Recovering from Binge eating - is the slimming world diet way forward?

stacey2kl

Hi there,

I was bullemic around age 18 for around a year before then turning into a binge eater which i have had counselling for but really didnt do that much good. I have battled this for a few years now and have come a long way from binging every day as i use to - i am at around between 1-3 a week which is great improvement!

I am 23, i am super active and weigh 8st 10. My heaviest has been 9.5 at the peak of binging, i know if i stop binging eating i would be much more comfortable with my body.

I would ideally like to be around 8st - 8st 2 (which is probably my natural weight)

I understand some of you are heavier in the forum and please do not explode at me for asking for help.

Im hoping this diet will help me as i wont be resticting as i do at the moment. I am a all or nothing person - if i have one cookie i think bugger it i might as well have 10 and that is not the right attitude.

Im really positive about this diet which in turn should be treated as a life style.

Can anyone share any expierences?

Thank you xxxx

I definitely binge eat and have done on and off since I became a teen (21 now), though I've not gone to the drs about it. I would highly recommend SW, as once you're following plan, you start to enjoy such a variety of healthier foods, that you find you don't have so much of a taste for your cravings. The huge plus is you can use your Syns on things like a funsized chocolate bar or a portion of take away or condiments etc. to curb the cravings. I lost around 1.5 stone last year and unfortunately had an unsettling year diet wise (moving abroad and about to return) but I'm confident that in the summer when I'm back in UK, I'll be able to return to SW and control the urge to binge.
Even if you decide to go for SW, I would recommend using your Syns firstly for stuff like condiments or healthy fats etc, as buying a big bag of funsize sweets, could still be dangerous! Recently if I've fancied a synned treat, I will just buy one (using the single chocs stacked next to the supermarket till to my advantage). Taking home and enjoying one thing is far easier, than having the whole pack stare at you. At first when your body is adjusting to SW, your cravings may be all you think about, but it goes! I know, having to deal with it everytime I fall off plan! When you've cracked SW, your body even rejects the naughty food you used to love and you just want to reach for the fruit and veg! Being able to eat unlimited Superfree and Free foods means you can fill yourself up; just another way to beat the cravings. My last tip I can think of right now is meal planning! Don't become obssessed but making a SW meal and exercise planner really helped keep my focus, instead of staring into the fridge wondering where the next meal was. On SW I feel like I'm eating completely normally and it feels good; inside and out!

Sorry for the waffle, but I'd say it's worth a good go! Good luck!

binge eating has led me to the position i find my self in now :confused:

i am trying to conteract it with slimming world, trying to direct binging to free foods :rolleyes:

often refer to my self as a failed bulimic, binge eating seems to be largely ignored but at times it has controlled my life

with the help off slimming world i am tackling it and i truly feel slimming world can help me xxxx

I was treated for Binge Eating Disorder about 10 years ago, when I was at my heaviest (20 stone). The therapist's advice was to move away from weight loss plans completely, and I can understand the reasoning for this. At the moment, I'm managing fine on SW. I've been 100% on plan since I started in August and have lost nearly 5 stone. I haven't binged once in that time. However, I know that for me, food optimising won't be a way of life, because in the real world, we shouldn't have to think about HEXs and syns and 1/3 superfree etc and a binge can strike at any time. But for now, it's doing the trick. I can see the logic behind the plan, but think it's also slightly bonkers as well. Actually, this week I've been doing the Jigsaw Unit diet and have really enjoyed eating white bread and cornflakes again, and not having to worry about how much milk I'm having. If I have a loss at class this week. I'm going to carry on following Jigsaw for a bit longer.

stacey2kl said:
Hi there,

I was bullemic around age 18 for around a year before then turning into a binge eater which i have had counselling for but really didnt do that much good. I have battled this for a few years now and have come a long way from binging every day as i use to - i am at around between 1-3 a week which is great improvement!

I am 23, i am super active and weigh 8st 10. My heaviest has been 9.5 at the peak of binging, i know if i stop binging eating i would be much more comfortable with my body.

I would ideally like to be around 8st - 8st 2 (which is probably my natural weight)

I understand some of you are heavier in the forum and please do not explode at me for asking for help.

Im hoping this diet will help me as i wont be resticting as i do at the moment. I am a all or nothing person - if i have one cookie i think bugger it i might as well have 10 and that is not the right attitude.

Im really positive about this diet which in turn should be treated as a life style.

Can anyone share any expierences?

Thank you xxxx

Hey I'm trying to recover from bulimia too :) SW is great for not making you feel deprived and I am an all or nothing person too which I'm trying to change. My advice would be not to get too hung up on syns, I would find that if I went slightly over I'd think stuff it and eat everything! Im finding it hard to trust the plan atm but thats just me! Good luck! I can relate :) Message me if you wanna chat :) x

I have recently relapsed back in bulimia which I managed to 'get over' a few years ago with therapy but the bad thoughts never fully went away. I am trying to follow slimming world but unfortunately struggling to not purge the food. I havent binged though, just purged. I agree with finding it hard to trust the plan too! I plan on mash potato and quorn sausages for tea all syn free but I dont trust I will lose weight if I do eat it. I considered following weight watchers but the restrictiveness of it would tip me over the edge and throw me back into being EDNOS.
We CAN do this though!! We can recover and beat eating disorders and lose weight at the same time. Takes time and hard work but I think if we're open minded and keep a clear focus on the goal of becoming healthy both mentally and physically then it can be achieved. Good luck to you and you can message me if u ever want a chat! xx

I too am a failed bulimic (tried to make myself sick on many occasions). I do pretty well on SW as a rule. I did binge last week but that was caused by giving in to a sneaky peek on the scales. I have a yoghurt, alpen light etc when I feel the urge. Sometimes I do have to give in. Best thing is just wake up the next morning & get back on the wagon.

As someone who has suffered for a long time without accepting it (until comparitively recently) with binge eating (not Bulimia), I've found I seem to be desperate to binge less since starting SW. I'm not sure why, but I am.

Doubt that's really any help, just my experience.

Back