Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Reaching out

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gaminesteak, 23 September 2011 Social URL.

1. gaminesteak

gaminesteak Member

Start Weight:
    10st3lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(4.2%)
    Diet:
    Just general calorie counting ;)
    Hi there! Gosh, this is the first newbie post I've written in years... I feel old!

Let's cut to the chase; I'm a woman who has struggled with her weight for almost 20 years and as I'm sure you're all only too aware, it's ruddy miserable. :(

At the beginning of 2011 I decided that this WOULD be the year that I finally lost the weight and began to add more exercise into my life, as well as a more considdered, healthier diet.

I did have some success. I lost almost 20 lbs. Friends and family started to notice that I was slimming down. Then it happened - I hit the dreaded plateau.

I have not lost anything significant since the beginning of July. What's worse is that I've spent the past 3 days doing what I always do when I get disheartened - binge eating like rationing is about to come back in style. :eek:

I've ran out of ideas about how to get back into the saddle and as quite a shy person, sharing these things with other people is not exactly natural for me. But y'all seem so nice and I think reading some posts from people who have gone through situations like mine does help.

So, all of that was a rather overlong way of saying... hi, I'm new here, pleased to meet you! :) I hope we can cheer each other along on our way!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. babypat

babypat Gold Member

hi welcome and good luck

4. phonicshunny

phonicshunny Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st7lb
    Current Weight:
    9st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st5lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(31.75%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    first a huge welcome on joining the forum, Dont get dis hearted because you have hit a plateau I have been been there plenty of times before and hope not to go back there again.
    Take 1 day at a time and if you relax a bit about your weight loss it might come off easier, Once i relaxed a bit the weight come off, i too went through a plateau of about 4 weeks of loosing nothing or half a pound :(
    Good luck with everything and your weight loss journey :cool:

5. gaminesteak

gaminesteak Member

Start Weight:
    10st3lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(4.2%)
    Diet:
    Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement. :) I'm feeling a bit more positive now, tomorrow moring I think I'll start a diary here. Seems a good idea!

6. Snakes and ladders

Snakes and ladders Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(17.65%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie counting, exercise
    Hi gaminesteak,

I know how you feel! I also hit a plateau and stayed there for months - but then all of a sudden, the scales started moving again. I'm sure the same will happen for you. Things that helped me overcome my plateau:

- Eating MUCH more protein, including whey shakes and protein bars for on the go,
    - Eating more regularly (i.e. small amounts every 2 hours, especially a snack with protein),
    - Switching to whole grains instead of white bread/pasta/rice,
    - Controlling portion sizes,
    - Building some muscle by doing squats/lunges/press-ups/sit-ups (muscle burns fat while you are asleep! Yay muscle!)
    - Doing some interval training instead of regular low-intensity cardio workout.
    - Going on minimins!

How do you count your calories, by the way? I am completely addicted to myfitnesspal.

I hope you don't mind if I follow your diary - I love reading other people's stories! :)

7. gaminesteak

gaminesteak Member

Start Weight:
    10st3lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(4.2%)
    Diet:
    Hi S&L - for calorie counting, I'm just trying to be more mindful of what I'm eating for the moment. You know how people say that you never forget how to ride a bike but in actuality, if you haven't ridden in 10 years you're a bit shakey to start with? The front wheel does that weird wobbly thing? That's me at the moment. :) I'm trying to take things slowly because I have a tendancy to get a bit neurotic about what goes in my mouth, and when that happens sometimes I fall off the bike completely (i.e. go on a binge!) I will have a look at fitness pal though, you've piqued my interest! :)

Please feel free to follow my blog, I like reading other people's stories too!

8. Snakes and ladders

Snakes and ladders Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(17.65%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Calorie counting, exercise
    I certainly know what you mean, both about the bike and the neurosis!!! Good luck :) x

9. nicholahall

nicholahall Full Member

Welcome. It's a daunting task. Sometimes it overwhelmes me but I don't let the bad days take over. I write them off and start the next day new.

10. Aymz

Aymz Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.16%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Welcome!!!!!

11. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    Hi and welcome. You have done so well. Just try and get back on the wagon. You won't regret it.

Irene xx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.