Re-training of the mind

PennyJane

One of the things that worries me a lot is the fact that I think of when I finish this diet and I am aware of my thought pattern: Oooh, I'll be able to have my weekends as they were... - it's this thinking which keeps popping up rather randomly. I know that it's not right. Should I finish this diet and 'get back in' to the way of life that I had before then my deepest fear, and thus, inevitably I'll pile all those pounds back on again.

Does anyone else get these thoughts? Does the maintenance system work so that you eventually recode your brain's thinking? Does the CDc advise you about these very things?? :gen126:

Funny uv mentioned this...Im on day 3 myself and last night i was thinkin of the exactly same thing and i am so concerned about life after CD...once ive achieved my goals. Will i have to watch what i eat and count calories for the rest of my life?? Will i ever be able to have chips, choc, pizza etc...
I surely dont wanna gain what i loose and be back to square one again...being fat and depressed.
I know moderation is the key, but i fear i wont be able to draw a line and know when to stop. Maybe il join the gym and religiously do 4-5 sessions a wk....or start walking everyday with my 21 month old...i dont know, but yes ur right it is a huge concern and im scared whether il be able to re-programme myself.

Well a friend of mine who has done the diet, said to me that she's realised that thin people are thin because they eat only when they're hungry rather than eating out of routine, boredom, or stress. Perhaps, I am thinking, the fact that this diet takes food away in the way it does, you have no choice but to put yourself in 'that zone'. While in the zone we are pushed into thinking of other ways of thinking and occupying our minds. Perhaps there is a forum for those who have lost and so to write up how things are going, and also to go for support should you feel the need to turn to food???

I've talked a lot about the head stuff over the years, but not on the 100% forum as there's usually a mention of non-CD food.

You might like to do a search when you feel ready :)

I too am worried about maintaining after CD. My plan is to stick to around 1200-1500 throughout the week and do what i like at the weekend (within moderation of course!) but i suppose this is easier said than done! I was also looking into the Paul McKenna "I Can Make You Thin" way of thinking and it really does make a lot of sense...eat only when you're hungry, eat slowly and conciously etc...I really am terrified of putting all that weight back on again!

I'm still doing SS so i suppose i may feel differently when i start moving up the plans. I dont want to lose my SS safety net but i know i can't stay on it forever!

Ive noticed over the last 9/10 weeks of this diet that my attitude to food has really changed. I dont know if it is jealousy or bitterness, or perhaps I really have changed the way i view food, but I look at people eating unhealthily with disgust. My mum says Ive become quite annoying with my food obsession actually! She is obese and wants to lose weight - then shes goes and buys bags of really unhealthy food which I dont understand. Who knows perhaps when I can properly eat again this will change, but for now all I want to do is eat fruit and veg and meat and not go anywhere near bad meals!

i have only been on ss a week but i have been thinking about after, im going to stick to atkins type meals meat veg fruit and lay off the processed stuff cos thats what makes me fat. when i have lost the weight i will know i can live without these things and really dont need them x

SS was fantastic for me to give me some space, but it didn't really come together until I got to practice what I learnt. It's the good practice that leads to success, rather than the avoidance. SS cleared my head to read up and learn about how I could practice it when the time came.

The more I got stuck into maintenance, the more I realised that it wasn't about the food at all.

It's like the analogy I use on umpteen other threads. I throw myself against a wall...damn that wall. What if I throw myself against a softer wall..that should be good...less damage and all that.

Or maybe I'll move the wall out of the way and put a plaster on my wounds to make them better. Stoopid wall.

But the time comes when I keep coming across various walls. They are all over the place, and I need to confront them whenever I go through a day.

then I had this lightbulb moment. What if the wall wasn't stoopid. What if I just stopped throwing myself against it and treat it with respect. After all, other people manage to walk past walls. Even touch them, build new ones. They don't feel the need to throw themselves against it.

The wall isn't the problem. Food isn't the problem. There are no bad walls, and good walls...they are just walls. Same with food.

