Recommend A Diet?

nikkx

I am new to this whole diet thing! & after reading a few & how they work; i am TOTALLY confused! there is sooo much information to take in!

Im looking to lose 20lb before christmas (14 weeks away)

Can anyone recomend a diet that has worked for them, that is easy to follow.

Thats not a whole lot of weight to lose.

If I were you, use my tried and tested 'eat less, exercise more' routine.

Jog on an empty stomach in the morning, eat porridge or special k etc for breakfast afterwards, a salad or similar for lunch and a small evening meal of meat/veg or pasta etc. Cut out bread.

Jog in the evening, or some other form of exercise.

Alex's simple method is based on more calories burnt than you consume. If I remember correctly 3,500 calories = 1 lb in weight. A deficit of 70,000 calories in 14 weeks (approx 98 days) is 715 ish a day. Google maintenance calories, there are numerous websites which will calculate how many calories your body needs to maintain its current weight. Let's say for example it is 2,000 that would mean you need to consume less than 1,285 a day. This is without exercise. Jogging and other forms of exercise will increase the deficit as your body burns more obviously.

Keep a running total of calories you consume during the day, don't go over your maintenance less 715 calories per day and hammer the exercise.

Sounds simple but we all know its not as easy to do as it is to say.

Look for some pictural inspiration on the forums, its all around you, immerse yourself in this forum and share your pain with the others around you.

What do you reckon?

I Love this idea!

Due to working far from home and having to travel for at least and hour & half every morning & night, I find it hard to fit in exercise!

I have worked out roughly 1,000 calories a day, maybe less if there is no exercise/walking that day.

Congrats on your weight loss! The difference in the pictures is amazing!!

Dont do a diet hun, make a lifestyle change...by eating healthy food. I have now lost nearly 10 stones the first 8 by only eating 1000 calories a day...which was so hard and in the end my body refused to drop anymore. Then I joined slimming world for the last 2 stone...best thing I ever did, my only regret is not joining sooner so I didnt starve myself for 2 years. I eat more now than I ever did...and I get to enjoy all the little extras within reason x

I was told not to diet, it had to be a lifestyle change, that would last forever & not just a few months.

Moneys tight so im trying to avoid joining clubs & doing diets that mean i have to buy specific foods/brands.

Im looking to lose 6 stone & drop from a size 18/20 to a 12, although compared to other people on the site it doesnt seem that much!

How long did it take you to lose 10 stone?

I have done it over the last 5 years, had a few blips along the way but it was well worth it. Trust me you can do slimming world on a budget, pasta potatoes etc dont cost very much x

I don't starve myself by any means, and my 6 stone came off in a around 6 months. its definitely a lifestyle change because now I've lost the weight my maintenance level is lower and I have to keep eating healthily in order to not put it back on.

Everything in moderation.

thanks alex! you'v really helped.

i'd love to lose 6 stone in 6 months!! I think i'l try to eat under 1,000 calories each day.

using the site should also help as everyone's been really supportive already! dreading the weekend though; but things NEED to change :) x

I read recently that whatever diet you do you will lose weight if you cut down calories.

Calorie counting is very simple but you shouldn't really go below 1200 a day. Sticking to your alloted calories is a lot harder but if you have the will power then you will hopefully suceed!

Good luck!

If you choose your food wisely you can live on a pretty low calorie intake and still feel good :).

6 stones in 6 months is very ambitious if youre not on a VLCD. Be careful youre eating enough calories, 1000 doesnt sound a lot. Dont pick a number of calories to consume because you 'think' its right. If you eat too much you wont lose at a good rate.

An average weight loss for a food based diet is around 1 or 2lbs a week (half a stone a month) the only diets youre going to get a stone a month is something like Exante/CD or LL which are food replacement diets

Its nothing to do with being lazy thank you very much. How rude!! Its a FACT that one stone a month is not practical for a food related diet.... besides men lose faster than women do.

Sticking religiously to a calorie controlled diet or food diet doesnt guarantee a big loss and its very unfair to make something think a stone a month is completely doable when in actual fact its very unlikely. You were very lucky to lose like that but youre the exception - not the rule.

Nikks original goal of 20 lbs in 14 weeks is far more practical

I agree with your method, Alex. I think that it is a simple equation of calories in versus calories out, however you also need to make sure you are covering all your vitamins and minerals etc. Having read the 600 cal - 6 weeks thread (and all the posters not just the original one), I worry that some people take this to the extreme and deprive their bodies of essential nutrients.

Definitely I believe upping the exercise is the key. It makes your metabolism work more efficiently and also allows for a greater calorie intake meaning no-one should need to drop below 1000 cals a day.

Not sure if that makes sense!

Just to add though, that men do shift weight faster than women. Might be because men are allowed more calories though so are less likely to fall of the wagon :D

Good Luck on whatever you decide Nikki and use this forum for support. It's great.

i never said i wanted to lose 6 stone in 6months, i said id love to, although i know it will be a hard push, so im doin it in small steps, & losing 20lb for crimbo is my first!

as for lazy, although i was shattered lastnight i managed to get the wii out for 90mins :D

i never said i wanted to lose 6 stone in 6months, i said id love to, although i know it will be a hard push, so im doin it in small steps, & losing 20lb for crimbo is my first!

as for lazy, although i was shattered lastnight i managed to get the wii out for 90mins :D

That sounds a great target and totally do able :)

Keep us posted how you get on :)

My first proper post after the introduction thread. Firstly, Alex, inspirational stuff mate, just what I was looking for!
I've managed to drop about 1 stone 11 pounds in 3 months by eating like Alex suggests but with a lot less exercise.
My typical daily food intake is:
Breakfast at 7.30am: bowl of mixed cereal with skimmed milk (normally 1 weetabix, few spoons all bran, few spoons muesli and special k).
Lunch at midday: tuna salad, chicken salad or sushi box
Afternoon snacks: apple at 3pm and a banana at 5pm
Get home from work about 7.30pm and eat a handful of mixed almonds and walnuts.
Dinner at about 8.30pm after helping put kids to bed: piece of fish and mixed veg. Sometimes just sardines on two bits of wholemeal toast. Always followed by low fat yoghurt with 3 tablespoons of porridge added. Then after that a couple of squares of dark chocolate with almonds. Occasionally a glass of red.

I go to the gym 3 times a week, twice for cardio (1 hour) and once for weights (45 minutes). What have I given up? Mostly carbs (bread, white pasta, potatoes).

Works for me so far. Oh, and I'm a man.

:lost:
just a wee quick question

weighed myself at the weekend - 16st 8lb
weighed myself lastnight - 16st 5lb
weighed myself this morning (as i couldnt believe lastnight!) 16st 7lb

not sure what would be more accurate? or the best way to tell lol.

:sign0163:

:lost:
just a wee quick question

weighed myself at the weekend - 16st 8lb
weighed myself lastnight - 16st 5lb
weighed myself this morning (as i couldnt believe lastnight!) 16st 7lb

not sure what would be more accurate? or the best way to tell lol.

:sign0163:
16st 6lb? :D. Weight fluctuates somewhat from day-to-day because of variations in food and fluid consumption. Weighing yourself in the morning, after going to the bathroom and on an empty stomach, is usually best.

Back