio as its more accurate, which to me I'm fine in that.. but will the GPs listen? Probably not as BMI is always correct. When I was pregnant I was told I'd have a large baby as I was obese blah blah blah.. actually he was a tiny 4lb 12oz. ;D

Haha so true hun they get 90% of everything wrong with me I'm sticking to a 10/12 and if they say I need to loose weight in actually speaking to the practise manager who will probz be fatter than me, I did have one nurse who told me to ignore BMI and said I looked fine etc, depends we're u go! BMI = Blatant Mind-boggling Ignorance :D roll on size 12 and almost "over weight" haha and 6st 12lb is ****ing anorexic for anyone! Unless your about 12! Xx

This is all so so true! I'm 5'4'' and when I'm around 11-11 and a half stone I'm in a size 10 top and 12 jeans yet still 'overweight'. When filling in my goal weight on here I looked up what it should be and the high end of healthy was 10st 4 and now part of me feels like I won't be successful until I reach that, which i'll never do and be able to maintain it, and I don't want to either!! My mum who has been skinny all of her life and is often being told she looks gaunt and could do with putting weight on was recently told by her doc that she was verging on obese! She's a size 12-14 and 65 years old. It's hilarious!

Lol i think we should all say 'do one' top bmi. Im a 12/14 now but we are women, we have hips and some of us have huge boobs! Lol

haha too right, imo if you can walk/jog up your stairs to the bathroom without been on the verge of collapsing and espechially if your under a size 16 your no were near obese, and i certainly dont think a size 16 is fat, even an 18 can look fab if you wear the right clothes (or are tall i personally looked like an umpa lumpa! lol) but its totally bonkers i just do my hip-to-waist ratio and think wow it says im "really healthy" same with body fat percentage im ok, but with BMI im boarding on needing my own carer to clean under my rolls! pmsl XD xx

This is all so so true! I'm 5'4'' and when I'm around 11-11 and a half stone I'm in a size 10 top and 12 jeans yet still 'overweight'. When filling in my goal weight on here I looked up what it should be and the high end of healthy was 10st 4 and now part of me feels like I won't be successful until I reach that, which i'll never do and be able to maintain it, and I don't want to either!! My mum who has been skinny all of her life and is often being told she looks gaunt and could do with putting weight on was recently told by her doc that she was verging on obese! She's a size 12-14 and 65 years old. It's hilarious!

completely agree hunny, my mum is a size 12-14 and classed as Obese because shes 12st 4lb which imo isnt that heavy at all, all the women in my side of the family are "well built" and pear shaped, even if you are overweight (as in what you feel personally) apparently BMI can work the other way and i know plenty of people who are deffo way fatter than me and have huge bellys but are "healthy" on the BMI chart! ive got a 32inch waist at a size 16 and thats sopposed to be healthy or pretty much ok! ive always been "obese" its bloody stupid, funniest thing is when i was pregnant my midwife thought theyd put my BMI too high just by looking at me and changed it lol! but i was huge when i was pregnant, at least im not "severly obese" anymore just "obese" i may even be overweight soon! :O omg! lol x

...but she also said her GP has been bugging her to get surgery! (shes over 20st but not by that much!) this has made me so furious! I'm sick to death of GP's jumping on the gastric band wagon and basically making people feel that they can never loose weight the healthy and proper way...

I don't think it's 'GPs' who are on that bandwagon but some of them. I've never heard of patients being encouraged to go an operative route unless it's absolutely last resort. Loads of complications, expensive & as you say - doesn't address the underlying cause.

dont get me wrong BMI is right most of the time!

Hmm, I think that's probably the key part... yes, it's not perfect - but any other suggestions for ways of classifying and giving weight advice to people..? Waist circumference is already also used in some risk stratifications like cardiovascular risk.

I think people do seem to be getting bigger & our perspectives are skewed - people at work (& we're medical!) were surprised when I told them what my BMI had been when I started this - saying I didn't look that big etc. I suppose I dress well etc. but I was carrying way too much extra fat - it wasn't healthy. :(

On the contraceptive pill note - as Rebekah R says, there may be other options like the mini pill. :)

LOL I know what you mean hun... My BMI is high despite being a ten.
My to accepts I'm active and have a lot of muscle mass

As for contraception I think your gp sounds barmy!!. I've used the mini pill in the past, just take two a day.

It can be frustrating always being put in a category!!

Hugs Xx

Were you seriously told to take 2 pills a day? :eek:

Im on the mini pill and I bet Im miles heavier than you and I got it no problem and just one a day

Yes he told me for ... As he put it, larger ladies should take two a day. Assume there is a BMI guideline for them to stick to.

Bear in mind I take anti-epilepsy so have to take two regardless. Not on it anymore but two a day suited me lovely (hoping to go back on it!!)

RebekahR said:
Yes he told me for ... As he put it, larger ladies should take two a day. Assume there is a BMI guideline for them to stick to.

Bear in mind I take anti-epilepsy so have to take two regardless. Not on it anymore but two a day suited me lovely (hoping to go back on it!!)

Oh see I'm worried now. I only got told to take one nothing was mentioned about a second. Wonder if it should have been

Has anyone else been told this??

Last edited:
Back