RANT!!!

I guess we should remember that the sow awards are just an extra incentive, and not an integral part of the plan, or even the image therapy section of the class. There's never going to be a way of measuring the prize which would be fair to everybody, and whilst body percentage could be a better method to make it fairer, I don't doubt that there would be other people who wouldn't want it measured that way.

My friend had a similar situation at a class she used to go to, and so she started a weekly bet with another member who was a similar size- they used to have to buy the biggest loser out of the two of them a pack of hi-fi bars. She said because they weren't friends and only spoke in class that it became friendly rivalry which kept them both on track.

We've this in our group too. It was starting to annoy me. I was thinking could you be out of the running for sotw the week after winning it? I know you shouldn't be penalised for doing well, but we (some of us anyway) are simple creatures! A little extra pat on the back never did any harm! Weight loss is so fickle anyhow, feeling like something is out of your reach can just add to the annoyance.

I was the same! my friend beat to sotw by half a pound 3 or 4 weeks in a row! she was going out for takeaways , drinking and i was being sooo good! I wanted to cry! but then i shook myself and thought it only a magnet and a sticker! what am i getting so upset about? i am loosing weight for me not anybody else and not for a magnet or a sticker! Getting to goal will be my reward! I know we are all competitve but we have to remember that we are all different , we all loose at a different pace! Just be happy and proud that you are loosing weight , as its bloody hardwork! and congratulate your selves! you dont need a bag of old fruit and a tin of beans to feel successful and tell you you are doing well!xxxx

Wow I can't believe how much opinion people actually have about this topic!
And just so I make myself clear, I was having a rant...I am not jealous and I dont think I should "take a step back and look at myself".
The awards are my motivation...that's what I strive for...so I don't think I should be shot down because of that. Everyone has different motivations.
It's nice to see people have a similar view to me and some people who don't let it bother them, we can all learn a lot from each other.

I've read this thread with interest and it seems our class sotw and sotm are done slightly differently to the others. It's never only done by poundage lost, just someone who's done well and is deserving. Sometimes they may have only lost 0.5lb but might have had a few bad weeks so they might win sotw as a pat on the back.

I've also never seen our C give it to someone on their first weeks WI.

Il like the way ours works, doesn't seem to be any hostility and it's nice because anyone with a loss can win it, no matter how small!

I do see your point tho OP, it must be demotivating for the whole group if there's only 1 person that gets sotw because of huge losses!!

Awards are very important to me too. I would love a sotw sticker on my book. I felt annoyed at the bigger awards this week. One woman in our class has won the greatest loser, woman of the year and the couple if the year ( even though her oh does not come to class) it seems like these prizes are almost tailored so that one person will win them all. I had not been going to class anywhere near long enough to have won any of these so it is not sour grapes it just seemed unfair. ( she got sotw and month too!)

Awards are very important to me too. I would love a sotw sticker on my book. I felt annoyed at the bigger awards this week. One woman in our class has won the greatest loser, woman of the year and the couple if the year ( even though her oh does not come to class) it seems like these prizes are almost tailored so that one person will win them all. I had not been going to class anywhere near long enough to have won any of these so it is not sour grapes it just seemed unfair. ( she got sotw and month too!)

Just to clarify, couple of the year, your partner does not have to go to class either to be eligible.
For Woman of the Year, Miss Slinky and Top Target member, these are voted for by the class so there should be no unfairness.

Bambam, you did ask us if you needed to get some perspective ;) some clearly think this is the case, some are in agreement. That's the whole thing with this site, you will get the honest truth from a lot of people!

Oh my god we have this in our group too and I can't stand him. He is very large prob bout 25-30 years old. He lost 5lbs, 7lbs, 6, then more and more. Has been 6 weeks now sotw virtually every week and sotm 2 months running. What group do you go to lol. It's so annoying because he lives with his mum who is not a member but cooks all his food so he don't have to do anything. So frustrating!!!
Jodie x

I don't understand why you say "I can't stand him"?

He is fortunate to have a supportive mother, and maybe we would all like someone to cook our meals.

But I can't see a reason not to like him - unless there is something else of course.

It has been interesting reading this thread. I agree with those of you who say that the whole idea of Slimmer of the Week/Month/Year is a flawed concept. But presumably the SW "powers-that-be" think it is a good idea so we are probably stuck with it.

So there are going to be times when the same person wins quite frequently - some people do lose more than others for various reasons. What are they supposed to do? Stop losing? Stop coming to class? Stop staying after weighing in? Feel guilty?

i understand how u feel, but i do agree that if he's much bigger then he probably needs the encouragement of the sotw etc, to help spur him on.

I am with Circes and Jaylou.

