REALLY needing inspirational advice?

Army-wife

Hi all. Back in 2009 i tried the CD, on the first day i completely failed. I couldn't do it. After that i tried two or three more times, and on the first day, again.. failed! Since then i have gained nearly 4 stone more. I am absolutely determind to lose this weight. I can't walk very far without feeling like i am about to pass out through pain and tiredness. I am only 20 years old, and i have the most wonderful husband and 3 year old son, but i can't do anything with them because of my weight. I am so scared i won't be able to do it this time, as absolutely determind i am. I am currently 20 stone 9lbs and 5ft 8in tall. I would do anything to lose all this weight. Me and my husband would love another baby, but i have far too much weight on me to healthly concieve at the moment, which is heartbreaking. I really need to lose this weight. I really need inspirational advice. What do you wish someone had told you before starting the CD? I remember when i first started, i wasn't massively keen on the taste of the shakes.. but like i said, i am extremely determind. Thank you :)

Firstly, don't aim too high. Think that each stone you loose will take a month, so 6 months = 6 stone. Think of the shakes as a healthy nutritious drink to help your body recover from the extra strains of being overweight.

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. I was bigger than you, 21 stone 4lb! My husband and me wanted a family, but with PCOS and my obesity it was all against me. I started CD and lost over 8 stone then fell pregnant with my little boy.

On day 1 try and keep yourself occupied. I find small jobs to do (don't go mad with strenuous activity, it'll make the hunger worse) Read a book, watch a film. Some people think of the first few days like they are unwell and have a few days in bed!

Writing a diary about how you feel can also help, as there are probably many people thinking the same things as you are on this forum that can help talk you through the "demons" that are niggling away on your shoulder!

You can do it hun. Dertimination is the first step, the second is persevering. Take it one day at a time.

Hugs x x x

Hi there...

I think the most helpful thing I've ever heard regarding the shakes/soups/bars is that really they are medicine, not food and so you just need to get them down you. There will be something that you get on with, whether it's the banana tetras or having a chocolate pack warm. And a few weeks later it might be something else. At the end of the day, it's special magic powder that makes you lose weight in a quick and healthy way.

When you have a few stone to lose it can be daunting, but the way I've looked at every challenge I've faced since I first started is that the time passes whether you're doing the diet or not. That applies to pretty much everything in life! The other important thing is to choose to do it...not to feel like it's a prison or a punishment, in 3 months you'll have lost more than 4st, I promise. First time round I started at 18 st and by the end of 10 weeks I'd lost 3.5 stone. It won't be easy all day every day, but once you're past week 1 it's easier, once you're past week 4 easier still and the time speeds up as the scales move down. I always think the very best reason for doing this is your health and your family so you've got a great motivational tool to keep you going all the way. I wish you all the luck in the world.

The things I wish I'd been told are:

1. Break down your overall goal into smaller chunks to make it more achievable
2. You aren't going to like all the shakes/soups/bars, but give them all a try and decide which you do like
3. Celebrate every success, no matter how small
4. A blip is just that - a detour to your ultimate goal. We all have them, it's how we choose to deal with them that means the difference between success and failure
5. Be kind to yourself, cut yourself some slack on the down days
6. Make time for Minimins, it's the biggest support you have because there's a wealth of inspiration, experience and good old commonsense on here

Good luck with CD, we're all here for you any time you need us :D

I had a lot to lose too. 22 stone 13lbs I started straight on sole source and it was hard but decided it is a choice I had to make. First time of doing a VLCD (wish I had done it years ago). Perhaps you should start on the higher steps (which CD recommend) then work your way down to sole source plus. Try and look back to why you are stopping on day one and devise tools and support systems to help you through. Once ketosis hits it is far easier. You need to stop punishing yourself and don't think of yourself as a failure. Perhaps the time wasn't right. Perhaps the additional weight will be more of an incentive. Your head has to be in the right place to do this 100%. Use this forum as its a great support system but only you can do this. :D Good luck. Jayne x

hi army-wife
u r starting ur journey at almost the exact weight i am now (having lost 37lbs so far).
if u feel like u might benefit from a diet buddy, someone to give u a prod when u need it and share those good times to, whether it be on here, msn, yahoo or by phone then im more than willing to apply for the position.
i have done cd twice before and was myself on the journey in 2009.
this time i aint going nowhere until i am at goal.
i am to be a bridesmaid for my sister in october so i want to be as close to goal as possible by then.
u have taken the biggest step by rejoining cd. thats the part i always put off for months on end saying 'i will start next week' knowing damn well i had no intentions of starting any time soon, i was just stalling.
from this point on the steps are much smaller. take each day at a time.
nothing feels better than completing a 100% cd day.
The pride u feel is awesome.
i wish i could bottle that feeling and remind myself of it when times are tough.
as for the flavours, i only have chocolate tetras and find it much easier than having a large variety.
whatever flavours u choose though, in time u become accustomed to them and in fact i have been known to miss them after leaving cd :eek:
keep the fluids up as this helps to keep the hunger pangs to a minimal.
above all else...... come on minimins and post. being involved actively with other people on cd is a priceless bonus, and the people on this forum are so supportive and generally awesome. :D

Hey hun, the advice you've had already is excellent, aNd not much more I can add, other than to say take it slowly!!

I sometimes even have to take it an hour at a time, (I.e in the next hour ill have another pint of water, and nothing else, at 4pm, I'll re-evaluate and see where to go from here) sometimes saying 'I'll not eat anything else now until I weight 10st' is daunting, scary and unachievable. Look at it an hour/day at a time, and keep yourself busy for the majority of that.

Set small goals, 7lbs at a time is good, as you'll achieve one almost every week to start!! Also set non weight goals too, like 'fit into size x clothes', 'buy clothes from x shop', 'have a BMI of x'. They really help when the scales aren't showing the 2st a week we all crave, and you find measurements change when weight doesn't.

You CAN do this Hun, sit and write down why you want to (or print out your original post!!), and stick it somewhere. On the fridge/in your purse. Each time you look at if you'll remember. A lot fo the girls on here use 'the beck diet solution' which is a book that encourages you to keep a diary type thing, and really helps you to sort out the head side of dieting, and in turn the scales will follow.

Good luck with it Hun

:)

Back