Recipes

Had this for my afternoon snack today, yum! I used half a nectarine and half a plum in place of the strawberries, and just a splash of water instead of ice because that's what I had.

It's listed as a breakfast recipe but I would definitely need something else to go along with it if it were for breakfast as it was quite a small portion. :)

SBD Oat Smoothie

Serves 4 - 190 calories per serving

475g strawberries, halved
230g fat-free natural yoghurt
4 tbsp dried skimmed milk
30g walnuts, chopped
3 tbsp oat bran
1-2 tbsp sugar substitute
90g crushed ice

Blend well and serve!

Super yummy! The vegetable blanching is a bit of a pain but you do want to cook them a little before they go on with the chicken or they'll be hard. Next time I'll either throw them on the grill alone first or chuck in the oven for a short time and see how that works.

Moroccan Chicken Kebabs (Phase 1)
(from SBD newsletter)

Description
These North African-inspired kebabs are marinated for just 20 minutes in a vibrant blend of yogurt and spices. Served on a bed of couscous on Phase 2, they make a bright, exciting supper. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 1" pieces
1 small red or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1/2 medium courgette, cut into 1/4" thick rounds

Instructions
Stir together yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat grill or BBQ. Blanch bell peppers in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh with cold water. Blanch zucchini for 1 minute. Drain and refresh with cold water.

Alternate chicken cubes, peppers, and zucchini on skewers. BBQ or grill the kebabs until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.

Nutritional information
Per serving:
201 calories
5 g fat (1 g sat)
10 g carbohydrate
29 g protein
3g fiber
383 mg sodium

Back