These awards are really meant to be a bit of fun, if people don't think agree then maybe they should be scrapped. It sounds like its more hassle than its worth. I can honestly say it wouldn't bother me in the slightest who wins, I only worry about my own weight, not others.

we had a girl that kept on winning sotw. she wasnt huge (around a size 18 i would say) but she just did extremely well on red days.
she got really embarrassed after a few weeks and would try to sneak out before the c could announce the award. and i think this probably contributed to the reason she left in the end.

i do think it would be a good idea to put in a new rule that you cant win it 2 weeks in a row, just so it isnt dominated by 1 person.

I am competetive, and due to the 'rules' it took me about 40 weeks to get SOTW once.....then i got it 3 weeks out of 4.

I think your time will come and this chap with the huge losses can not continue to lose every week, forever....so keep going and good luck! Be supportive of him too - he has a weight problem he is fighting and doing well, and therefore is at SW for the same reasons as you and your mum. Not just to win a basket of mouldy veg and fruit!

x

I won sotw once and my bag of fruit was fabulous! OH was really proud of me when I bought it home, I felt like I'd won the lottery lol! xx

When I joined my group there was only about 8 of us. After the first week I got SOW time and time again. I kept the sticker but gave away the fruit to others who could do with the help. My weight was coming off slowly so despite the fact I only lost half a pound, I got SOW as I was the only person who had lost two weeks in a row> (perhaps Selwonk that is what you were witnessing because all consultants know who gets it because their PDA tells them )
As more and more people joined and I was down to losing my faithful half pound per fortnight, it took a bout of gastro before I won it again. In most groups everyone has their moments especially if the group is small.

everyone on here has a valid point to make x

Once upon a time, in a land not very far away from where I am (about 25miles away in fact) - I was that guy.

I always won slimmer of the week, (but in the old days before the PDA) my consultant at the time didn't do Slimmer of the Month.

Believe me - it gets embaressing each and every week to be named. Hell I was even embaressed recently when I managed it twice in a row. However it also got rather heated. Once when the local team-developer came in, some of the ladies rounded on her afterwards to complain that it was always the men that got slimmer of the week (I was one of a number of men in succession to join the group) and that it wasn't fair.

This happened a second time too when we had a cover consultant as ours was away for a week on holiday. (and as well as that they had a go at the stand-in about our consultant - and I can't stand that kind of backbiting/bi*ching).

The ultimate straw for me, was the constant comments each week as I won the prize - even though one week, I won it with a 1.5lb weight loss. There was one occassion that I won it, and was prepared to put half the basket into the raffle as a secondary prize - until someone muttered "again" sarcastically. At that point I didn't bother.

I eventually changed groups - partly because of this attitude from the other members (there were other reasons too). My current group didn't have that backbiting atmosphere as my original one, even though myself or another guy generally won SotW. There has only been one occassion that I've received a sarcastic comment in this group and I don't even think I won SotW that week - but due to my bad experiences in my previous group - I almost didn't go to the next weigh-in and had to be talked around to it by my consultant when I texted them to say I wasn't coming - who was less then happy about what had happened to make me feel that way, and even though I didn't mention names - i believe words were had.

It is true that if you have someone in the group who has a lot to loose, that if they're sticking to the plan that they are going to have big weight losses. That's just science/common sense. But they will eventually bottom out and stabilise.

SotW however was designed as a light hearted way to celebrate the person who lost the most weight - maybe there are fairer ways of doing it but the rules are what they are. The emphasise is on "light hearted".

The person getting SotW is going to have weeks with lower losses then usual - and if you strive to do your own best week after week - then when they have those "bad" weeks - those are your turn to potentially win the award.

Aim high and sooner or later you will catch the star. but if winning a basket of fruit is the only reason for someone to go to a group - then i think their priorities are all wrong. Yes - it'd be nice to win a prize and be recognised but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of why we go surely?

I too wonder why this man is hated, and why he is always referred to as being very large. I really feel for him that people feel so strongly about him. People judge us on our size all the time, why do we feel the need to judge someone larger than us? Support is what we all need off each other especially at group.

I have to admit to being a bit startled that this is even an issue. Personally, it doesn't even cross my mind to 'win' sotw or sotm. The only thing that matters to me is that I have a loss on my wi. Any loss. S'all I'm saying.

As someone who has won the greatest Loser and woman of the year in my group (though for a while not slimmer of the month or very often slimmer of the week) those awards have really spurred me on at times such as this week when I had put on a lb and since christmas am not particularly happy with my losses. To get the greatest loser it gave me a real boost for the efforts I have put in over whats about 18 months now and reminded me it is worth it and how far I have come. Obviously some people will never be able to get that award as they would not be able to lose the 8 stone without becoming v.unhealthy so it could be said that this is unfair to a lot of the group but this is why Miss.Slinky was brought in and why we have a male and female soty etc
I guess with awards its not always fair but maybe we can take joy in the ones we do get and inspiration from those we who get the awards we don't get?

Back