Really need help to get through this plateau

gleggers

I started SW for the first time exactly 1 year ago and have lost a stone. I am 7lb away from target but have just been totally stuck at this weight (going slightly up and down by a pound) since last November. I have tried everything including:
having hardly any syns
Having all 15 every day
Saving syns up for the weekend
1/3 superfree with each meal
2/3 superfree with each meal (without extra HEs)
Snacking on veg only
Calorie counting - this shifted me 3lb but I was starving do couldn't sustain it for longer than a week
5:2 fasting - this also shifted me 2lb but I couldn't sustain it

I always have my HEs (measured) and count and write down my syns. If I have a week where I gain then just by being 100% in plan the following week results in a loss but then the following week I never get a further loss.

Has anyone got any ideas as I can't carry on like this. I love SW and am confident that it is the long term eating plan for me as I have proven that I can maintain on it but I have just lost faith in it as a weight loss plan and can't afford to keep paying.

Have you spoken to your consultant? That's what you're paying for I think, if you need support getting past this plateau you should probably have a very frank conversation with her/him outlining the steps you've taken above.

Personally, I plateaued when I was around 7-10 lbs from target too. I wasn't 100% on plan every week if I'm honest, but there were also weeks where I was and I was seeing minimal changes on the scales.

The things that helped me were;

1. Starting to run - this helped me develop a love for exercise. I now regularly run, do spin, pilates, boxing etc. I think this helps you eat better too as you don't want to fill your body with crap as you can feel it when exercising. It helped my body shape change and I was still getting smaller even when I didn't lose weight. It also has undoubtedly sped up my metabolism.

2. Generally eating better - I hate the term "clean" but I tried to cut out as many of the processed things as possible. I only have rice/pasta/bread occasionally and always only wholemeal when I do. I tried being more adventurous with veg, tried new cuts of meat, ate less things like baked beans, mugshots, pasta'n'sauces... and switched healthy extras on the odd day to things like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, dried fruits etc.

3. Doing 5:2 - I know this is a controversial one but this definitely helped me. It also allowed me not to entirely beat myself up... I have a busy social life and have always tried to make good choices but sometimes having 50 syns on one night makes you feel guilty! It allowed me to appreciate the nutritional values of different foods and I got more creative with the foods that I ate on fast days which definitely spilled over to SW.

I hope you stick with it and get past the plateau - it will be worth it in the end. Hope you find something that works xx

Thanks for the advice. I haven't spoken directly to my consultant - she has heard me moan week after week in group and has suggested things like sas and for and against list which have helped me to refocus a bit but not got me out if the plateau. Subsequent to my post I have arranged to speak to her after group tonight so I'm hoping she will come up with a real plan. She mentioned Fast forward a few weeks ago so I think I might give that a go as I'm getting to the stage where I'd try anything.

With regard to the things you've mentioned I have always exercised - generally running a couple of times a week and the times over the year where I have consistently done this I have seen better losses. Recently though even this hasn't helped - maybe I need to do more exercise?

I've never cut out the processed stuff so aubergine this may help.

It's just so frustrating and although I don't want to give up and be at risk of putting the weight back on I can't keep weighing in week in and week out indefinitely.

People in group are suggesting that maybe my body has found its natural weight but I just can't accept that as before children I weighed about 12lb lighter and although I realise that my body has changed since then that's still a lot lower. Also I am on the borderline of two dress sizes and I'd love to be firmly in the lower one.

Which plan are you doing? Is it EE? Have you tried Red or Green days? Some people have better losses with them or by mixing plans.

If all else is failing you need to speak directly to your consultant, this is what you are paying for (help, guidance, support). I thought Fast Forward may come up and if nothing else is working then you should give it a try, but it's notoriously difficult to stick to. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :)

I also struggled to get the last few lbs on & also heard the 'you're body has reached it's ideal weight' but I refused to listen to them and I did get to my target weight eventually, as you will do.

Which plan are you doing? Is it EE? Have you tried Red or Green days? Some people have better losses with them or by mixing plans. If all else is failing you need to speak directly to your consultant, this is what you are paying for (help, guidance, support). I thought Fast Forward may come up and if nothing else is working then you should give it a try, but it's notoriously difficult to stick to. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :)
I do mainly EE with the odd red or green day but I have tried a week of red days but that didn't seem to work. I had a good chat with my consultant and she thinks I've tried lots of different things but only for a week and maybe I should try something different but for longer than this. The problem is I find doing any variation on food optimising very difficult for longer than a week if I don't see any loss at all. Anyway, we've agreed that I will food optimise this week, as I've already shopped for the week then next week I will do fast forward - to be planned with her this week. I've had a sneak preview tho and it does look mega hard but I'm willing to try it for a week if it breaks me through this wall I have hit

Back