Recipe ideas for someone who can't cook!

icklekimmy

Hi everyone. I am in week five of slimming world and am starting to run out of ideas of things to cook. I am literally hopeless in the kitchen and have been sticking to very plain meals from the basics (grilled chicken and veg anyone!). The other bugbear is my bloke doesn't eat veg or anything that has bits of veg in it so have been having veg on the side.
I have tried looking at SW recipes but for a take it out of the wrapper and chuck it in the oven kinda girl some of them seem bit daunting for me! I don't want to get bored very quickly from eating same things over and over and end up reaching for the pizza.
So if any of you lovely folk have any of your own extra easy recipes that wont involve me burning my house down it would be greatly appreciated, also thinking mr can either start eating veg or cook his own tea!!

Ta very muckle for taking time to read this :p

Last edited:
Talking of pizza, have you tried SW pizza made with pitta bread? Wholemeal pitta from Co-op or Asda with passata, any topping, herbs and cheese. It's no harder than making a butty.

Your bloke could add his own toppings. Serve with SW chips and salad or mushy peas.

Doing SW is a great opportunity to learn to cook so give new things a go and good luck.

What about the mushy pea curry? I have that with rice or jacket potatoe and very very easy to make and far tastier than it might sound. Its basically mushy peas, baked bean, onion, curry powder I think (from memory)

lunchtime I had for example jacket potato, laughing cow cheese (hexa) on top of it, egg, cress, tesco extra light mayo, pastrami, salad, grapes. Was so filling and didn't feel like diet food

A lazy tea for me is egg and chips and beans, or mushy peas

Or sw chips with a sweet and sour mug shot poured over the top, I then usually have fruit salad afterwards to compensate, but all free food.

Pasta bake? cook pasta, in a frying pan dry fry chunks of chicken breast, bacon, garlic clove crushed, onion finely chopped, mix in with the pasta once all thoroughly cooked, add a carton of passata, top with hexa grated cheese and brown in the oven, serve with veggies for you and even on its own for hubby?

also what about chicken breast wrapped in bacon? Some use a laughing cow triangle between bacon and chicken too, very yummy with little sw roastie potatoes and veg?

The homemade burgers were delish out of the latest sw magazine and very very easy to make. extra lean mince, an onion finely cut, some chopped parsley, 2 tsp worcester sauce, 2 cloves of garlic crushed. Mix together, form into burgers and cook. We had them with one wholemeal roll (hexb) 3 little burgers, rasher of bacon, lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, and served with sw chips and salad and it was really lovely

Chicken breast with laughing cow and bacon sounds yum, like my old fave ready made ones from morrisons but half the fat.
Might try some from the magazine this month too. I am had to google passata am that clueless!

Chicken breast with laughing cow and bacon sounds yum, like my old fave ready made ones from morrisons but half the fat.
Might try some from the magazine this month too. I am had to google passata am that clueless!

The chicken in bacon is lovely. I wrap foil round mine until cooked, remove the foil and cook again for 10 mins and the chicken stays moist :)

Passata is strained tomatoes. Its usually in a carton near the chopped tomatoes. Very cheap and can be used for lots of things :)

icklekimmy said:

I use phillidelphia (however you spell it) in the middle. Found it even nicer with the garlic and herb mix :)

Spicy Chicken casserole

Try this as a simple meal to prepare and you can do it in a slow cook pot and it's ready when you come home!

Pete’s Version of Spiced Chicken Casserole

(Original idea from page 62 in “100 Original Recipes”)

Ingredients for 2 people

2 x Chicken Breasts chopped into cubes
1 x large Leek
½ each Red & Green Peppers deseeded & cut into strips.
½ pint Chicken Bovril stock
2 Large Mushrooms chipped into pieces
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp chopped garlic
Salt & Pepper

Method

Place the chopped chicken into a hot pan that has been sprayed with Fry light and lightly brown, sprinkle with a few drops of “Worcester Sauce”
Either use a Casserole Dish or a Slow Cooker.
Add all the ingredients and bring to the boil, in the oven reduce the heat to 180 and cook for about 1-30hrs.
In a Slow Pot bring to a boil & reduce to “low” and cook for at least 2-00hrs
Serve with Free Vegetables

Attachments

• Petes Chicken Casserole.JPG
    Petes Chicken Casserole.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,771
You sound just like me ickle! I am useless in the kitchen and my OH won't touch anything with veg in it so while I'm now making healthier stuff for him he's ending up at the chippy! Although I cooked the Chicken dish Janet suggested and he said it looked lovely so I'll be be making him some next week (don't want to have the same dinner twice in one week).

