Reaction to bars...

nessie

Loooooves MiniMins
Hey I've just realised that I've been having a reaction to the bars, to start with, a few months ago, it was just the bad wind that you get but recently I've obviously become more sensitive to them as I get really bad cramps, much worse than period cramps might I add, really bad wind I'm sorry to say lol and IBS. It took me a wee while to realise what it was but it's the maltitol thats in the bars that can have that effect, not for everyone though mind.

I thought I'd share that incase anyone else was having the same problem and didn't know what it was, anyway I've stopped eating them and I'm much better, I realised it when it happened about 30 mins to an hour after having one so was obviously getting worse.

I can't eat the bars they make my stomach gurggly and the wind.... well don't even go there..... keeps OH warm at night so he says!!!! If I do have a bar it's in the house at night when no visitors are expected....lol!!!:eek:

Wow Nessie I tried the bars last week and they gave me such stomach cramps and wind that i decided not to have them again. It was too painful - they do taste nice though so it's a shame.
P.s happy birthday for tomorrow it's mine too!

I don't seem to have a reaction to the bars, but I do chop them up into little squares and eat them slowly over an hour or so (in front of the telly, pretending I'm eating a block of chocolate..)

I wonder if eating them slowly might stop the windy/cramps prob?

Dee x

Hey Deejay, anh I usually cut my bars up, makes no difference unfortunately cos they are yummy lol. Happy birthday to you too JakkiG :) It's also my dads birthday lol.

Hi Nessie,

Never heard of maltitol and have just looked it up and I can see now why the bars don't really agree with me, even though I love them.

Maltitol - The Problems With Maltitol

:thankyou:

Love Mini xxx

Hey Mini, I'm so glad this has helped you, I would have kept on eating the bars and having the probs if I hadn't realised myself :) I was worried that the diet had made me more intolerant to wheat etc so I'm glad it's not that lol.

Hey Mini, I'm so glad this has helped you, I would have kept on eating the bars and having the probs if I hadn't realised myself :) I was worried that the diet had made me more intolerant to wheat etc so I'm glad it's not that lol.

Hi Nessie,

Over time I have come to the conclusion that the bars were causing me problems but was not sure exactly why...I can see now that it is the maltitol in the bars which was triggering my sugar cravings.

Of course husband blamed the bars ages ago, but I did not want to listen to him
candy.gif

Never heard of maltitol so it was not even on my radar...is now:)

Love Mii xxx

Hi, A lot of low sugar or low carb products are like that. In really tiny tiny print they say 'may cause a laxative effect if eaten in excessive quantities'. Mmmm, I ate 10 low sugar jelly beans and it was a good thing I was at home and near a bathroom. I've never had a laxative that had this effect, at the risk of tmi, closest thing ever was a tummy upset in Mexico - you get the idea. :)

I thought it was just me. when my CDC said i could start on the bars i had one of each and only had 1/2 per evening. after which i would have the most horrendous IBS it was awful and embarrasing. i only had them for a week and i am now only sticking to the peanut and cranberry crunch. i seem to be ok with these.:rolleyes:

If any of us in this house has any low suger sweets it has an explosive laxative effect. When my friend did atkins she took away the total content of malitol from the carb count to get the 'true' carb reading.

Thanks for that info nessie. I can only manage nibbles of the bars and not more than half a one in 24 hours.

Back