Brilliant analogy KD :) I have the opposite issue with coming of CD, I am now in week 3 and finding it mostly really easy. I love feeling the weight coming off :)

What worries me is that I'm scared of putting the weight back on once I go up the plans which makes me afraid to eat again - that worries me slightly because I don't want to get into being scared to eat. That's not good or healthy. Not sure what the answer is really.

This is my second time of doing CD and the first time I found SS really easy but didnt do the maintaince from July until December my weight flucuated by 4lb no more and no less. I felt really in control of food but then I went on holiday then x mas came and I just lost control. I am back on SS now and hoping that once I achieve my goal maintaince will help my losing the control again. I just hope it works..... I understand the worry. I think evryone is worried with you xx

What worries me is that I'm scared of putting the weight back on once I go up the plans which makes me afraid to eat again - that worries me slightly because I don't want to get into being scared to eat. That's not good or healthy. Not sure what the answer is really.

Don't be scared. That's the answer to that one :D There is no way that you will put on fat going up the plans. The plans are really important from a physiological point of view (restores metabolism, replaces glycogen and water), but has massive psychological benefits. It's like having someone to hold your hand once the wall is brought closer. Then after a few weeks, you are on your own; in the next step. There's advice on the forums if you need :)

I felt really in control of food but then I went on holiday then x mas came and I just lost control.

This usually happens if you've missed a step ;) I'm not saying this happened to you, but it many cases, going on holiday, having Xmas etc seems a perfect excuse to start chucking ourselves against the wall again....because we've been so good and deserve to, and because we feel 'healed'.

Or maybe because we've treated maintenance like a diet, and who diets over holiday and Xmas?

I'm not on a 'diet'. There is nothing to come off or go back onto, whether it's holidays, xmas whatever. Hope that doesn't sound smug. Been there, done that, worn various sizes of t-shirts, but now I've gone for the change of mindset way and it works :cool:

Thanks KD, that really helps. I think I am more excited about the maintaince and being in control I think that the result now of SS.

Thanks KD, as usual you are a star :)

Thanks KD. What do you suggest we search for on the other threads you've posted on this subject? I find it a bit baffling and need more clarification.

Thanks again, really glad you are there/here?

I've talked a lot about the head stuff over the years, but not on the 100% forum as there's usually a mention of non-CD food.

You might like to do a search when you feel ready :)

Indeed you have KD. :D And I for one have spent an awful lot of time just lately reading posts you've made. I highly recommend everyone reading this thread does the same!! There's some fantastic food for thought (LOL, feed your mind, not your body!!).

There are a couple of other places here at MiniMins I recommend you have a browse through too, in order to do the headwork.

First off: Bring your Head Inside and your Body will Follow - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

I didn't even know this section of the forum existed until quite recently. There's some great stuff here.

Secondly, be reassured that everyone who gets to the maintenance stage is just as scared about putting all the weight back on as you are! Which is why I suggest you read some of the posts here in the 'Maintenance' forum CD Maintenance - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

All the inspiration you could ever need! :D

Happy reading...

Thanks KD. What do you suggest we search for on the other threads you've posted on this subject?

Indeed you have KD. :D And I for one have spent an awful lot of time just lately reading posts you've made.

Teehee Lily. I have a stalker

Right Bess. I'm afraid my messages about the stuff are all over the place. Usually gatecrashing people's diaries :D

But there's loads of others. Try these ones for starters, or search Addictive Desire.

Food addiction

And

My maintenance questions with my own answers

Thanks all and particularly to KD. Great analogy! I once asked someone, 'how is it you do so well in life?' he replied to me, 'Penny, I go with the flow of all the other traffic, not in the other direction!'

Aha!

Can someone please tell me how to get my picture up on my profile??

Thanx

Teehee Lily. I have a stalker

I know... :eek: It did occur to me after I'd posted that that's exactly how it sounded, whoops.

I just wanted to get across how helpful I'd found it to read your posts. You're an inspiration to someone like me who's been on more diets than you can shake a stick at. :sigh:

I promise to stay more than 300 yards away from you from now on... :D

I promise to stay more than 300 yards away from you from now on... :D

Oh no! I love stalkers. :clap: Stops me feeling lonely.

I had a real life stalker when I was in my late teens, but the police got involved and they made him go away :cry::break_diet:

Back