really embarrassing...but need some advice

Mrs.S

Ok... So I started dieting on 31/12/2014 (again) and so far have lost 13lbs, which isn't bad.

I'd like to add some exercising, too, but am not sure what is good.

I've got a lot to lose...about 9 stone. I've got problems with my knees also.

A while ago I've downloaded the Couch to 5K App on my mobile and wanted to start that, but I got discouraged very quickly when I realised I am even too unfit for that.

Therefore I am looking for some gentle exercise that I can increase over time and where my weight is not a problem. I go swimming every now and then, but that is not a regular option, as it's too expensive and there is no swimming pool really near to where I live.

I would be grateful for any advice... I thought about joining a gym and getting help from a personal trainer, but I am too embarrassed... especially because from my experience not a lot of overweight people go to gyms, so there are normally only a lot of fit people there, which doesn't help. There should be a gym for fat people only! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Sonja

hi sonja,

you shouldn't feel embarrassed about trying to get help.

Your weight loss so far is fantastic and you're making good progress towards your goal.

I know what you mean about couch to 5k. ..I simply cannot run no matter how hard I try!

I tend to go for fast walks. .. Either on a treadmill at the gym or out and about. .. If I'm out I'll use gps on my phone to track distance and speed.

As for the gym if you do decide to go forget about everyone else in there, you're doing it for you not them. ..I felt self conscious when I first joined but soon realised that no one was paying attention to me.

There are people of all shapes and sizes and fitness levels at my gym and I've never felt judged, judged anyone, or noticed anyone else being judged.

If you did decide to join a gym you would get support with your training.

If you arent ready for that yet I would recommend looking on you tube for exercise videos. ... You'll find yoga, walking, anything you fancy on there and its free :)

good luck with your diet and fitness whichever way you decide to go with it x

Hello Sonja! You should not feel embarrassed to go to the gym! But i have to admit I also do not want to go to the gym because I am embarrassed of my body and i am very weak and ....etc(((( i understand you so well! I started from simple things: walking, riding bicycle, fitness at home (i am using simple exercises from the internet and dumbbells)

Thank you both for your replies.

When I did the first week of the couch to 5K I felt ashamed that I couldn't even run for 1 minute... I mean 60 seconds...that's really not long, but I just couldn't do it...

I will have a look on Youtube. I think I would like to try Yoga to become a bot more flexible...also a bit of cardio training, maybe there is something I can do at home to start with until I feel a bit more comfortable being seen by others...

I hate that I let it get that far. I used to love sports...

I think that the 5k program can be a bit misleading as it's not true to say that anyone can do it.

anything that you do will be a bonus though, even if it's just a walk. .... It's all better than just sitting doing nothing. .... It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you get moving x

Walking helped me a lot, I have ramped the exercise up now and am going to the gym however you need to bear severe things in mind.

You can wear what you like in the Gym so long as you are decently covered up (some Gyms get a little uncomfortable with crop-tops) so you could wear a loose-fitting T-shirt and jogging bottoms.

Exercises like the recumbant bike can help to minimise stress on your knee joints as well as swimming as you have already identified.
It may be worth you looking into something like aquafit (also known as aqua aerobics) as it can help plus you will burn a lot of calories.
With the cost of swimming, it is expensive to go to the gym and pay for single swimming sessions, especially if you go multiple times per week. Have you considered getting a membership to a Gym which has an attached swimming pool? It can be worth looking into and can be a lot cheaper depending on the time you go.

C25 can be very hard to start with I do like running but I'm not very good at it took me about 3 months to finish week 1. Still 2 years down the line with lots of rest and bad knees. Now I can run 8 mins still cant believe it but very happy and the toning is great. Maybe one day I will run for 30 mins cant wait for that but in no rush.

Swimming can be an awesome, low impact exercise that allows you to control the intensity of each session. This can be a great resource to implement in your workout system as it can be effective as a trim down method equally as much as a recovery method after a run or other workout.

Hi

I would definitely recommend c25k as it really does work. Just keep repeating week one until you are happy to move on even if you just power walk the run sections and build it up. It isn't easy but stick at it - believe me I've been there!

Also so please don't worry about the gym. Everybody is too busy /tired to worry about others! Try classes like legs bums & tums, aqua aerobics, Pilates etc to get started and into routine.

Good luck

Hi

Walk walk and walk some more when you feel up to it add a little jog.....on my weight loss journey i wanted to start running and was shocked how unfit i was but i just chose a short route and started walking it then added a little jog and slowly very slowly built it up and soon found running easier i also have knee problems so just took it easy and built up slowly when i started could barely run 2 steps without collapsing and i ran a marathon last year..........small steps small goals good luck

Bit late on this post but thought I'd reply. My brother lost a lot of weight, he was over 20stone, he doesn't know how much but after 2 months of dieting he was 20s. He was very unfit and started by doing more in the house, like he left the remote at the other side of the room, he made himself walk to work. Work for 5mins away but after the walk he was hot and clustered. Then he started tracking steps. He'd set a target and increase it by 300 steps a week. Then once he was about 18 stone he joined the gym and started doing cycling and low impact exercises. Last year he did the London Marathon.

So nothing should ever stop anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

You could always ask your gp if there are any exercise referral programmes in your area.
I am just about to start a course to be a personal trainer and I know there are specific qualifications for both obesity exercise programmes and medical referrals - even 1 session with a pt to get an exercise programme could be well worth it.

And don't worry about being embarrassed in the gym you might be surprised by the number of people who will admire you for giving it a go!

As mentioned earlier walk, walk, & walk again. That's how I started and i've never looked back.

Try to walk at a speed that makes you out of breath when you talk and makes you feel hot.

Look at 10,000 step exercise programmes on the internet. 10,000 steps is a magic number (approx 5 miles)

Then buy yourself a cheap pedometer from a sports shop to count the steps.

A sedentary person takes approx 2000 - 3000 steps a day. so set your initial target at 5000 steps then gradually build it up over the following weeks.

Wearing a pedometer has a psychological effect on you. for example you stop taking shortcuts, you get off the bus a stop early,
you take the stairs instead of the lift. Its amazing how soon you can build your step count up.

The most steps i have done in one day was over 16000. That was my daughters University open day where we were walking about for approx 6/7 hours.

I couldn't believe the pedometer reading when i got home.

Last edited:
My other half does loads of walking and used "map my hike" app on his phone instead of a pedometer. It catalogues the walks he has done with timing and lets him know if he has a personal best x

Back