RANT!!!

bambam101

So, I need a little perspective on whether I'm getting worked up over nothing...

There's a guy at our group who is rather...large...he is the biggest person there. By default, bigger people will lose more pounds than people closer to their target weight...that's just life.
In his first week he lost 10lbs, which is amazing and I was really happy for him. But my Mum lost 4lbs that week and therefore, a higher weight percentage than him.
He wins SOtW every week and SOtM for the past 2 months. This is going to continue and he will always win if it is gauged on pounds lost...is it just me or should it be done on percentage weight loss? That seems a lot more fair to me. After all, that is how it's done on Biggest Loser as it puts everyone on a level pegging.
Unfortunately, I am the competitive type and I do strive towards the SOtW awards but I feel they are sort of being (for lack of a better word) "robbed" from everyone in the group.
Do your groups go on % weight loss or pounds as well? I think this should be changed, anyone agree?

I see what your saying but I dunno if it's realistic to do it over percentage as it would take too long for them to work it out.

Unfortunately that's how sotw works. X

But they don't even need to work it out, they have the PDA's with everyone's weight losses on and it calculates how much they've lost in total, and what awards they've earnt (if any)...it wouldn't take much to load new software to calculate it for them...

totally agree with you, based on poundage alone its not "fair" as he will no doubt always have bigger losses etc, but also agree that working out by % (which is fairer) would take far too long to workout, unless they handed out SOW awards the week after,for instance....in another club i went to once my leader run a comp to win a hamper etc, that was based on poundage, which i didnt think was fair at the time either lol.....maybe im as competitive as you ?!?!?!!?

ooooh we posted at same time, yes maybe they could add a programme to work out the % each week....would be fairer, wouldnt it .....im very new to SW so have little experience of what "stuff" they do etc.....but do agree...lol...

If you feel strongly about it, take it up with SW directly.
Just because this man is bigger than your mother doesn't mean that he hasn't worked just as hard as her to lose his weight that week, and isn't just as deserving. And just because he is bigger doesn't necessarily mean that he will always have bigger losses. But to be honest I don't think it is worth getting tied up in knots about.

I agree, there is a girl at my group loses around 4 per week and always gets orbit she is let's just say larger than most , not all mind, but I lost 3lbs and her albs took it gain even thoughshes probably 4 stone heavier :0( the system should be based on % I must agree, maybe that's because I love the bigger loser :0) xxx

Oh my god we have this in our group too and I can't stand him. He is very large prob bout 25-30 years old. He lost 5lbs, 7lbs, 6, then more and more. Has been 6 weeks now sotw virtually every week and sotm 2 months running. What group do you go to lol. It's so annoying because he lives with his mum who is not a member but cooks all his food so he don't have to do anything. So frustrating!!!
Jodie x

If you feel strongly about it, take it up with SW directly.
Just because this man is bigger than your mother doesn't mean that he hasn't worked just as hard as her to lose his weight that week, and isn't just as deserving. And just because he is bigger doesn't necessarily mean that he will always have bigger losses. But to be honest I don't think it is worth getting tied up in knots about.

I was not saying that he doesn't deserve it. I said I was very happy for him. And he will have bigger loses than "smaller" people because that's science. The bigger you are, the more you will lose. Unless of course they don't try one week :)

But if this man is so big, then he has a lot of weight to lose - so he may need the motivation of winning SOTW to spur him on. I also suspect that a lot of people are motivated by competition - they see a big loss and think "next time I'll aim to beat that!"

I understand your irritation, but someone else winning SOTW doesn't take anything away from your own (and your mum's) successes.

I can understand the frustration but it's not the biggest loser. We haven't joined to be in competition with one another its to loose weight for ourselves. Slimmer of the week is a lovely prize but it's not the stickers that I'm aiming to have on my book, it's half stone and the stone ones.

Well said! xxx

Is he winning the hamper every week??

If it were me winning every week I would be a bit embarrassed and would offer the hamper to the 2nd biggest loser if I'd won it more than twice in a row but I guess that's up to him to do that, unless you ask the consultant if she could maybe bring in a rule due to him winning it every week, after all it's an incentive to lose weight and her class will be losing a little motivation if they know they've got no chance of winning!

if it's just stickers then I can't see the halm in him winning them every week...

I can understand the frustration but it's not the biggest loser. We haven't joined to be in competition with one another its to loose weight for ourselves. Slimmer of the week is a lovely prize but it's not the stickers that I'm aiming to have on my book, it's half stone and the stone ones.

Here Here!

I don't bother too much. It is what it is. We are all there to lose weight, no matter how much or how little it is and it really doesn't matter a jot to me.

Eventually it will slow down, he'll miss a week or have a bad week or something and others will get a chance. He won't always be the biggest person.

I really wouldn't get wound up - if that's all you've got in life to fret about then you are lucky ;) Good luck and go for the more meaningful awards!

I think everyones motivation here is different...some of us are motivated by that new superdry coat hanging up in the wardrobe :) and others are more competitive and want awards to recognise their hard work. I don't think we should be criticising someone for their motivation, we all need something!

It does sound pretty frustrating, I'm not sure much can be done about it unless you start a mini competition, maybe on here or with other members of your group? And try to win that! x x

wow what jealousy really your getting that wound up you seriously need to take a step back and LOOK at yourselves

Wow, I hope I never need a rant soon :p

So, I need a little perspective on whether I'm getting worked up over nothing...

As per the original post, bambam did asked if she was getting worked up over nothing - some of us clearly think she is and some don't. I don't think anyone is slating at all, I personally think a little perspective is needed. No offence meant but, honestly, does it really matter?

I doubt anything will change with the rules, it has been like this for years. As Circes suggested, an email to SW if you feel really strongly.

The sticking the tongue out at the end of my post was exactly that...it's tongue in cheek. SOOO SERIOUS....lol :D

When you look in the mirror and see the weight coming off what do you say to yourself? Probably something like "wow what an achievement" not "bet that bloke who won SOW looks better than me" Try to forget the competition with anyone including yourself. Even % loss isn't an indication how well you are doing. There will be people who have only 8% of their weight to lose but to them that weight loss is important. remeber why you joined SW in the first place. I'm sure it wasn't to win a basket of old fruit lol x

Back