RANT!!!

Well, although I completely agree that it is not a competition and we are not in it to win awards and prizes, however, I think the reward system promotes competition. It comes as no surprise if people feel frustrated if they never "win" an award due to the fact they do not shed weight as easily or simply haven't got too much weight to lose.

Well, although I completely agree that it is not a competition and we are not in it to win awards and prizes, however, I think the reward system promotes competition. It comes as no surprise if people feel frustrated if they never "win" an award due to the fact they do not shed weight as easily or simply haven't got too much weight to lose.

Agreed!

We have some girls dropping 5 or 6lbs and a girl who has lost 1st 10lb in 10weeks! but...they're not getting it!

The girl who won it this week had lost 2lbs! I had lost 1.5lbs thats closer *laughs* the people who drop losts of weight quickly, or weekly, are more than likely to put loads on if they have a "bad" week x

I've deliberatly "thrown" the weigh in on several occasions because it IS embarrasing to keep getting SOTW..
it's a constant reminder to me that I am HUGE compared to some of the others that go to group..

I still have to stick to plan to lose weight though and it's only the fact that I'm a bloke ( not my fault ) and have more muscle than the smaller members, and that I was / am bigger ( ok, that ones my fault, no one force fed me pie and chips every day for 2 years :) ) so again have more muscle that makes me a big loser..
I do more exercise than you would by default because I'm carrying more weight..
if you want to compete then try a week with a 100lbs+ rucksac strapped to your back 24hrs a day..... or do more exercise..

I've deliberatly "thrown" the weigh in on several occasions because it IS embarrasing to keep getting SOTW..
it's a constant reminder to me that I am HUGE compared to some of the others that go to group..

I still have to stick to plan to lose weight though and it's only the fact that I'm a bloke ( not my fault ) and have more muscle than the smaller members, and that I was / am bigger ( ok, that ones my fault, no one force fed me pie and chips every day for 2 years :) ) so again have more muscle that makes me a big loser..
I do more exercise than you would by default because I'm carrying more weight..
if you want to compete then try a week with a 100lbs+ rucksac strapped to your back 24hrs a day..... or do more exercise..

Good point ColJack, I think you have totally deserved to win SoTW. I just think it would be fairer all round if it was calculated on weight loss % rather than pounds lost. :)

:) I spent today working with a 14lb backpack on my back! Nice reminder thats what ive lost, but i ache more now! (but thats not what i did)
its like when people tell me how uch their kids weigh etc, and its like wow...ive lost that whole little person!

Do it for YOU not for what you can get from it from SW x

Good point ColJack, I think you have totally deserved to win SoTW. I just think it would be fairer all round if it was calculated on weight loss % rather than pounds lost. :)

so you'd want the london marathon worked out who won based on how much that person usually ran each day so that the guy in the chicken suit running it for charity has as much chance of winning it as the professional runner that does nothing but run all day???

But surely rather you'd rather have won it knowing that it was because you tried the hardest, worked out more, stuck to plan rather than because you are the biggest? Then you wouldn't feel embarrassed because it was a fair competition. Yes the weight coming off should be enough but for some people it's not enough. Could be because it's too slow or because they can't see the improvement so they need the motivation of trying to get sofw. Their feelings of it not being fair are just as valid as those who have won it or who don't care. Personally I couldn't cope with meetings as I don't like the idea of strangers judging my weight loss or my lack of it.

I do win it because I try hard and stick to plan.. if I don't then just as anyone else, I have crappy losses as can be seen since christmas as my heart hasn't really been in it and I've been having extra stuff to what I know would give me a good loss..
Part of the crappy losses is me trying different meals because eating the same thing every day gets boring, but I know that if I stick to what I know works I will have a good loss..

I know that my "crappy weeks" are still better than some of the smaller people, but if I lose 8.5lbs in a week and the next highest loses 2.5, is it then fair if they win SOTW because they are 8st and I'm 28st??

should it also be worked out on height?
someone who is 6ft4 is going to be naturally heavier at a healthy BMI than someone who is 5ft0.. ( I think one of the ladies in out group is about 4ft10 or something ... :) )

if you are 3 inches taller than someone the same weight and lose the same, then they wouldn't win it because they are "smaller" than you so are technically heavier than you ( having a larger BMI )..

Just want to make it clear I didn't mean you personally :D but I think we've all known people who had really good loses even when they totally not followed plan. I'm not sure how it should be worked out to make it truly fair but I think most people who are bigger are likely to lose bigger amounts than the smaller people and I would have thought seeing a nice big number as a loss must help with motivation. But I think we all find something unfair. I watch these diet programmes where they can loss ridiculous amounts quickly by cutting out pints of beer. I don't drink so I find that so annoying! But what can you do :D

I think simmer of the week is fine as it is. I work so hard and am big but have not won simmer of the week.

Am I upset. No. The person who lost loads deserves it.

Am I happy. Yes because slowly I am loosing weight.

so you'd want the london marathon worked out who won based on how much that person usually ran each day so that the guy in the chicken suit running it for charity has as much chance of winning it as the professional runner that does nothing but run all day???

Well I didn't suggest that at all now did I?

The % thing would still mean that the largest person in the class could win SoTW whilst not ruling others with smaller losses out. This is just my opinion obviously, fully respectful of yours and anyone elses here :)

Yeah gotta admit it's better to lose the weight slowly, too fast and your skin hasn't got time to shrink back naturally xx

Hi,

When i first started i won a good few times in a row 1st time made up, 2nd time wow im doing well 3rd time i think somebody else shud get it this week. this happened on a regular basis although im fortunate enough to say they were all supportive at class i did feel i was being unfair to all those at class who try hard n have a gd weight loss. i understand those of us who have a lot to lose will have bigger losses and so i get how those who dont have as much to lose can get frustrated as they are tryin just as hard! i feel that as i av a lot to lose these awards really help you on your way and yes it would be nice for everyone to have the chance of winning it. I also feel going by % loss is good but i felt that losin % quite frustrating like when you lose 10% for your award.....i had alot more wieght to shift than a fair few others and felt like forever to get there and this can feel disheartening.

At the end of the day you should be losing wieght for yourself not for an award. Even though they are motivating and rewarding for your hard work the most motivating reason is that your doing it for you and the best tool willpower!

Good luck on ur journey!

Laura x

I think maybe they could add one more rule into how you can be eligible for SOTW...

I believe as it stands currently you:
  • Can't have been new the previous week;
  • Must have lost or maintained the previous week
Perhaps they could add in another one:
  • You can't have won it the previous week.
That way other people will hae a chance.

we have a lady in our group who has won this for about the last 6 weeks and we all clap but you can see the amount of work she has had to put into it and she admitted last week that she feels pressured to win the SOTW now.

I can't believe this is still running. I'm a bit non-plussed to be honest.

Back