Some of the simpler things I made are stir fry (there's bags of mixed stirfry in Tesco etc) bung some chicken into it and have with boiled rice of noodles. Very simple but lovely. Spag bol one day and then next day heated up the leftover sauce and added kidney beans and chilli powder for chilli con carne. Omellete? I;m running low on ideas now lol but the simplest stuff for lazy days for me include chips, eggs, beans or a SW grill up. I've tried the SW chips but not too fussed on tthem so tried the McCain Rustic oven chips today (1syn for 100g) and they were gorgeous!!

I'm only oon my second week and to be honest did have to think hard today to come up with a dinner idea but ended up with omelette chips and syns free BBQ Sauce yum.

There's the batchelors pasta and sauce packets aswell that go lovely with chips and watever you fancy!

Good luck

Pete's Spicy Drumsticks

HI There.
Made this last night for our BBQ night.

Pete’s Spicy Chicken Drumsticks 2

(My version from SW Mag March/April 2011)

Serves 4
Extra Easy 1 Syn

Ingredients

10 Chicken Drumsticks, skinned
1 Tbsp hot paprika
2 Tsp Turmeric
4 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp garlic salt
2 Tsp ground ginger
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Method

Slash the flesh of the chicken a few times and place in a large bowl.
Mix the spices, soy sauce, garlic salt, ginger & vinegar, then pour over the chicken and cover then marinate for 6-8hrs.

Preheat the oven to 200c, place the chicken on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cook for 10 mins then lower the oven to 180c for the remaining 20-25mins or until cooked through.

Have with a Salad

Attachments

• Spicy Drumstick 1 (Large).JPG
    Spicy Drumstick 1 (Large).JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 577
Thank you for these suggestions!!! Have been naughty the past three weeks due to work shifts and not going to meetings so going to get back on track.

Whizz up some quark and smoked salmon trimmings with a squeeze of lemon juice for a nice dip? Am completely addicted to this at the moment as it's so easy!!

also what about chicken breast wrapped in bacon? Some use a laughing cow triangle between bacon and chicken too, very yummy with little sw roastie potatoes and veg?

The homemade burgers were delish out of the latest sw magazine and very very easy to make. extra lean mince, an onion finely cut, some chopped parsley, 2 tsp worcester sauce, 2 cloves of garlic crushed. Mix together, form into burgers and cook. We had them with one wholemeal roll (hexb) 3 little burgers, rasher of bacon, lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, and served with sw chips and salad and it was really lovely

sounds lush thanks x

I wasn't that brilliant at cooking or thinking up idea's until I went on the recipe pages here, my oh thinks all his christmas's have come at once he hasn't eaten so well in the 6 years we've been together not only that he is losing weight as well.

The burgers I totally agree are so easy to make but had to put mine in the processor to blend the onion in and added a tsp of lazy chilli the second time i made them gave them a little bit of a kick but oh so worth it.

Pete’s Low Syn Pizza’s (2013)
Serves 1
Ingredients
1 Warburton’s soft brown sandwich “thin” (5 syn /2= 2.5 syn per ½ slice)
1tsp Oregano
1tbsp Tomato puree (s) (sff)
30g Strong cheddar, grated (1Hea)
400g Chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)

Method

In a small saucepan cook the tomatoes on a high heat to boil down the liquid, add the tomato puree, reduce to a smooth constancy, set aside.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C, use a pizza stone if you have one.
Using a shallow flat pan, brown both sides of the “thins” remove, coat with the tomatoes, sprinkle with the cheese, place in the oven for 10 mins, remove & enjoy!
Warburtons Pizza (Small).JPG

Ohhhh that sounds so nice, will give that a try, thanks :)

Back