Reducing my Syns a little

cheekychinchilla

Gold Member
Hey all!
I have been a bit up and down with SW over the last month or so-short breaks and days out and stuff getting in the way. But last week I had a 100% week and I didn't lose anything. A friend who is also doing SW suggested reducing my syns a little. I was going to wait until after Xmas, but then I thought why wait?!
So I'm going from 15 syns to 13syns per day. Worth a shot do you think?
Kelly.x

Hi Kelly

Well done on your 100% week, and sorry the Gods of the scales didn't reward you fairly with a loss.

Dropping your syns is certainly an option, but after just one week it's not one I would recommend.

Up to you of course, but I think posting a diary on here will be of more use, just so we can all cast our eyes over it and double check everything is ok. No point you doing a 100% week if something is wrong and you don't know!

I have kept a diary since I began my SW journey and people are always very helpful at pointing out errors and reminding us of the rules we forget from time to time.

That would be my recommendation :)

All the best

Im only in my second week but is it not better to have no syns if you can? does having 0 syns help with the weight loss?

It depends on what the reason was that you didnt lose anything, if you didnt eat enough in that week, then cutting down syns might have the same effect. There can be a whole loads of other factors which might prevent you from losing weight, it might just be one of those weeks and next week you could see a big loss. One week is not enough to go on I think.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water, as too much fibre and not enough fluid can leave you a bit bunged up.

Of course it may well be that you just need to tweak you intake ever so slightly. So lowering your syns may work. I just wouldnt cut back on them unless you really need to.

Did your sw group consultant look at your meal planner for last week? If not you could post it on here, and someone can advise from there.

Either way. I am sure you will do fine this week. :D

Im only in my second week but is it not better to have no syns if you can? does having 0 syns help with the weight loss?

I would definately not recommend having no syns, especially if you are just starting the diet, or have a lot to lose (which is my case :D). As when you do get down to those last few pounds to shift, if your weight gain starts to slow down and you have started off with no syns, then there is nothing for you to cut back on.

Syns are there for a reason. To be used :D. The recommended allowance is no less than 5 syns a day on original or red and no less than 10 a day on extra easy, according to the body optimise website.

I did just that this week! I put on 1lb last week and was so disappointed as I really thought I'd stuck to it so well!! So I took the decision to reduce my syns this week to see if it made a difference! I averaged about 6 per day and lost 3lb this week!! I'd eaten plenty though, just made the most of my free food and filled up on pasta, couscous, noodles, fruit, veg, quorn, eggs, baked beans, SW chips, SW roast potatoes and thoroughly enjoyed my food! I learned that it can be done!X

I forgot to say that because I'm still relatively new to SW-I did two months, then had a week or so complete break, and am now in week 4 of my restart- I was still using all 15syns per day.
I probably should start a food diary shouldn't I?? I keep track of my since and healthy extra's in a book, but not a proper food diary. I feel a bit wibbly about people seeing my food tho, it's a bit of a*thing* for me. I'll see how it goes this week and then maybe start posting one.
I know you're trying to help btw and I really appreciate it, it's just me being a bit daft :eek:

oh iv been having 0 syns everyday. I thought syns were for naughty things like chocolate etc i didn't know they were essential for weight loss! ooops

Well Pizzle84, they do say 5 to 15 syns, and I've been told that they're there as extras to keep us from feeling deprived! I didn't know that they were essential for weight loss either!! I have had better losses keeping them nearer the 5 mark, but BritMumInCanada does make a valid point! When we are near our goal and struggling to get there, it would be good to have something to cut back on without feeling the need to eat too little food (as this would defy the principles of SW, that we should be eating lots- of the right things!!)

well thank you guys for the head-ups on this! I'll try to have at least 5 syns each day.

Hey all!
I have been a bit up and down with SW over the last month or so-short breaks and days out and stuff getting in the way. But last week I had a 100% week and I didn't lose anything. A friend who is also doing SW suggested reducing my syns a little. I was going to wait until after Xmas, but then I thought why wait?!
So I'm going from 15 syns to 13syns per day. Worth a shot do you think?
Kelly.x

I agree that it's too early to be making changes after only one week of sts.

And have really thought this out? Say you were to go from 15 to 13 then you are only 'saving' 40 calories a day. Over the course of the week that is only 280 calories. Trust me, it's not going to make a difference. You could probably lose as much going for a walk and carry on enjoying your syns. :)

I know, I know :eek: It's only been one week back on 100%. The week before I was in York for two days and ate lots of stuff. Week before I had a night out, although I did syn everything. And it all messed up a couple of weeks before that and I had over a week off.
So I really am being a bit daft aren't I? I can't exercise at all at the moment, except for a bit of gentle walking, but I'm hoping that will change soon as my physio progresses.
Thank you all for you advice.xxx

There are women at target at my group who still have 15 syns a day, they never cut back!

You'd be better swapping your HEs about or doing a superspeed food challange, rather than cut syns.

I also suggest not cutting back on the syns just yet.
We are all different, but when I have a bit of a "bad" week, I find that the scales are normally favourable that week but it always shows the week after.
I have had the odd week when I had a couple of flexi syn days and still lost. It was the next week, despite sticking 100%, I either STS or had a small gain.
Our bodies are strange and unpredictable things!

i stayed the same aswell this week i had an accident on tuesday and put my back out so have been laid up all week but i still had around 12-15 syns a day. I am normally quite active so i thought this may have been it. Im still sore but am gonna try the wii fit later.

Back